Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Brooklyn grocery question

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 9:18 pm
please put these stores in order by price - lowest to highest

glattmart
mountain fruit
paperific
gourmet glatt

chany-frum

Post Thu, Dec 10 2015, 6:04 pm
paperific
mountain fruit
Glattmart
gourmet glat

Leahh

Post Thu, Dec 10 2015, 8:28 pm
chany-frum wrote:
paperific
mountain fruit
Glattmart
gourmet glat

Agreed.
Don't shop in the last 2 but from what I've heard it's correct.

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Dec 10 2015, 11:29 pm
Mountain Fruit is expensive and I strongly dislike shopping there. (If its really nogea you can pm me and ill tell you why)
If you're already by Gourmet Glatt, why not go to KRM across the street? They surely have the lowest prices.

momx6

Post Thu, Dec 10 2015, 11:31 pm
Why not moishas on ave m? They have valet parking - very convenient! Very good prices too.

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 10 2015, 11:57 pm
I like Moisha's. Their general prices are reasonable and competitive to other local supermarkets, they often have great sales on items I use, the valet parking as momx6 mentioned, and when I've been there including at some high-traffic times there has never been too long a wait for checkout (though at high traffic times the aisles get a little hard to navigate. but it's set up decently in the first place. It's worse when a place is just hard to navigate at all times, I won't name names but you know narrow aisles that don't quite line up...) And they sell kosher organic pastured meat with a hechsher we use! And the prices aren't that much higher than the regular meat either! So yes I like Moisha's when I'm in flatbush.

If I'm in Boro Park I favor Landaus though. They accept wic and are nice about it - they follow the rules but don't make you jump through hoops or take forever figuring it out as if they don't do this 100 times a day. Their produce is high quality. I get the organization of their aisles more intuitively than other stores. And they have decent sales, too. Often (not always but often) including the best prices in town for eggs. Non-sale prices are not the lowest in town but I find the shopping experience at the cheaper stores is more headache than it's worth. Landau's I can be in and out with 2 weeks' worth of supplies including wic in 25 minutes (I know because I actually did that this week!) It has enough selection to have everything I need but it's not monstrously big like KRM where it can take you 40 minutes just to walk through the place.

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 11 2015, 12:01 am
The thing is it all depends from whence you've come & the quality of food you're getting. Sometimes being fresh means paying more. But then again you've left Pomegranate off the list. ShopRite as well ... where you could get normal every day items as well.

STovah

Post Fri, Dec 11 2015, 12:34 pm
In my experience Mountain Fruit is the most expensive of the ones you listed. Paperific is not convenient for me on a regular basis but I do shop there every few weeks if there are sale items that I'd like to pick up. I do most of my shopping at Gourmet Glatt since the prices are okay and their produce section is very good. I don't like the produce at KRM ,and I'd rather pay more on my groceries than have to make an extra trip to get produce.

chany-frum

Post Fri, Dec 11 2015, 1:24 pm
STovah wrote:
In my experience Mountain Fruit is the most expensive of the ones you listed. Paperific is not convenient for me on a regular basis but I do shop there every few weeks if there are sale items that I'd like to pick up. I do most of my shopping at Gourmet Glatt since the prices are okay and their produce section is very good. I don't like the produce at KRM ,and I'd rather pay more on my groceries than have to make an extra trip to get produce.

I agree with you , "you get what you pay for"

but the op was clearly interested in paying the least

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Dec 11 2015, 1:32 pm
Op actually didnt mention why she was asking. It may even have been a poll for a chanukah party... Smile
Although, it is probably because she wants the cheapest, but that is just an assumption we are making. However, if she wanted cheapest she probably would have mentioned KRM or Moishas.

Twizzlers

Post Fri, Dec 11 2015, 2:46 pm
chany-frum wrote:
I agree with you , "you get what you pay for"

If that were true, it would be one thing. But at some of the places you listed, more expensive certainly does NOT mean better quality.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Dec 11 2015, 2:51 pm
op here. I work near paperific glattmart and mt fruit. moishas is too far. I like to personally shop in the stores as opposed to emailing orders. I noticed gourmet glatt just put up a really nice website and id be willing to order from the site if the price was right...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics