Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
A reformist question.....

MatzosMama

Post Fri, Jul 01 2005, 10:11 pm
I just read an artical in the NY TIMES, about a 1999 event at the Western Wall....Is it ture that Ultra-Orthdox and Orthodox consider thoes of us in the Reform Movement Heretics?? Crying Why? Does this mean that I am less of a Jew? And that I can expect to be heckeled and harrased when I go to the Wall? This is a very serious case for concern for me. Sad Sad Sad

sarahd

Post Sat, Jul 02 2005, 9:58 pm
I wouldn't believe anything I read in the NY Times, especially not what they write about Orthodox Jews. I didn't read the article, but I can just imagine what it says. Orthodox Jews have serious problems with Reform theology (obviously, or else we would all be Reform) but a Jew is a Jew, no matter what he believes, and remains a Jew whom we love. There's no such thing as being "less" of a Jew. And you are certainly welcome to pray at the Western Wall, and will not be heckled - as long as you pray in the halachically accepted manner. After all, prayers at the Kotel have been conducted according to halacha for the past 2,000 years and the Orthodox, it's true, have been known to react heatedly when others try to impose their own methods of prayer on them. But if you come to pray (and not to make a publicity statement, as the "Women of the Wall" do) you will be treated no differently than the hundreds of other Jewish women who pray there every day.

roza

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 1:27 am
We need to separate heretical ideas from a person. There are good jews with heretical ideas, which does not make them heretics h'v.
(I think u need a poisek or beis din to declare a particular person a heretic)
So, as long as you don't walk into mens' section, everything will be just fine by the Western Wall and you will have a soulful experience.

Peace.

Last edited by roza on Sun, Jul 03 2005, 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total

chavamom

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 1:28 am
I agree with Sarahd's post. While we disagree with Reform theology, we have no 'beef' with Reform Jews - a Jew is a Jew is a Jew.

As for the NY Times, there have been several famous cases of stories being carried about 'ultra-Orthodox Jews' throwing things (rocks, excrement, etc) at non-Orthodox worshippers - that were later proven to be forgeries. The most famous was a story written by a young women who claimed to witness a woman being thrown out of a wheelchair (which, according to her fabrication, the Orthodox believe to be forbidden on shabbos - er, NOT!). It was a huge scandal, but at least in this case it was a transparent forgery and easy to refute. But not after many had read the original account and believed it Sad .

MatzosMama

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 10:34 am
I must apoligise, the artical was a CNN broadcast from Feb 1, 1999.....It was a transcript....is was re: a group of Reformist Rabbi's that went on a trip and wanted to pray at the wall....There were several women in the party and there was a special place corded off to the side for then to pray as a group....As fa as I can tell it was not very nera the wall and kinda in the middle....with the Ladies on the Ladies side and the Men to the Men side. But they still got heckeled. Is it b/c the women were with the men while praying? That is not allowed correct....

Tefila

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 11:16 am
Quote:
Is it b/c the women were with the men while praying?

Probably Exclamation

chavamom

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 11:31 am
Try looking at this article to get a greater understanding of the politics and issues we are talking about.

MatzosMama

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 8:27 pm
A very intrestring artical. I agree that the Wall is becomming a bit of a toursit attraction. And it is a shame that one small group of people will have such an effect.....So when I visit the wall, what is the proper attire to have???? And where do I get it at?

sarahd

Post Mon, Jul 04 2005, 3:58 am
All you need is to wear a long skirt (covering the knees) and a shirt with sleeves, preferably covering the elbow. Since you are a married woman, you should also cover your hair with a scarf. If you don't have one handy, there is a box of scarves at the edge of the Kotel plaza.

Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 04 2005, 5:16 am
good post, sarahd!

matsomama, I hope you enjoy your visit to the Kotel! it's always very moving and spiritual for me.

MatzosMama

Post Mon, Jul 04 2005, 8:41 am
what about my girls???? They will be with me....

sarahd

Post Mon, Jul 04 2005, 8:43 am
How old are they?

MatzosMama

Post Tue, Jul 05 2005, 8:07 pm
The oldest is 3 and the youngest will be two at the time that we are going.....

daisy

Post Tue, Jul 05 2005, 8:26 pm
At that age it shouldn't make a difference what they wear.
Have a great time!

amother

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 8:36 am
are you still on this site ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics