Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Negotiate for used car?

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 7:41 pm
we are looking to buy a used minivan. We went to a dealer recommended by friends, as a frum and honest person.

I am ready to buy but I am very uncomfortable wiht the "negotiation" part. It just seems like a charade and game I'm not interested in playing. Do I just pay what the dealer is asking? Or do I put up a show of asking a lower price and going back and forth a few times just to agree on a price that is maybe $150 lower than asking (big whoop)?

I have been looking at cars for a while from random dealers and I feel much more comfortable buying from someone I can trust rather than bargaining all over to maybe get a slightly better deal. I guess saving a few extra bucks just doesn't matter that much to me at this stage.

asp40

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 8:04 pm
Yes, you can negotiate. You do not have to, but it is part of the price. Do some research first and see the value of similar cars. Then decide if and how you plan to negotiate.

twogees

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 8:08 pm
Take the car and go to a mechanic you trust. ask him what he thinks the car is worth. look on kbb.com as well for the make, model and year the van is (ex 2006 toyota seinna with x amount of miles is worth x amount) to see what the car is worth.

doctorima

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 10:07 pm
If you know somebody who bought from that dealer (and is presumably who recommended him), I would ask them how the price negotiation worked, and whether the listed prices are competitive.

If you're not interested in "handling" over the price, you could respond that instead of trying to haggle over price, you'll pay what he's asking, but would like him to extend the warranty by x months and miles, and get it in writing. If he refuses, you could then go the other way and ask for a discount on the price.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 11:13 pm
Look online and get the price with Kellys bluebook. Look for the car facts sheet to see if the car was ever hit.

justforfun87

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 11:27 pm
We just bought a van. Internet is your friend. There are websites that will show you every car listed with the same specs for hundreds of miles and how much they are. I checked all those prices. I looked at Kelley blue book. I ran the carfax..VERY IMPORTANT. I test drove the car. I even negotiated a bit with the frum dealer. Pm me if you have any questions.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 11:38 pm
We bought a used minivan from a supposedly frum dealer in Lakewood with disastrous results. Right after his warranty ran out the oil light went on and my mechanic said it had been sold to us by someone who used a thick substance in the oil tank to keep it going for a few months until it died. The dealer shrugged and pretty much said too bad. A few years later I heard he closed up shop due to unscrupulous practices but I've seen him at his son's sales and lease shop.

Just because he's frum and was recommended by one friend doesn't mean you can trust him. You're better off going to a brand dealership (Honda, Toyota, etc.) and buying used from them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics