Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Which state has the cheapest yeshiva tuition?
1  2  Next

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 5:38 pm
I'm just trying to gather some information and think about where we'd move in the future while considering other things. But the main issue is the education. I know how much tuition costs in NYC and I'm trying to "escape" that and I'm wondering if there are other states/cities that provide "cheaper" tuition or good scholorships/ vouchers from kindergarten through high school. Anyone? I'm looking at yeshivas for modern orthodox/ young israel type.

SingALong

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 5:54 pm
I think you can get tuition vouchers in Milwaukee.

Chassidish schools in BP/Monsey/Williamsburg, etc are ranging from $300-500 monthly based on what friends have told me.

Lakewood nj also around $400 monthly. But Other nj towns like Edison, Teaneck, Passaic, west orange can be $15,000-$20,000.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 6:12 pm
SingALong wrote:
I think you can get tuition vouchers in Milwaukee.

And in some cities in Ohio -- Cincinnati and parts of Cleveland.

mirror

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 6:20 pm
Also South Bend, Indiana. The tuition is free I think.

courage2218

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 6:35 pm
Memphis: High school, which has highest tuition is $19,170 for this year. Preschool-12th grade is basically on the same campus. Preschool being less than 8k this year. The k-8 students have uniforms and the high schools are separate.
http://www.mhafyos.org/

Milwaukee: Yeshiva Elementary School, which is a school that gets vouchers is not a MO school. Hillel Academy is what your are probably looking for. http://www.theacademywi.org/te......html
Looks like Hillel academy also gets vouchers. The vouchers are mostly for people who live under the poverty line. If you do not qualify for the vouchers, these schools are likely to charge the entire cost of tuition for you (or at least YES would).

Chicago: http://www.hilleltorah.org/

http://ariecrown.org/registrat.....5.pdf Arie Crown is Coed but separate.

Overall, the chareidishe schools are more likely to charge less because they are mostly Judaic Studies.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 6:36 am
Ok, I just have a quick question...

In general, is the tuition higher or lower outside of NY/NJ?

saw50st8

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 8:00 am
We send our kids to an awesome school called Yeshivat He'Atid in Teaneck. It's $9k/child. But COL isn't cheap in NJ. You really need to look at the total package - salaries, housing costs, tuition, cost of living, different needs (2 cars depending on where you are) etc.

MO schools aren't cheap no matter where you are.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 8:07 am
amother wrote:
Ok, I just have a quick question...

In general, is the tuition higher or lower outside of NY/NJ?

In general it's higher. Places with an established large Jewish community and several schools tend to be about the same range, for example Baltimore and Denver have tuitions approximately equal to the mid or higher range of NY/NJ though I haven't confirmed this recently.

Conservative states with tuition vouchers can provide free or cheap tuition. That's the case in south bend Indiana or Richmond Virginia I believe. That's never going to happen in liberal New York.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 8:51 am
It's a myth that OOT is cheaper than NY/NJ. Housing mostly is, but tuition is generally the same or higher with fewer scholarship options because they have a smaller pool of students. There are some places (usually Midwest or South) where there may be vouchers, but vouchers are mostly income based, so you very well may not be eligible. And remember also, outside of NY, two cars are often a necessity. There are many reasons to leave NY, but don't think you're going to be freeing up oodles of cash, it's not going to be as much as you think.

chocolatecake

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 9:49 am
I agree with your that the total cost of living is not much cheaper oot than NY but you are getting much more bang for your buck oot. A 3 bedroom apartment in brooklyn is going for at least 2300 these days. I way rather use the same 2300 a month for a mortgage on a fully detached 4 bedroom house with a yard and two car payments. Another point to consider is that the standards are a little lower and there is less of a rat race so can save money by living a simpler lifestyle and not being pressured to buy your kids the name brand clothing.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 9:53 am
It's definitely nice to get more house for your money, but I never got the point about the pressure. I'm in NY in a very fashion conscious area, and don't do brand names (not for me, not for the kids) or any of that because I don't want to. And guess what, we all have friends, nobody has as yet noticed (or maybe they have, but don't say anything) that we don't buy into that narishkeit.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 9:56 am
This is why we are still in nyc despite wanting to relocate. Outside nyc I am looking at a steep reduction in salary (30% or more) without a corresponding reduction in col. When the bulk of your income goes to tuition you may be better off staying in nyc if you already have a well paying job. Of course of you have no job you go wherever you can find one.

chocolatecake

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 10:12 am
Great for you that you are not pressured to "live up to the Cohens." The general standards of life are higher in NY especially when making simchos. I am from one of the bigger midwest communities and I currently live in NY. For a bar mitzva in NY everyone makes a seuda during the week in addition to the Shabbos kiddush. 90 percent of the boys in my brothers classes just had a Shabbos and no weekday affair. Shabbos Sheva Brachos is NY is another few thousand dollars of wedding expenses on the kallahs family. Oot the parents friends generally make the shabbos sheva brachos. In NY it is standard that the chosson gives the kallah a set of 5 leather machzorim as a gift. Oot some people do and some people dont. My sisters who married oot boys did not get. Also in NY it is pretty standard that the kallah buys the boy a silver bechor. oot again, some do some don't.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 10:13 am
Well, what about being a teacher? I'm not sure if it's actually worth it to move out of NY if teachers salary is much less than in NY. Of course I'd love us to have a house with a yard and in a quiet neighborhood, but the question is...will we be able to pay everything with less salary as being a salary and maybe more school tuition?

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 10:15 am
as mentioned before- cheapest is with vouchers- look in to South Bend, Milwaukee, Cincinnati and possibly parts of Cleveland.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
Well, what about being a teacher? I'm not sure if it's actually worth it to move out of NY if teachers salary is much less than in NY. Of course I'd love us to have a house with a yard and in a quiet neighborhood, but the question is...will we be able to pay everything with less salary as being a salary and maybe more school tuition?

There is no question that professionals make more in NY than oot. Chinuch jobs a little more in NY that oot but no where near the same difference than professionals. You are better off oot than NY if you are in chinuch.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 10:40 am
Well, here's a tip:
Do NOT even consider moving to LA.

High school here is hovering around $30,00 for MO high school.

That included a brand new macbook air but seriously the COL is out of control.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 10:47 am
amother wrote:
It's a myth that OOT is cheaper than NY/NJ. Housing mostly is, but tuition is generally the same or higher with fewer scholarship options because they have a smaller pool of students. There are some places (usually Midwest or South) where there may be vouchers, but vouchers are mostly income based, so you very well may not be eligible. And remember also, outside of NY, two cars are often a necessity. There are many reasons to leave NY, but don't think you're going to be freeing up oodles of cash, it's not going to be as much as you think.

In Ohio, the EdChoice expansion program is not income based. All families who live in a failing public school district can receive these vouchers.

As an example, almost all families in Cincinnati that send to the local day school live in such a district. Full tuition for 1-8 is 9K. The voucher pays for 4650 of that. And for really low income families, there is additional assistance possible. There are some other school fees but nowhere near what the voucher saves you in tuition.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 11:06 am
I just want to second what HY said about the vouchers. I am paying waaay less OOT because of the vouchers then I would be if we kept my dd in her previous school in NJ. I don't qualify for anything that is income based, no scholarships....I guess b"H?

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 11:36 am
amother wrote:
It's definitely nice to get more house for your money, but I never got the point about the pressure. I'm in NY in a very fashion conscious area, and don't do brand names (not for me, not for the kids) or any of that because I don't want to. And guess what, we all have friends, nobody has as yet noticed (or maybe they have, but don't say anything) that we don't buy into that narishkeit.

I dunno, I'm in NY, in a mixed area (I.e. did not think I would have issues of living up to what "everyone" does/has) and my personality is such that I always prided myself on living practically not being caught up in "narishkeit." But my DD has a different personality than me despite being raised with my perspectives and at 5 years old I am already hearing that she "needs" certain types of headbands and such. There are probably trends and fads everywhere, and she would probably be into it wherever we go, but the trend-setters in NY seem to have more expensive taste. I am buying into her needs - within what is reasonable for me, and while continuing to educate her about things like moderation and differentiating needs vs wants - because I can tell that this is a legitimate need based on the combination of her personality and where she is/who she's hanging around. Right now she has no clue about brand names as long as the styles are similar (e.g. no difference between this big bow and that big bow, or this velour hoodie vs that velour hoodie) but I can see where this might end up going.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics