Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ganglion Cysts on Hands

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 10:16 pm
My daughter has a cyst on both hands where the wrist and hands meet. She keeps complaining that it is hurting her. The only option according to the doc is surgery. I don't want to do surgery. Does anyone have experience with this? How painful is it really? she says she can't write. If you have had experience with this please let me know. Thanks.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 10:19 pm
I've had it / have it
What is the reason your daughter has these cysts? Does she have arthritis? Has she seen a rheumatologist?
I wanted to avoid surgery in my hands if possible. Things are never the same afterwards. BH once my arthritis was under control with medication, I felt much better.
Change her diet. See if she needs medical intervention. She should definitely have a work up done at a rheumatologist.
Good luck!

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 10:19 pm
I've had one for years. Since they are fluid filled they can get larger or smaller. Having surgery to drain one doesn't mean it won't come back.

esther malka

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 10:40 pm
My son also had one, the dr had said wait it will go away or can drain but chance of recurring. We chose to wait and it did go away after what seemed like a long time, maybe even a year. But, it did not bother him, he thought it was a cool thing to show his friends ( he's a boy after all).
Hatzlacha! Refuah Shelaimah!

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 11:46 pm
I've had one. It stuck around for about a year, fluctuating in size depending on how much I was using my hands and my diet. The two things that really helped it shrink were sleeping with a brace and cutting out sugar and dairy. Oddly, when I got pregnant it disappeared completely. My baby is now five months old and I'm starting to see it return. Oh well...
It can get quite painful and even cause some numbness. If you want to avoid surgery ask the doctor about draining it. Draining it will just make it smaller so the symptoms are alleviated; it won't cure it completely and it can get bigger again. But at least your dd won't be in so much pain.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics