Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Prepare breakfast night before - ideas?
1  2  Next

gp2.0

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 5:09 am
5.5 yo DD wakes up like an hour before I do, at 6 a.m. I've been thinking for awhile that I should prepare her breakfast the night before so that she can serve herself and have a long leisurely time to finish her breakfast instead of the 15 rushed minutes she has now.

So...ISO ideas for breakfasts that can be prepped the night before and eaten cold. Smile Thanks!

ahuva06

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 5:22 am
Egg salad/cream cheese sandwich
Fruit and yogurt
Cereal and milk if she can pour herself milk

nicole81

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 5:24 am
Overnight oats

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 5:30 am
Cereal and milk (you could it the milk in a smal container), yogurt, muffin

Volunteer

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 7:07 am
Peanut butter and banana sandwich, hard boiled eggs, cut or whole fruit, cheese sandwich, omelette sandwich with tomatoes and peppers

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 7:48 am
nicole81 wrote:
Overnight oats

How do u do that?

CatLady

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 7:59 am
There are two overnight oats recipes that come to mind. One is making steelcut oats in the slow cooker. The other involves hydrating uncooked rolled oats in a mixture of yogurt and berries. Both are delish!

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 8:44 am
Yogurt with a straw
Put out cereal in a bowl, covered, and leave a small amount of milk accessible in the fridge if you trust her to pour without making a mess.

I have a relative who let's her younger kids take frozen pancakes or waffles from the freezer and microwave them. They're a little soggy that way, but the kids don't seem to mind and the mom doesn't trust them with the toaster yet.

kollel wife

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 11:29 am
You can put the milk in a sippie cup - without an insert, so it'll pour more easily, but will have a cover.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 12:31 pm
CatLady wrote:
There are two overnight oats recipes that come to mind. One is making steelcut oats in the slow cooker. The other involves hydrating uncooked rolled oats in a mixture of yogurt and berries. Both are delish!

Would love to hear more about the oats, yogurt and berries Smile

gp2.0

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 7:22 pm
kollel wife wrote:
You can put the milk in a sippie cup - without an insert, so it'll pour more easily, but will have a cover.

Thanks, I like this idea!

The trouble with putting milk in non disposable containers is that I find they start to smell after a week or two, even if they're washed right away.

She doesn't like sandwiches and I figured most sandwiches would get soggy overnight, so I didn't consider that option, but maybe she'd eat a peanut butter sandwich.

I'd also like to hear about the oatmeal berries and yogurt recipe. Smile

Our microwave is too high for her to reach so that wouldn't work. She can't work the toaster as the metal gets very hot. If the oatmeal is in a slow cooker she can't serve it to herself either.

Thanks everyone!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 8:19 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Thanks, I like this idea!

The trouble with putting milk in non disposable containers is that I find they start to smell after a week or two, even if they're washed right away.

She doesn't like sandwiches and I figured most sandwiches would get soggy overnight, so I didn't consider that option, but maybe she'd eat a peanut butter sandwich.

I'd also like to hear about the oatmeal berries and yogurt recipe. Smile

Our microwave is too high for her to reach so that wouldn't work. She can't work the toaster as the metal gets very hot. If the oatmeal is in a slow cooker she can't serve it to herself either.

Thanks everyone!

Can you use disposable coffee cups with covers for the milk?
And can you have the slow cooker turn off via a shabbos timer at 4:00am so that by 5:00am it has cooled off and she can serve herself?
I'd love to hear how it all works out! Smile
I would leave peeled hard eggs in a ziploc in the fridge (dash of salt for halachic purposes).
String cheese, cheese snack, yogurt with the top already opened but sealed in a clear ziploc, crackers, and other easy foods she can handle on her own. Maybe a hollowed out pepper filled with cottage cheese or tuna. Sliced vegetables or cubed fruits.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Dec 03 2015, 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

nicole81

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 8:23 pm
amother wrote:
How do u do that?

I do this in ball jars for myself to take to work. For the kids, you can use jars or regular/plastic bowls.

I take half a cup of rolled oat, a bit more than half a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, throw in some sliced or slivered almonds or whatever nuts I have around, and frozen berries. It sits in the jar in the fridge overnight and in the morning the oats are soft and mush and everything has soaked up the flavors of the berries. it's really delicious and healthy! I've also thrown in chia as well; really you can put anything in that suits your tastes.

Twizzlers

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 7:53 am
I leave out bowls of dry cereal on the table overnight, and plastic cups filled with milk in the fridge.
Also easily accessible are string cheese, rice cakes, crackers etc

mha3484

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 7:55 am
Do you eat the over night oats cold? I've never eaten cold oatmeal but I'm curious about it. How is the texture?

jerseygirl

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 9:33 am
I was in an overnight phase for a while... I'm out of it now, but it is a great healthy breakfast that makes the morning run smoothly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddGi1wwAISg

SorGold

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 10:16 am
Granola bars
Crackers or rice cakes and the to go PB cups
Muffins
Scrambled Eggs cooked in muffin tins with or without veggies.
Rice cakes with a set asside portion of eggs or tuna or cream cheese
Any prewrapped cheese and fruit

CatLady

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 11:31 am
The overnight oats are awesome, and a very convenient cold breakfast, like a smoothie in taste only thicker and not actually smooth. if you like rice pudding, you'll like this!

nicole81

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 12:14 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Do you eat the over night oats cold? I've never eaten cold oatmeal but I'm curious about it. How is the texture?

I eat it cold, and also at room temperature after it's been sitting in my bag for a while. The texture is kind of mushy, but with the fruit and nuts, it varies.

lucky14

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 3:52 pm
I'm not a fan of the refrigerated overnight oats, but you can always give it a try, your daughter may be. The crock pot kind doesn't sound safe for me, even if it's set on a timer. 5 years old is too young IMO to be touching a crock pot.
as for the milk containers smelling sour, try a glass with a lid. Glass washing out well, without remaining odor.
I like the peanut butter sandwiches idea. she can even have a half a sandwich and a yogurt or fruit.
or if she's ok with having cold waffles, you can do a waffle with peanut butter or chocolate spread on it.
egg salad is another idea.
But seriously, I'd just stick with the cereal and milk.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics