Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Chanukah gelt for teachers?
Previous  1  2

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 1:56 pm
chany-frum wrote:
My brother is a rebbe is satmar williamsburg,

do you have an idea how hard he is working? and how much he is getting paid .. ??

So yes getting a nice tip and a few nice words is a breath of fresh air

FYI

An average rabbi collects approx 5k a year in tips and it?s a nice percentage of the total income
[I]

Are you serious?????

my husband is a rebbi, and has been for over 15 years. He has never received even close to that in tips! He actually hates being given money, it makes him feel like a schnorrer. He prefers gift cards and sefarim.
what a ridiculous community , where a rebbi gets 5k a y ear in tips! crazy!!

pause

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 2:55 pm
amother wrote:
My boys are with their rebbeim for double the amount of time as the teachers.

Rebbe - 8:45 - 2:15 (includes recess, organizing sports and supervising, serving lunch) = 5 1/2 hours
Teacher - 2:15 - 4:45 = 2 1/2 hours.

It makes sense to me that a Rebbe would make more.

If the time spent was the same then I would agree.
I think she meant boys' rebbeim versus girls' teachers (not versus their own teachers).

pause

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 2:57 pm
amother wrote:
[I]

Are you serious?????

my husband is a rebbi, and has been for over 15 years. He has never received even close to that in tips! He actually hates being given money, it makes him feel like a schnorrer. He prefers gift cards and sefarim.
I can imagine that there is a very vast difference between their initial salaries, employment benefits, and possible bonuses from the cheder. Exploding anger

chany-frum

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 3:08 pm
amother wrote:
[I]

Are you serious?????

how much is your dh getting paid yearly?

and how-much are the students paying in tuition ??

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 3:55 pm
chany-frum wrote:
how much is your dh getting paid yearly?

and how-much are the students paying in tuition ??
\

$50,000 a year. He teaches all day, from 8-4. he gets no benefits, not medical, nor retirement, no tuition free for our kids because our boys are in a different school. Tuition in the school is about $9000 elementary, $10,000 middle school

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 4:19 pm
I had enough as well.
I'm being asked for:
$40 per child for my girls
$15 per English teacher for my boys
$15 for my child in playgroup
That's $135 for my five kids, plus we're expected to give rebbeim on our own, much higher amounts, plus bus drivers.
Sorry everyone, I teach and I think I got about $25 check from the school last year as chanukah bonus.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 4:28 pm
I gave up with the money tips. In my opinion it is demeaning to give a teacher $5 or $10 cash.
I write a nice note and give it with beautifully wrapped cookies or cupcakes. (Professional ones). I bake them myself and I wrap them nicely. Saving myself a whole lot of money.

I work full time (a lot more hours than most of my kids teachers) and whilst I don't have to prepare classes, I have to prepare plenty for my boss and the business and I don't get a tip. My salary is higher than starting because I earned the raise. No cash tips or bonus ever.

chany-frum

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 4:50 pm
amother wrote:

$50,000 a year. He teaches all day, from 8-4. he gets no benefits, not medical, nor retirement, no tuition free for our kids because our boys are in a different school. Tuition in the school is about $9000 elementary, $10,000 middle school

he is making in the range of 30,000 plus free tuition of his kids and free camp

tuition in the school is approximately 3000 a year

Jeanette

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 5:49 pm
chany-frum wrote:
My brother is a rebbe in satmar williamsburg,

do you have an idea how hard he is working? and how much he is getting paid .. ??

So yes getting a nice tip and a few nice words is a breath of fresh air

FYI

An average rabbi collects approx 5k a year in tips and its a nice percentage of the total income

So why not raise everyone's salary by 5K per year (and adjust tuition accordingly) and ban tipping?

Oh wait it's cash income.

chany-frum

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 5:59 pm
Jeanette

didn't think of the cash income Smile Smile

I think its simple , not everyone can afford a tip

so I would much rather keep tuition low, and whoever can afford can give tips

my brother got from one student last year , every rosh chodesh 100 dollars

flowerpower

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 6:06 pm
I gladly tip. My kids' teachers all have them for way more hours than me every day. I appreciate all their hard work. It's hard to scratch the cash sometimes but it's money well spent.

lizard8

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 7:01 pm
I love the organized class gifts. The teachers deserve recognition and it is always hard to find a perfect gift within budget. Instead of random gifts, the teachers end up with a nice gift certificate or cash.

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 10:29 pm
lizard8 wrote:
I love the organized class gifts. The teachers deserve recognition and it is always hard to find a perfect gift within budget. Instead of random gifts, the teachers end up with a nice gift certificate or cash.

Sounds great so long as it is signed "your students in 4th grade". Not everybody but Jane whose parents couldn't afford it this year. Or accept any donation (even if you have a requested minimum, sign their name if $5 is given instead of 20).

Orchid

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 10:36 am
Why do rebbeim get more than morahs who also work those same hours and "2 recesses?"

Answer: it's sexist. There is no answer. And it's a holdover from the system where men truly were the family providers. Any morah who is working all day is doing it to provide for her family no less than the man.

My next problem: anyone who says that the rebbe doesn't treat anyone (ie, the poor people) who don't give $100 a pop any differently does not understand basic human psychology or halacha. Even a tiny gift, like a pen, creates a situation where the recipient is more favorably inclined to the giver than before.

Halacha states if a man picks up the walking stick of even a known tzaddik (who presumably would be meticulous in judging fairly), that tzaddik is not allowed to judge that person's case, since he will be SUBCONSCIOUSLY affected by the very minute gift. A dayan cannot even take a single pruta from one of the litigants.

I'm all for nice notes and token gifts, but not big monetary payouts. Not fair to the poor people among us who are already shafted by the school.

STMommy

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 12:42 pm
The part I mind is getting hit up for Channukah gelt twice - once from the school collecting for the teachers as a group, and then again from the mothers in my child's particular class for her teachers. The request for which came after I'd already contributed to the school one.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics