Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Business cards: Print or order?

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 1:12 am
I don't need anything fancy, quality is a relatively minor consideration at this time because my main need is just to have something I can give people quickly with my contact info. So there are basically 2 choices:

1. Buy Avery or equivalent business card paper and print my own. Ink cost is not a significant concern because I'm currently in middle of a free HP instant-ink trial as discussed elsewhere in this forum Wink

2. Order from an online printing company like VistaPrint or InkGarden or whatever you people recommend here.

What is the best way to go? Discuss.

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 1:28 am
Being into graphics and design, I would buy my own Avery and print it myself. Especially bc then being able to do my own design it would be obvious it's not vistaprint or whatever. I feel that it can lack originality and you'll want ppl to remember your card.

(I'd even totally be willing to help you design a card should you go that way. I've done it before.)

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 1:36 am
Ooh, thanks! I hope you didn't say that without thinking because I would totally take you up on it Wink

I see the Avery cards are about $11 for 200 cards on Amazon. Any idea how that compares to the kind you order ready made? And how badly would the quality on my home inkjet (which is decent, but it's a home inkjet) compare?

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 1:38 am
Also, probably lost in this thread but opinions please:
I have two businesses that I want to use business cards to share. They are totally unrelated - one is special ed consulting and one is essential oils education. Considering making one business card that is double-sided so anyone I give it to automatically knows about both things I do. But does that make each one look more unprofessional?

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 1:48 am
Oh no. Don't worry, I did totally mean it. There are various Avery stock, and while I totally understand the desire to conserve space, I think two different cards with either rates/appt time in the back would be the best bet.

I don't know what the vista pricing is like, but it's probably possible to purchase Avery in bulk. The other advantage to Avery is if you want to make changes, you don't have a hundred wasted cards. Plus you print on reg paper till you are 100% sure you like and you can adjust the colors to match your printers.

As long as your ink rollers are smooth and not streaky shouldn't be any problem. And Avery makes different stock for the different types of printers

doctorima

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 10:20 am
I wouldn't put two completely unrelated business on the same business card. To me that looks unprofessional. Print them separately, and give each person whatever is relevant to them.

lizard8

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 10:52 am
The business cards that you print at home wont have a smooth edge, if you care about that.
IMO the best cards are designed well without using the stock images, and printed professionally.

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 11:15 am
lizard8 wrote:
The business cards that you print at home wont have a smooth edge, if you care about that.

Actually, Avery makes really professional quality business cards with very smooth edges. It's not than perforated, you fold it and it literally pops out

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 11:51 am
I didn't know Avery made non-perf cards. Great idea if you only need a few.

But you can get cards printed very cheaply from the big printers and you don't need to use a stock card — you can upload your own designs.

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 12:36 pm
Can you suggest which big printers are very cheap and let you upload designs? What should I expect to pay there? And is that with or without the printer's logo on the back?

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 1:03 pm
Vistaprint seems to cornered the very cheap bizcard market. Not sure whether they still stick their logo on the the back of their least expensive cards. They will let you upload your own design, but make sure you know how to prepare it properly.

I use Printing For Less. Excellent attention to detail and customer service, but significantly more expensive. I always upload my own designs, but they do have templates. https://www.printingforless1.c......aspx

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 2:01 am
OK so it sounds kind of eeny meeny miny mo with one vote on each side. Let's say I buy some of the avery kind - will print at least samples of my design before deciding to order professionally, and I can think of a dozen other uses for them if I don't end up using them for my business cards - anyone with experience recommend matte vs glossy? Price difference is very small.

singleagain

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 2:25 am
Glossy has a more professional look, but it's harder to write on so if you are wanting an appointment on back or st like that if go for matte

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 2:43 am
Would glossy be glossy on both sides? Need to check if the product description discusses that...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics