Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Good IT course for my husband in NY area?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 1:42 pm
Not sure if this is the right place to post this. My husband is currently in a job where he is not making enough and there is no future there career-wise. One of his strengths and what he is doing now in his job on a beginner level is IT etc. He is looking to take a real course so that he can be trained in IT and get a job iyh in that field. Does anyone's husband do this for a living and if so can you recommend a good place to go for training ?

He can go in Manhattan if needed or rockland county. Online won't be good for him because he hasn't had success learning online in the past.

please help! Thanks!

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 2:29 pm
When youy say IT do you mean network/lan administration or software development or web design

IT is a very broad field

Does he need a traditional school or would he be able to keep up with fast pace of a boot camp

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 3:27 pm
He said networking and administration is what he needs. I don't know about the type of course, I'd say a traditional type is better for him but he's open to any type. Time is of the essence so maybe the boot camp type would be good...

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 4:40 pm
Those that successfully complete boot camp usually get more job offers and hired faster
BUT... It's very stressful
You can sometimes cover a year of material in a month
That's brutal. You might want to research it and read some reddit threads on it

cm

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 5:16 pm
I'm not in IT and not in NY so no specific recommendations, but in general community colleges offer excellent career training at a reasonable price, and can provide the support that returning or non-traditional students may require. Our community college offers both associates degrees as well as shorter/faster certificate programs, which may be a good option when "time is of the essence."

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 5:37 pm
My DH went for IT schooling at New Horizons in NYC.
He had a good experience.

chany-frum

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 6:38 pm
My advice

Have him change to a batter IT company where he can gain lots of real experiences in the field

Would do for him much more than any course

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 8:13 pm
Dh got good IT training through a program sponsored by Agudath Israel. That was 25 years ago.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 12:16 am
amother wrote:
Dh got good IT training through a program sponsored by Agudath Israel. That was 25 years ago.

Project Cope ??

kollel wife

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 11:13 am
http://www.pcsnynj.org/educati.....port/

call them.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 5:09 pm
My husband also took training at new horizon in manhattan six years ago...great experience

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 7:13 pm
OP, what did you choose in the end. My husband is also pursuing this career path

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 9:17 pm
He didn't choose anything yet. :/

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 9:37 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Project Cope ??

Yes.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 9:38 pm
My husband is an information systems manager, and he thinks your husband might do well at a "boot camp" for CCNA. Google Cisco. He says there are a number of these "boot camps" in the city, and Lakewood has some too (he has hired many Lakewood guys). He does think the best programs are online, though. I know you said that won't work or him, but these courses are not that long, maybe he can stick it out. Also, he suggests doing a beginner level course online and then go more advanced in person.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics