Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Yeshiva Ktana vs the Clifton Cheder

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 12:39 pm
Hi everyone. I was hoping that some current Passaic residents would be able to give me some insight into these two schools. We are considering moving to Passaic, however finding the right school for our children will be the deciding factor. We are looking into Yeshiva Ktana and the Cheder. I actually went to Yeshiva Ktana for elementary school back in the day when there were 1 and 2 parallel classes. I am familiar with the parent body that sends there, but am concerned that my children might feel lost in such a large school. I am less worried about the girls school. I am hoping that someone can tell me about the boys school. I heard that they don't focus on middos very much and its a bit hefker over there. Is there anyone on imamother who teaches there who can confirm this.
Regarding the Cheder, I actually like the idea of a small school, but have a few questions.
I heard people mention that "crunchy" families send there. What does that mean?!?!? Do the mothers adhere to the halachos of tznius? do the families have unfiltered internet or tvs? Where do the boys go for high school? Im only asking because I have no idea what crowd sends there. I heard that they are trying again to start a girls division. Does anyone know anything about that? How do they plan on being more successful then last time they opened a girls division?
And lastly, how hard is it to get into both schools? should I apply to both or wait until I decide which I prefer. I have a few children in various grades.
Sorry for the long post! Thanks in advance for all your help.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 12:50 pm
I have children in both. Your concerns are valid. The Cheder is trying to attract a more mainstream student/parent body. It's not simple. Especially because they cannot afford to work with parents financially like a bigger school can. Depending on the neighborhood you live in, it may be hard for your child to be the only Cheder kid. I will try to come back to the thread later when I'm not in a rush.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 12:54 pm
Thanks for your quick response. Are your girls in YKP and all your boys in the Cheder? Thats what I was considering, until I went onto the Cheder website and saw that they are opening a girls division...
Is there an area of Passaic/Clifton where most of the Cheder kids live?

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 1:00 pm
I have boys in both schools and and girls at the girls school. I do believe that part of the equation of restarting the girls school is the fact that their administration has undergone a complete overhaul since the girls school closed. I am hesitant to send my little one to the girls school though. I'm not sure I'm ready for her to be a guinea pig. There is also the social factor....

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 1:04 pm
Thanks again for your quick response! Since you have boys in both schools, can you elaborate on how the two schools are alike and different aside from size?
If you had another boy to send, which school would you send to now that you have boys in both schools?

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 8:12 pm
anyone else?

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 8:20 pm
I have boys only in ykp, so I can't comment on the Cheder.
I really feel that even though it's such a huge school, the staff really know and look out for my boys. We moved from a very different town and school system, and both boys & staff have been super welcoming.
Hatzlacha w the move, and welcome to the community.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 8:34 pm
I know a few cheder parents-there's no stereotype, I definitely know very frum parents who tznius, don't have tv's. Realize that tznius is very subjective but I'm guessing you mean covers all her hair...

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 8:35 pm
I don't have a definitive answer as to which school I would send in the future. It very much would depend on my child's needs.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 10:42 pm
Thank you for all the answers.
Right now we are leaning a bit more to ykp. Can anyone who sends there comment on the behavior of the boys? Does the school enforce derech eretz and middos? Is the boys school we'll run, or Hefker?
Thank u all for your time.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 11:13 pm
My son goes to Ybh and we've been extremely happy. Not sure if you didn't mention it because you're not interested or because you weren't aware that it's an option. Putting that out there...

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 11:14 pm
I've seen kids with exemplary middos and some with none. A lot of it will depend on the individual rebbe. There was one year that my son had a boy who was not very nice to say the least in his class. His rebbe put him on a pedestal though, and treated him like a star because he was a top learner. But that was one rebbe. Can't say they were all like that. For a school of their size, they are run very well. You do not get a feeling of hefkernus at all when you step foot into the building.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 1:15 am
Cheder mom here. Not all of us are crunchy Wink
I think there are a lot of Cheder parents who aren't yeshivish but see a lot of value in what the yeshivish chinuch system has to offer. Or maybe those are the parents I tend to notice since that describes my own situation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating