Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shtisel - WITH spoilers :) including season 3
  Previous  1  2  3 75  76  77  Next

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:57 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I think ruhami looking into th escreen was her telling us that, yes, you can have your happily ever after.
And as for season 4, Ive read that it is still up in the air.
I really hope they dont make another season. 1 & 2 were great. 3 was eh, not as great and I think if they make another season it will be even worse, to be honest.

Funny. Dh thinks season 3 was by far better than 1 and 2. More realistic.
I enjoyed all 3... I would definitly welcome 4.

Mollie

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:57 am
I don’t agree, I think this was the best season. The character development was incredible, and the storylines were very well put together

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:53 am
Very interesting - at least to me Smile - article on how the producers of Shtisel hired Israeli artists to "capture the tensions faced" by Shtisel.

Until very recently there really was no culture of serious visual arts among Jews. Variety of reasons I suspect including that the Church was an important patron of visual arts because Xtians depended on iconography to mystify the religion and were expressly forbidden to read the Bible as the clergy was the only route - at least until Martin Luther altered that relationship. Jews were encouraged to read and didn't need visual "signs" to mystify the experience.

Of course there was sectarian support for the fine arts by the rich classes but until fairly late in the game, the Catholic Church was the only place employing visual artists.

How the Artists Behind ‘Shtisel’ Brought Akiva’s Journey to Life

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/0.....ion=1

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:56 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Very interesting - at least to me Smile - article on how the producers of Shtisel hired Israeli artists to "capture the tensions faced" by Shtisel.

Until very recently there really was no culture of serious visual arts among Jews. Variety of reasons I suspect including that the Church was an important patron of visual arts because Xtians depended on iconography to mystify the religion and were expressly forbidden to read the Bible as the clergy was the only route - at least until Martin Luther altered that relationship. Jews were encouraged to read and didn't need visual "signs" to mystify the experience.

Of course there was sectarian support for the fine arts by the rich classes but until fairly late in the game, the Catholic Church was the only place employing visual artists.

How the Artists Behind ‘Shtisel’ Brought Akiva’s Journey to Life

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/0.....ion=1
Shame, your article is behind a pay wall.

sequoia

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 10:03 am
Leonid Balaklav, mentioned in the article, is a family friend. We have some of his paintings.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 8:26 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I loved Shtisel, and what I'm about to say is not to take away from it.
But, in terms of getting the costumes and such right, these are some of the things that, to me, took away from the authenticity.
1. Most of the characters are dressed very authentically. But there were a few who were not.
In the scene where Lipa goes to hang up signs to find extras for the movie, two men stop him and argue with him. These two men do not look authentic and don't act the part.
Also, Zilberman, (Tzvi Aryeh's chavrusa) did not look authentic, I dont know why, but he didn't.
The low neckline in one scene for Gitty, as well as the short skirt for Shira Levenson and Libby also stand out.
2. Here and there, the characters would mess up a word or hav'arah.
Chanina says "Usevasel" instead of "usevatel."
A few times you hear "Besoros tovos" instead of "besuros tovos"
Also, Lipa says "hakoidesh baruch hu". Lol!
3. Chanina is seen not wearing a yarmulke in the last episode, when he takes his hat off.
4. I think they should have made Rachelli Warburg's father a bit less chassidish looking. Somehow, I think it would have been more fitting if he were a regular chareidi man in a short jacket, maybe a short trimmed beard or clean shaven, without curly payos. Rachelli is clearly a bit to the left of the other shtisel women, from the way she dresses, and her long hair. (Compared to Ruchami, Gitty, Tovi and Libby.)
5. I dont understand how the shidduch with Nechama (the mizrachist) could have ever happened with Sucher, when Sucher was a chareidi yeshiva bachur.

Ok I'm Very Late to this party/thread, but was wondering if someone could explain the finer details in this post, particularly about language and accent? I get the point about "usevsel", but not the ones about "besuros Tovo's" or "hakadosh Baruch hu"
Can someone please

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 10:45 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Ok I'm Very Late to this party/thread, but was wondering if someone could explain the finer details in this post, particularly about language and accent? I get the point about "usevsel", but not the ones about "besuros Tovo's" or "hakadosh Baruch hu"
Can someone please

Sure.
They try to make their Hebrew sound more yeshivish so they say Tayre instead of Toyra. That's good.
But they mess up when they say Besoyros toyvoys. It should be Besurois Toyvois. The word besura has a OO sound not Oy. BESUROS not Besoros.

Instead of saying Hakadosh Baruch Hu, he says Hakoydesh baruch Hu.
This is not sounding yeshivish. Its sounding wrong.

Jewishwoman25

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 12:08 pm
hi! opening this thread again bec I want to hear your opinion. who do you think is the most noble character and why? who has the most noteworthy character traits?

octopus

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 12:35 pm
I don't think any of them are noble. But my favorite character is shulem. He is sometimes so frustrating and a hypocrite but I just love him anyway.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 1:34 pm
Same as octopus. I loved Shulem. Dova’le Glickman is amazing. I have the hardest time thinking of him as a real human being outside his Shtisel persona. The others are all fantastic actors and their characters are intriguing but none strike me as noble. The ones who meld into the chareidi world best are Sasson Gabay (Nuchem) and Neta Riskin (Giti). Impossible to imagine Giti in a tank top and Nuchem can join any minyan in Geulah. Michael Aloni was great as Akiva but I always felt I saw the shaygetz in his eyes.

penguin

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 1:40 pm
Quote:
I always felt I saw the shaygetz in his eyes
Cholilah, he's a Yid (as far as I know). Chiloni, if you like, or not yet frum, as I would prefer. Though certainly doing a pretty credible job posing as frum.

[Hey, how did shaygetz get past the censor? They must spell it differently!)]

Chickensoupprof

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 2:20 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Same as octopus. I loved Shulem. Dova’le Glickman is amazing. I have the hardest time thinking of him as a real human being outside his Shtisel persona. The others are all fantastic actors and their characters are intriguing but none strike me as noble. The ones who meld into the chareidi world best are Sasson Gabay (Nuchem) and Neta Riskin (Giti). Impossible to imagine Giti in a tank top and Nuchem can join any minyan in Geulah. Michael Aloni was great as Akiva but I always felt I saw the shaygetz in his eyes.

I basically have the same colouring as he dark blond/light brown reddish hair and pale blue eyes you would think I’m a shaygetz too?

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 6:43 pm
Coloring?? Who said anything about coloring? My coloring is light as is that of most of my family. Where does color of anything come in?

ladYdI

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 7:38 pm
Where can I watch this?
Its not on Amazon prime
Is there any where to watch it free or how can I see it?

imaima

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 9:40 pm
I couldn't stand Shulem, I was bursting by the end of the last episode. It looked like he was out to mess whatever he could for his kids.

I really liked Zvi Arye's wife, she is so cool! And I felt for Lippe.

He doesn't have noteworthy traits, but in his talk with Ruchami, when he explains what it feels like to be married at 19 and have to care for a child already, I so felt the burden. I felt, Wow finally someone is talking about these things.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 2:24 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
I basically have the same colouring as he dark blond/light brown reddish hair and pale blue eyes you would think I’m a shaygetz too?
I dont think she was calling his a shaygetz because of his coloring. It was because of his character and how he acted verylazy sometimes. Not sure why you thought it was about his coloring.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 3:18 am
I thought Ruchami's husband (I forget his name) is a tzaddik.
Very fine noble traits.
He's a bit extreme at first, but he endears himself to the viewer when we hear that he is an orphan. That goes a long way in explaining some of his extreme behaviors.
In the third episode he proves to be a real man.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 3:21 am
I also think Tzvi Arye is a very good person. He is not appreciated by his family or anyone.
It was very touching how he gave up the singing career so as not to endanger his marriage.
It was touching also how he is so loyal to his father, despite his father constantly knocking him.
I also think Nechama is gold. She was too good to believe. Nuchem did not deserve her.

Libby is also made out to be a very noble character. She is loyal but has her priorities straight.

imaima

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 3:36 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I also think Tzvi Arye is a very good person. He is not appreciated by his family or anyone.
It was very touching how he gave up the singing career so as not to endanger his marriage.
It was touching also how he is so loyal to his father, despite his father constantly knocking him.
I also think Nechama is gold. She was too good to believe. Nuchem did not deserve her.

Libby is also made out to be a very noble character. She is loyal but has her priorities straight.

I loved all these characters too.

Also you could see that Nuchem could have ended up a different person had he let himself explore music more.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 3:44 am
I think its very unfair how they made Shulem out to be the biggest loser of the series.

Everyone else has a happy resolution. Except him. He ends up with broken glasses.
Page 76 of 77   Previous  1  2  3 75  76  77  Next Recent Topics