Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
100K for a shidduch in Israel?????
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 3:41 pm
I am referring to the article I posted above. I will repost

"Don't blame the homes; Mizrahim who are born in Africa or Asia are more likely to have college degrees than Mizrahim born in Israel.

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-.....quot;

Here is the full text

The percentage of Mizrahim who were born in Israel and have an academic degree is significantly lower than the proportion of native-born, second-generation Ashkenazim who have a degree, according to a new Israeli study.
Based on Central Bureau of Statistics data, the study shows that 28.8 percent of second-generation Mizrahi immigrants (I.e., Jews of North African or Middle Eastern descent) have a university or college degree, compared to 49.6 percent of Ashkenazim (of European origin).
Analysis of the statistical models used in the new research – published by Nurit Dobrin of the CBS' chief scientist's department – also indicates that the chances of Mizrahim attaining a higher education are 2.6 to 3 times lower than people belonging to any other ethnic group – whether Ashkenazim, persons of mixed background or those whose ethnic origin is unknown because their parents were also native-born.
The figures in the study, entitled “Equal Opportunities in Education: Demographic and Socioeconomic Barriers,” show that even today the gaps in education between young Ashkenazim and Mizrahim, most of whom were born and studied in Israel, are far from disappearing. One of the reasons may be that the Education Ministry has never drawn up an orderly plan to address this situation.
The study, based on statistics compiled three years ago, focused on persons between the ages of 25 and 44. A further look at the data relating to Jewish ethnic origin reveals that the highest percentage of academic degree-holders is found among native Israelis whose father was born in Israel and whose mother is of Ashkenazi origin – 49.8 percent. This is closely followed by native-born Israelis whose immigrant parents were both of Ashkenazi origin – 49.6 percent.
In third place are young people of Ashkenazi extraction who were born abroad – 46.2 percent. Among natives, one of whose parents was an immigrant of Ashkenazi origin and the other of Mizrahi origin, 45 percent have academic degrees. Further down on the list are native-born Israelis both of whose parents were born in this country, but whose ethnic origin is unknown – 35.3 percent; this is followed by immigrants from the former Soviet Union, who moved to Israel beginning in 1990, with 34.2 percent holding academic degrees.
Dramatic and disturbing
Lowest down on the list are two groups: Mizrahim, born in Asia and Africa – 31.4 percent of whom have academic degrees – and native Israelis whose parents are of Mizrahi origin – 28.8 percent.
The latter is a dramatic and disturbing figure. These are young people who were born in Israel and therefore the education system is fully and absolutely “responsible” for them. Perhaps more than any other finding in the study, this constitutes the strongest evidence of the failure of local educational authorities to repair the gaps.
In recent years it seems that examination of such ethnic gaps, at least vis-a-vis the realm of education, has been receiving less attention from scholars than was the case 15 to 20 years ago. It is hard to isolate the reasons for this, but apparently they are related to problems related to research methods, which stem in large part from the CBS decision to keep track of citizens' ethnic origins for only one generation.
In that sense, the latest study brings the so-called ethnic genie – which has been endlessly buried and eulogized – back to the forefront, at least in terms of research. In many other senses, in fact, it had never disappeared.
While Dobrin authored the study under the guidance of senior CBS officials, this is still not considered an official publication of the organization, and therefore “the opinions and conclusions expressed in it do not necessarily reflect those of the CBS,” as a disclaimer says at the beginning of the article.
Perhaps the relative freedom enjoyed by Dobrin led her to comment that the known connections between ethnic origin and socioeconomic background “do not absolve [the authorities] from the need to eliminate the ethnic connection," especially when the chances of success in the work place are linked to "upgrading human capital.” It is usually hard to find such wording in official CBS publications.
The source of Dobrin’s data is the Social Survey conducted by the CBS in 2011, which focused on Israelis' lifelong educational experiences. The survey enabled an examination of geographical, demographic and socioeconomic information related to the 20-something and above population, including the connection between parents’ education and that of their offspring. These figures are the most up-to-date available.
Although Dobrin’s study focuses on ethnic Jewish differences, occasionally the subject of the gap between Jews and Arabs crops up: The chances of the former to acquire a higher education are twice those of the latter; indeed, as of 2011 only 13 percent of Arabs held academic degrees.
Incomplete data
This study is, however, incomplete, according to Dobrin. Among other things, she notes that to provide a more complete picture of the economic and social barriers to higher education there is need for additional data, such as concerning the socioeconomic situation of the household that enabled or prevented acquisition of a degree, views regarding higher education and more. However, even if additional variables are found that affect the connection between ethnic origin and the chances of obtaining a university or college degree – they “will not reduce the serious problem posed by the ethnic factor,” she writes.
It’s hard to compare these findings with previous studies. However, based on CBS census data, Prof. Yinon Cohen of Tel Aviv University and Columbia University found that, in 1995, about 36 percent of native Israelis of Ashkenazi origin (aged 25-34) had academic degrees, compared to 11 percent in the parallel Mizrahi group.
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-.....84990

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 3:49 pm
Of course they aren't Mizrahi schools. They are schools in the periphery where most students are Mizrahi. This whole discussion is about why people want to live in the center and not the periphery even though housing is so expensive and they need help from parents to do so.

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 4:04 pm
amother wrote:

This study is, however, incomplete, according to Dobrin. Among other things, she notes that to provide a more complete picture of the economic and social barriers to higher education there is need for additional data, such as concerning the socioeconomic situation of the household that enabled or prevented acquisition of a degree,

The study you quoted doesn't shed any new light. We all know that less mizrachim go to university than ashkenazim. I don't think anyone denied that.

The big question is WHY do less mizrachim go to university. And I posited that the schools are not to blame, since the schools are rather uniform throughout the country. I think that the socio-economic factor is the issue. As you can see from the excerpt I quoted, the researchers also considered this a possibility.

Finally, the study you quoted doesn't say anywhere that mizrachim were more educated in their countries of origin than they are now in Israel.

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 4:44 pm
amother wrote:
Of course they aren't Mizrahi schools. They are schools in the periphery where most students are Mizrahi. This whole discussion is about why people want to live in the center and not the periphery even though housing is so expensive and they need help from parents to do so.

People want to live in the center, rather than the periphery, for three main reasons:

1) That's where the jobs are, and not only jobs, but possibility to develop a real career. A lot of development towns don't have hi tech, don't have major commerce, don't have major law firms and advertising firms and so on, and you are pretty much stuck in a dead end job forever (if you manage to find a job at all).

2) They believe the schools are better. IME the teachers are the same, the curriculum is the same, but there are more funds for all the extras, and most importantly, the student population is on a higher level. So in so far as the students make the school, the schools are indeed better. But it has very little to do with ashkenazi/sepharadi, and everything to do with socio-economic level. You will notice that in all the rich areas of Israel, the schools do better (note: I said DO better, not ARE better). Why? Do you think that the kids in Ra'anana or Modi'in are inherently smarter than the kids in Tzfat or Tveria? No, obviously not; but socio-economic reality is reflected in success in school.

3) People want to live in the center because there is more 'action' there, more restaurants, cafes, malls, museums, clubs, festivals, whatever floats their boat.

I have never ever heard of someone saying they want to live in the merkaz because that's where the ashkenazim are. And actually, I am not sure that there are more ashkenazim in the merkaz at all.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 8:10 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:
The study you quoted doesn't shed any new light. We all know that less mizrachim go to university than ashkenazim. I don't think anyone denied that.

The big question is WHY do less mizrachim go to university. And I posited that the schools are not to blame, since the schools are rather uniform throughout the country. I think that the socio-economic factor is the issue. As you can see from the excerpt I quoted, the researchers also considered this a possibility.

Finally, the study you quoted doesn't say anywhere that mizrachim were more educated in their countries of origin than they are now in Israel.

"Lowest down on the list are two groups: Mizrahim, born in Asia and Africa – 31.4 percent of whom have academic degrees – and native Israelis whose parents are of Mizrahi origin – 28.8 percent.
The latter is a dramatic and disturbing figure. These are young people who were born in Israel and therefore the education system is fully and absolutely “responsible” for them. "

This means that Mizrahim born in Asia and Africa are 9% more likely to go to college than Mizrahim born in Israel

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 11:23 pm
amother wrote:
"Lowest down on the list are two groups: Mizrahim, born in Asia and Africa – 31.4 percent of whom have academic degrees – and native Israelis whose parents are of Mizrahi origin – 28.8 percent.
The latter is a dramatic and disturbing figure. These are young people who were born in Israel and therefore the education system is fully and absolutely “responsible” for them. "

This means that Mizrahim born in Asia and Africa are 9% more likely to go to college than Mizrahim born in Israel

Unless I missed some complexity in statistics, the difference between 31.4 and 28.8 is only 2.6!!! That is hardly a 'dramatic and disturbing figure'.

In any case, even if there were dramatic difference, I cannot agree with the writer of the article. It does not mean the 'education system is fully...responsible'. A lot of changes occur when one immigrates from one country to another.
The Russians also came with MANY more academic degrees than their kids born here in Israel manage to attain. Once again, I don't think the schools are to blame. First, maybe it's easier to get a degree in Russia or Morrocco, as I think Dr. Mom said? Second, both these groups' socio-economic status within the culture changed tremendously when they moved, and that affects their kids' success.

Also, I think the system could have been blamed up until ten years ago. Their truly was a systematic channeling of mizrachi kids to vocational studies; they thought it was for their 'own good'. But we are talking about kids today, their chances today.

Finally, the Russians actually opened up their own school somewhere in the merkaz (maybe Herzilya), which I hear works according to the old school Russian mentality, and the kids work hard academically. I have no idea how successful it is; that would be interesting to see. But the schools the mizrachim opened were mainly charedi ones - El hamayaan and the like - so it seems the mizrachim haven't put enough effort into changing the educational system that you claim keeps them away from university.

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 11:39 pm
I reread the study. It said that the lowest figures were for mizrachim, whether in their country of origin or in Israel.
Which means that they did not come from places where university was the norm.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics