Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Minumum cost of frum living in detroit\cleveland?

amother
Black

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 12:22 pm
We are considering relocating to the midwest, and need to figure out the finances. What is the MINIMUM yearly income needed to afford life in these places? Including housing (3 bdroom plus basement and yard), utilities, groceries, car, tuition?

chocolatecake

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 5:15 pm
everyone has different standards of living so its hard to give a number, also how many kids you have makes a big difference. you can find a decent 3-4 bedroom fully detached house with a yard for 150-200k. cleveland has school vouchers. you would need two cars in both cities. the heimish food is significantly higher than ny but there are plenty of ou products in the regular stores. I have sibilings in each of those cities. both have husbands in kollel and between their salaries and and kollel stipends they are bringing home in the 50k range and managing just fine. one has two kids, one has three. obviously with more kids you need more money....both are very very nice welcoming growing communities.

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 5:23 pm
chocolatecake wrote:
cleveland has school vouchers

Unless I am mistaken (and I may be), the school vouchers in Cleveland are only if you live in certain areas (perhaps within certain public school districts?). I don't think they are available to all of Cleveland.

TwinsMommy

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 5:50 pm
we rent a 3 bedroom detached house in Cleveland with an attic, basement, and 2 car garage and our base rent is $1250 a month. We also pay sewer and water back to our landlord so our check is usually $1300 to $1400. So if you want to rent, not buy, there's opportunity there too. Not a LOT available as rentals though. Our house would PROBABLY be about $120 K if we were to buy.

I thought the same as OOTBubby about vouchers here. The folks I know that say they're not paying full tuition are getting tuition breaks from the school directly, not vouchers-- as far as I know. Here's what's funny. I THINK the school for which you can get vouchers if you live in that school's area is the public school which best meets my son's needs and I'm THRILLED with the school.

50K in Cleveland with a couple of kids sounds like you might be ok, but need a tuition break. I don't think I know a lot of people who don't get tuition breaks. My kids are in public though so I don't know inside info, just what my friends are doing if they happen to tell me.

Hope you come to Cleveland! Smile We love it here!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics