Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Potty trained as newborn
1  2  3  4  Next

myheartalk

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 12:21 am
This is the first kid I potty trained from two days old. I just didn't know I could do it this early before. I still use disposable diapers regularly for the times I'm too busy, lazy or distracted to pay attention but since most of the time I try to take her to the bathroom when she fusses or when she wakes up from her nap or periodically throughout the day or when we get home from a ride she uses much less diapers than my first kids. I hold her over the sink or toilet and say pish pish and she does. A few days ago I was at a bookstore and I found a whole book on it, I think it was called the diaper free baby. It surprised me to find a whole book of the things I had been doing on my own. I had heard that this is the way it was done in primitive cultures and that a mom who was not able to anticipate when her child had to pee got laughed at. I do it more so she will be more comfortable, not sit in wet diapers and feel attended to. It does take diligence and I do jump when I hear her fuss but I feel like I'm being a better parent for the extra effort. She is six months old now and expects to be taken to the bathroom and gets frustrated when I don't take her.

anon

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 12:31 am
I think that is the funniest post I ever read on Imamother.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 12:35 am
I've actually heard about this....To each their own I guess, and it saves on diapers!

MOM222

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 12:43 am
I think its kind of cool. But very exhusting.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 3:46 am
Great!! Now I have something to say to my SIL who STILL reminds me that hers was potty trained at 1 1/2 and mine wasn't until 3.
(her words to me when she still saw him in a diaper was:
Oivaaavoi lach!! Busha! Busha!" (I thought she was going to put me in time out..)

Now I can say:"One and a half? What a busha! This child was potty trained at 2 days! oyvavoylach!" Rolling Laughter

tm

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 3:52 am
may be nice for the baby but what kind of mothers have time for that????

hadasa

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 4:17 am
In the FSU all babies are trained this way. But then, their mothers get one to three years maternity leave and are not likely to have another baby or two within this time period.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 5:40 am
hadasa wrote:
In the FSU all babies are trained this way. But then, their mothers get one to three years maternity leave and are not likely to have another baby or two within this time period.

I don't think it's the babies who are trained, but the mothers. Tongue Out

ButterflyGarden

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 6:32 am
Reb. Spetner and Rav Orlowick (and most gedolim in chinuch) say you are damaging your child if you try to push milestones on them that they are not ready for. According to their shita you should not try before 2 1/4 at the earliest, preferably between 2 1/2 and 3. Reb. Spetner says it's better for your child to not be accepted to gan or chader then to push them to achieve something they are not physically or emotionally ready for.

ButterflyGarden

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 6:33 am
btw, why is this under nursing?

binah918

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 6:57 am
I'm not a psychologist, but from what I remember from an Intro to Psych course I took, wouldn't that make for a VERY backside retentive child?!?!

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 7:00 am
very interesting. I think its called process elimination or s/t like that and there is a thread in the potty training section on it (just go to potty training, the thread is right there).

Seraph

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 7:16 am
elimination communication, and I think BinahYiteirah started it.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 7:29 am
RivkaBatya wrote:
btw, why is this under nursing?

Probably because it's talking about an age when a baby should be nursing and not potty training. Twisted Evil

amother

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 7:53 am
RivkaBatya wrote:
Reb. Spetner and Rav Orlowick (and most gedolim in chinuch) say you are damaging your child if you try to push milestones on them that they are not ready for. According to their shita you should not try before 2 1/4 at the earliest, preferably between 2 1/2 and 3. Reb. Spetner says it's better for your child to not be accepted to gan or chader then to push them to achieve something they are not physically or emotionally ready for.

Wow, I'll tell my SIL that one next time!!

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 8:48 am
shalhevet wrote:

I don't think it's the babies who are trained, but the mothers. Tongue Out

in definate agreement there ... while it is good to be intuned to our babies ... wow - that does seem a bit much ... when exactly is the mother breathing ... since infants do tend to be pishing all the time shock

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 9:22 am
Yeah, I once started a thread about 'elemination communication' in the toilet training section. I read about it somewhere and was curious to know if and how it really works. (no, I didn't try it) I think its also part of 'natural parenting' (although many NP mothers dont do it)
OP, doesn't your baby wake up wet in the morning? or is she really trained to not pee in middle of her sleep?

shopaholic

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 9:34 am
I read a whole article on this last year in a magazine. Very interesting. My question is - with all the other things you're busy with with a newborn, isnt potty training something you could do without? Maybe I should have done it with DS & I wouldn't be where I am now - he's 2.8 & refuses to go on the toilet.

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 10:59 am
also, does this mean your kid isn't wearing diapers? she's wearing underwear? how often does she have an "accident"?

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 11:07 am
I think the potty can be introduced successfully at age 1 not sooner ...
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training