Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Q re baking breaded shnitzel

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 5:51 am
I'm making breaded shnitzel and baking it in a tin pan. I have enough for 2 layers of shnitzel. can I do them together (with onions in bet or s/t) or should I do only one layer at a time?
tia

Seraph

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 5:56 am
Do you want them crispy? If you do layers, the bottom layer will be soggy and not crispy.

Shif

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 5:56 am
how do you bake breaded shnitzel w/out it getting dried out? How long? Do you use oil?
thanks

Ima'la

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 5:59 am
I bake it in a thin layer of oil - about 15-20 min. on one side (until soft), 10 on the other side. I never did it in more than one layer. It uses less oil and anyway I have no patience to stand over the frying pan!

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 6:06 am
One layer only ... and spray with a thin coat of olive oil ... if you put too much oil it will defeat the no fry idea ... and if you layer it - will definately be soggy ...

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 6:24 am
When I make baked schnitzel I dip it in Italian dressing, then the bread crumbs - I don't use any oil except for a spray of non-stick spray on the pan. Sometimes I don't even use dressing, and just stick to shake n' bake.

It doesn't dry out unless it's in the oven too long.

Esther23

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 6:31 am
I coat my chicken cutlets in mayo, spices then cornflake crumbs. I single layer it in a pan and bake it on 380 for 25 minutes. It comes out delicious and very moist. It's much easier than frying and it has the most delicious taste, we like it even better! The trick is to not leave it in the oven for too long, then it's dried out. I've never tried double layering it, I would imagine it would become soggy. Maybe you should put wax paper between the layers, see if that would help.

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 6:45 am
DefyGravity wrote:
It doesn't dry out unless it's in the oven too long.

I think thats the key to baking it.

momof2

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 7:40 am
I also put one layer of schnitzel in a pan...dont overlap it. I also put some oil on the bottom of the pan and then half way through baking, I turn the pieces over. Keep it well coverd. Mine doesnt come out dry either. good luck!

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 8:01 am
I don't even know how to fry schnitzel. (And why would you?????)
I use bonless thighs, it comes out very moist and its cheaper too! Dip in egg mixed with spices and breadcrumbs. Only one layer. Spray the pan and give a spray the chicken too before putting it in the oven.
When I do use chicken breasts I turn it halfway through baking. I think it's like 15 minutes on each side (depending on thickness).

amother

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 8:01 am
I dip the chicken in spicy duck sauce then cover on cornflake crumbs, Spray with cooking spray and bake- Delicious!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey