Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you spend on mishloach manos?

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 11:16 am
I feel like I probably need to prepare 40 between my kids and ourselves. The kids can be small, its fine. How much should each one cost? I don't want to spend more than necessary. But I do want it to look presentable.

boysrus

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 12:50 pm
I just bought my kids MM's. I keep it simple, I use those Purim bags that you can buy, pk of 20 for $3 or thereabouts = 15 cents each. Pk of chips each = 20cents, wafer = 20 cents, 3 wrapped lollipops/candies = approx 30 cents. The bags are small, so they dont look too empty Smile Total cost for each child = approx 85 cents each.
(This only works for my younger kids, I find that those who are age approx 13 and up want to add somethign more exciting for their friends. I let them pay for that themselves, after all, thy do get an allowance each week. Also, then they are very careful about what they spend, becasue they are spending their own money! My 15 year old spent an extra $4.70 on his 8 friends that he is giving to. )

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 12:53 pm
I think about a dollar or two per kid is fine. For an adult mm I spend about $4-$5...its hard to spend less unless you make food yourself. One year I did challa and mini grape juice.

sky

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 1:00 pm
All items were bought on sale. I used cellophane bags for all wrapping.

Kids: under $1 each = 1 mondo (.15) or soda can (.20) + 1 laffy taffy rope (.10) + 1 bag chips (.30) + 2 gumballs (wrapped) (.10) + bag (.15)

Adults - standard: under $3 each: 2 Greek yogurts (.89 each) + 2 - 1 oz pkg granola (.33 each) + bag (.15) + 2 spoons (cholov yisrael and yoshon).

Adults - teachers\bosses\rabbi: $10: bottle of wine (decent $15 bottle on sale for $7) + 1 large bag "nicer" chips ($1) + 1 "good quality" chocolate bar ($2) + bag (.20).

mommy43

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 1:04 pm
Is it nice enough to give teachers a bottle of sparkling grape juice with a chocolate bar wrapped nicely with a note?

sky

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 1:08 pm
mommy43 wrote:
Is it nice enough to give teachers a bottle of sparkling grape juice with a chocolate bar wrapped nicely with a note?

definitely. I'm actually not giving all teachers the bottle of wine. Some I'm giving a bottle of sparkling grape juice (much cheaper at 2.33 a bottle). it depends how long they are with the child and how much I bother them or involved they are.

I think the note is the most important. my DH was telling me we should sit down and write them this week so they aren't rushed next week.

(For some of my prices I had to buy a full case of the wine and grape juice, but I only took out the bottles I need and am putting the rest away for Pesach)

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 1:48 pm
Haven't done for the teachers yet, but with only one kid in school I only have to do 2, so they can be nice.

Kids' MM - haven't gotten the stuff yet, just a couple of noshes here and there when I find them on sale.

Family MM (50 of them!! We know a lot of people): clear plastic cylinder with lid ($0.47 apiece including shipping), mini schnapps ($1), matching candy cane ($0.60), 4-5 saltwater taffies (no idea how much they cost, not a lot). Ribbon was $5 for all and will probably have left over. So approximately $2.50 each and they look really pretty!

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 2:15 pm
As little as I can.
I usually bake/make as much of it as I can. I don't spend over $1 for the container/box and wrapping.
I bake most of the stuff to go inside so I would say $1.50 approx each.

gold21

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 2:38 pm
I try not to be too cheap.
I think theres a balance.
Not fancy, not cheap.
A few yummy things and thats it. Small and nice.
I do find it interesting when people clearly count every penny they spend on MM and live a more expensive lifestyle than I do, while I want to give a nice MM and my lifestyle is like the opposite of expensive. Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics