Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What questions to ask on yeshiva tour

calgal22002

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 5:44 pm
We live WAY out of town and will be sending DS to yeshiva high school next year. DH is going with DS to check out a few options in a few weeks and I would like to come up with a list of questions to ask when they go. Since I won't be there, I would really like to come up with a thorough list of questions both about the education (this is more my DH's area) and about the boys' well-being (aka the mom questions). Can you help me come up with some of the questions you would ask under the circumstances?

A few examples of the well-being questions:

- what are the policies for cell phones, personal computers, etc.
- what are the dorms like (how many boys to a room, common areas, etc.)
- what is provided for recreation (what kind of sports options are there, how much time is spent on phys. ed)
- what happens when a boy is sick - what are the provisions for getting medical care, vision care, dental care, etc.

Any help is appreciated!

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Dec 30 2015, 5:57 pm
Re. the dorm question, have them ask for a dorm tour. They'll be shown a sample room or two and the surroundings. Also, how do they supervise the dorm. You'll also want to know about food- what's provided and access to fridges and microwaves are school questions, whether the food is decent and how often the boys get takeout are questions for the boys. Also, how much down time there is and how the boys usually spend it.

Education- Dh asks where the bachurim are supposed to be holding in learning at the end of each year, or at least when they finish high school, and where most are holding when they start. Find out what 12th grade looks like- it often looks a lot like beis medrash. Also, how much homework the boys get and how much time they have to do it, and what resources (library, access to computers). Talking to parents will get you a good idea of the balance between limudei kodesh and limudei chol. It's also.useful to know what the mashgiach's role is.

Anon, in case you want to ask about my kid's school or his friends'.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics