Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Baking bagels in a fleish oven

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Jul 18 2007, 3:27 am
I want to make bagels but my oven is fleishig and the recipe says to bake uncovered but I don't want them to be "bechezkas basari", so what should I do?

Seraph

Post Wed, Jul 18 2007, 3:44 am
When was the last time you used your fleishig oven?
If it was more than 24 hours ago, turn ur oven to the highest setting and let it go for like half an hour...
Or if you want your bagels bichezkas chalavi, bring it over to my house...

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Jul 18 2007, 5:43 am
is that how you kasher the oven? don't use it 24 hrs and then turn it on the highest? cuz its not self cleaning. and if your oven is chalavi, does that mean that you always cover the fleishigs stuff?
if I can't make my oven pareve, I might take you up on your offer, breslov.

Post Wed, Jul 18 2007, 10:33 am
are the bagels pareve? according to my Rav (I can pm you who that is) when you want to bake something pareve (cookies, challah, etc), even if your oven is bchezkas basari/chalavi, all you need to do is preheat the oven as you normally would and the pareve remains completely pareve.

I know not all hold by this, but my Rav is a leading POSEK in a major US city.

Also if the food is dry, you have even less worries. Like if your oven is b'chezkas chalavi, you can still put an uncovered pan of dry fleishigs (like chicken w/o sauce/gravy) in there.

Seraph

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 2:27 am
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
is that how you kasher the oven? don't use it 24 hrs and then turn it on the highest? cuz its not self cleaning. and if your oven is chalavi, does that mean that you always cover the fleishigs stuff?
if I can't make my oven pareve, I might take you up on your offer, breslov.

I have two ovens- a milchig and a fleishig.
But I heard something about bishas hadchak u can do what I mentioned...
And I know many people with just one oven that wait 24 hours between milk and meat, because by then, the taam is pagum.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads