Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Chicken pox from varicella shot

freedomseek

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 8:05 pm
My son has a rash which looks like chicken pox a day after getting a varicella shot.
If it is a mild case of chicken pox is it contagious like the original disease?

In other words can he go to school tomorrow ?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 8:31 pm
I don't know what the CW is, not having given my kids the shot. (I'm older, different approaches then.) I do know that my kids caught it from a neighbor who had a mild case after the shot and they got it full blown.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 11:07 pm
Please call your pediatrician.

smss

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 1:49 am
A mild rash is a common side effect of the vaccine, though I'm not sure if it's typical for it to appear so soon after vaccination.
It is also theoretically possible to contract chicken pox FROM the vaccine since it's a live vaccine, though it's rare. And I'm also not sure if that would happen so quickly.
I guess it's also possible he was exposed to chicken pox BEFORE he even got the vaccine.

I think you should take him to the pediatrician. If it actually is chicken pox, he is contagious. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vp.....s.htm

smss

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 9:37 pm
Any update OP?

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 11:08 pm
Children are contagious after receiving the varicella shot. This is a little-known tidbit of info. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vp.....r.htm

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 1:27 am
This happened to someone that I know and it was a mild case of chicken pox right after receiving the vaccine. If this is the case, it is contagious. I would keep the child home till it's confirmed that it is not the chicken pox.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics