Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Can I send my kids to school 22 hrs after antibiotic?

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 6:04 pm
My kids have strep. I gave them their first dose of antibiotics 2 hours after school started and kept them home all day. Can I send them on time tomorrow? How exact is the 24 hour rule?

abs

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 6:11 pm
You can send them to school. My dr. said I can send them once they've had a day's worth of antibiotics.

animeme

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 6:15 pm
I believe most doctors say theee doses. Uou should have that after their morning dose.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 8:11 pm
great, thanx!

luckymom1

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 11:02 pm
abs wrote:
You can send them to school. My dr. said I can send them once they've had a day's worth of antibiotics.

A day=24 hours. Not 22. Your child is still contagious. It takes a full 24 hours for the medication to fully set in. Please keep children healthy!!

luckymom1

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 11:04 pm
animeme wrote:
I believe most doctors say theee doses. Uou should have that after their morning dose.

Each dose should be given 12 hours apart ie no more than twice in 24 hours. Wait the full 24 hours please

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 12:12 am
No, Most antibiotics such as penicillin is 3 x a day, 8 hours apart.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 7:36 am
My doctor says wait the full 24 hours. I just posted that dd missed a party, and this is what they told me.

asp40

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 9:00 am
Yes, 22 hours is fine. 24 hours is not some magic number. If you get another dose of medication in before school that is ideal of course.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 9:14 am
My pediatrician told me that she can go after the 3rd dose. So as long as you got in the two doses the first day, and you give the morning dose, it's fine.

My DD got strep the day before a class play, and B"H was able to make it.

Simple1

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 12:55 pm
Chayalle wrote:
My pediatrician told me that she can go after the 3rd dose. So as long as you got in the two doses the first day, and you give the morning dose, it's fine.

My DD got strep the day before a class play, and B"H was able to make it.

I guess this is not Dr. Shanik? Because the question desk always tells me 24 hours and remain adamant about that when I said I heard that there's room for flexibility.

It's just so ironic because the kids are usually in school when they are the most contagious - right before they develop symptoms.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 3:05 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I guess this is not Dr. Shanik? Because the question desk always tells me 24 hours and remain adamant about that when I said I heard that there's room for flexibility.

It's just so ironic because the kids are usually in school when they are the most contagious - right before they develop symptoms.

No, even though I do use Dr Shanik's practice for my kids...one of my siblings is a Pediatrician and says 3 doses does the trick.

I don't take my kids to my sibling because it would involve a 2 hour drive each way.....

And I fully agree that the exposure occurs at peek contagion.

On top of that, the day after my DD had a well-visit at Dr Shanik, the day of my little sister's vort - she came down with strep. In the River Ave office they don't have separate sick/well rooms.....

mommyla

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 3:19 pm
Chayalle wrote:
On top of that, the day after my DD had a well-visit at Dr Shanik, the day of my little sister's vort - she came down with strep. In the River Ave office they don't have separate sick/well rooms.....

Yes they do! That little area to the right of the reception desk is for well children (I think - at least it was, at some point).

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 3:45 pm
mommyla wrote:
Yes they do! That little area to the right of the reception desk is for well children (I think - at least it was, at some point).

I mean the actual exam rooms. In the Madison location they have two sides, and on a given day they don't use the same rooms for sick and well patients.

But at the River Ave. location, a well visit can take place in the same room where a sick child was just seen.

My DD refuses to do well visits at the Madison location because she says there's more privacy at River Ave....it's quiter on the whole. But here's the drawback.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 5:09 pm
I've always heard 3 doses, but with the mis-use of antibiotics and antibacterial everything, I'm not surprise if things changed.

mommyla

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 9:31 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I mean the actual exam rooms. In the Madison location they have two sides, and on a given day they don't use the same rooms for sick and well patients.

But at the River Ave. location, a well visit can take place in the same room where a sick child was just seen.

My DD refuses to do well visits at the Madison location because she says there's more privacy at River Ave....it's quiter on the whole. But here's the drawback.

Interesting. I never realized that that's how they do it in the Madison office (probably because I've never taken a kid there for a well visit). I prefer the River office too, and Brick will do in a pinch but they definitely don't have separate well/ill areas.

thanks

Post Thu, Dec 10 2015, 2:59 am
24 is not a magic number. Someone could be contagious for 26, and another for 22. There is no easy way to know if your child is still contagious.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics