Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Toys 4 u do they price match lower advertised prices
1  2  Next

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 1:28 pm
I was looking through their flyer and I saw all of their advertised playmobils and I planned on going in to buy playmobil because they were advertising $20 lower than actual prices elsewhere or that's what they claimed. Then I decided to just google these items and it came up between $8 to $10 lower on walmarts website with free shipping.

Now I do like to support Jewish stores but do you think they would price match. I hate asking because I'm not looking for a discount it's just that it is just as easy for me to order it online and I don't want to come across as a begger looking for discounts but I hate being ripped off.

If I am buying five sets that's $50. Does anyone know their policy?

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 2:43 pm
[quote="amother"]I was looking through their flyer and I saw all of their advertised playmobils and I planned on going in to buy playmobil because they were advertising $20 lower than actual prices elsewhere or that's what they claimed. Then I decided to just google these items and it came up between $8 to $10 lower on walmarts website with free shipping.

Now I do like to support Jewish stores but do you think they would price match. I hate asking because I'm not looking for a discount it's just that it is just as easy for me to order it online and I don't want to come across as a begger looking for discounts but I hate being ripped off.

If I am buying five sets that's $50. Does anyone know their

Almost all of the sets that they advertised with sale prices are always priced that way in Amazon.

kb

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 3:14 pm
I don't think it's fair to say they're a massive rip off. Their prices seem reasonable, and no one is forcing you to buy there.

How is having the same prices as amazon a rip off?!

kb

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 3:17 pm
And op, there's nothing wrong with calling them and saying that you found these specific models for a few dollars cheaper, but that if they could match the price you're happy to give them the business.

Ftr, it's possible they CAN'T match the price, since I assume their wholesale price would be higher than Walmart pays, just based on bulk pricing, etc.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 3:19 pm
Edit

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 3:19 pm
Op here, I am someone who shops online a whole day and Walmart is just as easy for me to go to as toys 4 u but I like to support Jewish stores If I can.

So yes, advertising that selling price is $20 more than what you are selling for is dishonest especially if it is not true.

Does anyone know if they price match?

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 3:20 pm
Edit

kb

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 3:23 pm
So say it irks you. Don't say they're a massive rip off. It's motzi shem ra and not nice.

(I do think that it's worth paying a few extra dollars to be able to go into a store, actually look at the items you're considering, etc. And these small toy stores generally are able to advise you about what toys are a good purchase - genders, age, etc.)

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 3:28 pm
kb wrote:
So say it irks you. Don't say they're a massive rip off. It's motzi shem ra and not nice.

(I do think that it's worth paying a few extra dollars to be able to go into a store, actually look at the items you're considering, etc. And these small toy stores generally are able to advise you about what toys are a good
purchase - genders, age, etc.)

I generally purchase a gift knowing exactly what I'm looking for.
I'm not one of those people that needs sales help in a toy store, so for me it's simpler to purchase online.

I think you're missing my point. I wouldn't davka be bothered by the fact that I'm paying a few dollars more in a small store. It's just chutzpa when a price is set by a maufacturer (such as Bugaboo for example), and you advertise the REGULAR SELLING price as a MEGA SALE.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 3:28 pm
Toys 4 u is not a small little Jewish store. The owner lives in Williamsburg and buys all close out and in bulk for all of his five stores. They own companies too and American costumes for example is their company so they are not only a retail store.

Many times whatever is on sale is an out of stock item because it's a year old and they bought it as a discount.

I have shopped there all the time and I always trusted them completely this is the first time I decided to just check. What they advertised is a plain lie. To write an item is sold elsewhere for $80 and we are $60 and I check online and its $52 with free shipping then they are doing false advertising to mislead the consumer form even checking.

I always trusted their ads now I know that I have to double check whatever I buy there.

That to me is so upsetting. I really looked at them as a store with honest pricing.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:
Toys 4 u is not a small little Jewish store. The owner lives in Williamsburg and buys all close out and in bulk for all of his five stores. They own companies too and American costumes for example is their company so they are not only a retail store.

Many times whatever is on sale is an out of stock item because it's a year old and they bought it as a discount.

I have shopped there all the time and I always trusted them completely this is the first time I decided to just check. What they advertised is a plain lie. To write an item is sold elsewhere for $80 and we are $60 and I check online and its $52 with free shipping then they are doing false advertising to mislead the consumer form even checking.

I always trusted their ads now I know that I have to double check whatever I buy there.

That to me is so upsetting. I really looked at them as a store with honest pricing.

In any case I purchased my Playmobil with Amazon Prime at less than Toys 4 U advertised price and had it delivered to my door.
Everyone does what works for them....

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 4:05 pm
By "regular price" they probably mean the MSRP which as a rule is generally higher than even the regular selling price. Look at mainstream stores like Macys for example, they always list their sales as WOW % off MSRP but I think you'd be hard pressed to ever find them actually selling for that "original" price. Maybe for a day or so at the very beginning of season for the very specialest suckers.

Last edited by seeker on Sun, Dec 06 2015, 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 4:25 pm
Edit

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 4:48 pm
So now we're going to incriminate a frum business by nitpicking whether there is a difference between "regular price" and "MSRP"? This is standard marketing practice everywhere. Whether or not it should be, and whether or not one should hold oneself to a higher standard, I don't think it's fair to flame a particular business for following standard industry practices. Take a look at Toys R Us's catalog and tell me if it's any different. (I have no clue, just pondering)

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 4:57 pm
seeker wrote:
So now we're going to incriminate a frum business by nitpicking whether there is a difference between "regular price" and "MSRP"? This is standard marketing practice everywhere. Whether or not it should be, and whether or not one should hold oneself to a higher standard, I don't think it's fair to flame a particular business for following standard industry practices. Take a look at Toys R Us's catalog and tell me if it's any different. (I have no clue, just pondering)

I didn't realize that this is standard industry practice.
I can go and on about how Toys R Us would most likely not do this as they can be sued for false advertising (as other chain stores have been... )

Feel free to buy a City mini carriage on Black Friday at the grand sale price of 249.99. Regular price- $300 Mega savings!!
Whoops, Mr. Google shows me that a City Mini was never $300. Not even at the MSRP. The MSRP is actually $249. 99.

I'm starting to sound petty, so I'll stop here. .. but I'll assume you get my drift. LOL

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 5:03 pm
Op here I went to toys 4 u and I was shocked to see how overpriced they are. I happen to be a big shopper there but I don't know if I will shop there again. I usually spend at least $1,000 there every Chanuka but one Lego set I saw was $30 more than Amazon. That's a big difference. Their prices were so much higher.

I had to buy this year because my kids were with me and wanted it now but I will definitely remember for next year to order from Amazon.

And no advertising that an item is sold elsewhere for way higher than msrp is lying and I wouldn't think a frum store would do that.
To me this is stealing and lying and misleading customers.

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 5:10 pm
OK I shouldn't have wasted nay time on this but searched until I found one playmobil item sold on both toys4usa and toysrus websites. The actual current price was the same on both. Toys4Usa had a higher "our price" which is not really arguable, it doesn't say it's MSRP or "regular" or anything. My in-laws bought my kids the identical playmobil toy on the "afikomen sale" I believe also at t4u for about $5 less than the current price at both t4u and tru.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 5:11 pm
please dont do this on a public forum. its really not right to do this as they will be losing a lot of business this way. if you dont like what you see then speak to them privately. but not on a public forum. I hardly buy there to begin with I just cant afford to spend so much on toys altogether. and I do like to walk in to a jewish store knowing that they dont have these ugly half naked barbies sitting on the shelf. but to each their own. I know I can take my son there that its a place that has no problematic pictures around. so you pay for that too. its a service.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 5:14 pm
seeker wrote:
OK I shouldn't have wasted nay time on this but searched until I found one playmobil item sold on both toys4usa and toysrus websites. The actual current price was the same on both. Toys4Usa had a higher "our price" which is not really arguable, it doesn't say it's MSRP or "regular" or anything. My in-laws bought my kids the identical playmobil toy on the "afikomen sale" I believe also at t4u for about $5 less than the current price at both t4u and tru.

Exactly what I wrote above. The prices are the same and in some cases more expensive at Toys 4 U.
If you click in the link above that I posted , (the Chanukah brochure) Toys 4 U DID write REGULAR price next to each toy with a price. ...

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 5:38 pm
Lemon I hear your point and edited some of my posts.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics