Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How much more money do you spend on Pesach?
1  2  Next

How much more money do you spend on Pesach?
$100 - $500  
 28%  [ 23 ]
$500 - $1000  
 18%  [ 15 ]
$1000 - $1500  
 12%  [ 10 ]
$1500 - $2000  
 20%  [ 16 ]
$2000 - $3000  
 8%  [ 7 ]
$3000 - $4000  
 1%  [ 1 ]
$4000 - $5000  
 3%  [ 3 ]
$5000 and more..  
 6%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 80

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 11:09 am
Our biggest expenses are Matzos, wine, Chicken and Meat. How much more money do you spend then the weekly shopping?
What are you large expenses for Pesach?

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 11:12 am
We are a family of 4, 3 who eat a regular sized portion. We dont have guests. I would say on food products I spend around $200 more then a regular week of groceries. Paper goods are a different part of my budget.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 11:22 am
family of 4. we probably spend an extra $400 on food, $200 on cleaning, $200 on paper goods and random appliances/utensils, $100 on beauty and clothing, and $100 extra stuff

pesek zman

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 11:40 am
We go away so I chose 5K+

Worth every penny

Liebs

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 12:03 pm
Do you mean with clothing and shoes too??? A heck of a lot!!!

musicmom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 12:06 pm
We spend a lot of money on food as we are non gebrochts. We don't really get new clothes though.

doctorima

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 12:09 pm
Does this also include extra cleaning help, or just food and grocery items?

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 12:12 pm
It includes anything extra for Pesach services or purchases.

lfab

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 12:24 pm
Don't think I would include clothes or shoes as those are items you would need to buy for the new season anyway. Unless you really are only buying them for pesach and if not for pesach you would not have made the purchase even at a later date (ex. one of my kids needed new shabbos shoes so I bought them now so she could have them new for pesach. If I hadn't bought now I would have had to buy within the next month-6 weeks anyway so I wouldn't count it as a pesach expense.).

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 12:27 pm
The only extras are food, wine, paper products and a trip to home goods for kitchen odds and ends. Cleaning help and clothes don't change because its pesach.

Liebs

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 12:37 pm
I don't have exact calculation yet....but about $200 per boy and $300 for girls for very basic- SHabbos shoes, 1 outfit and robe for girls (and shells usually) and 2 simple shirts and pants and belt for boys

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 12:44 pm
Liebs wrote:
I don't have exact calculation yet....but about $200 per boy and $300 for girls for very basic- SHabbos shoes, 1 outfit and robe for girls (and shells usually) and 2 simple shirts and pants and belt for boys

That's just for Pesach?

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 12:55 pm
amother wrote:
Our biggest expenses are Matzos, wine, Chicken and Meat. How much more money do you spend then the weekly shopping?
What are you large expenses for Pesach?

Probably about $1000 above our usual budget for 2 weeks of groceries.
Plus $150 for Matzah and $200 for random kitchen and pharmacy items. And $200 for chol hamoed expenses.

So I'd say about $1750 extra.

This thread has inspired me to keep track the year.

I have not included the amount of money we spend on groceries each week, as that's already been budgeted for 52 weeks a year. (Meaning we spend more than $1000 on Pesach food at the supermarket over the course of the two weeks. But we spend about $1000 extra than what we usually spend.)

I have not included the clothing we buy at this time of year as they are not related to Pesach. But yes that adds another $1000 of expenses that I am not discussing here.

juggling

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 2:28 pm
What about the fact that you have to entirely re-stock your kitchen? There are no pantry staples left from the week before . I would think that adds quite a lot to the grocery bill.

boysrus

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 2:29 pm
Liebs wrote:

I am confused by your post. I dont have girls so I have no idea of costs of girls clothing etc, but I have boys aged 16 and down, and cant figure out how you can spend $200 on each boy. How can 2 shirts, pants, belt and shoes cost so much?
I only spend that much on each boy if they need suit, shirt,tie, belt adn shoes all at once.... but they never really do need all those at once anyway bH

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 3:00 pm
juggling wrote:
What about the fact that you have to entirely re-stock your kitchen? There are no pantry staples left from the week before . I would think that adds quite a lot to the grocery bill.

I try to stretch my pantry staples to they are almost done by pesach. So the new salt, sugar, cocoa, olive oil, lemon juice, etc. will just replace what I use up. We buy just the minimum. Spices we save from pesach to pesach. It's just one week of food so we don't buy so much new for pesach. An then whatever else we need to replace after would be stuff we were almost out of anyway. And I don't replace it all at once.

yamz

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 3:07 pm
Quote:
Liebs wrote:

I am confused by your post. I dont have girls so I have no idea of costs of girls clothing etc, but I have boys aged 16 and down, and cant figure out how you can spend $200 on each boy. How can 2 shirts, pants, belt and shoes cost so much?
I only spend that much on each boy if they need suit, shirt,tie, belt adn shoes all at once.... but they never really do need all those at once anyway bH

That's easy. A pair of Shabbos shoes can easily cost close to $100 depending on the boy's age/size. Let's be conservative and say $80. A regular shirt is approximately $25. Two shirts would be $50. Pants. Also $25. Two pairs, so $50. I haven't bought a belt in a while, but $20 seems about right.
So:

80 - shoes
50 - shirts
50 - pants
20 - belt
----------
$200

Shirts may cost her a few dollars more or pants a few dollars less, etc., but this seems about right to me. This is for decent, but nothing special. Obviously higher end clothing costs way more. Think $50-60 for one shirt.

juggling

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 3:21 pm
The Happy Wife wrote:
I try to stretch my pantry staples to they are almost done by pesach. So the new salt, sugar, cocoa, olive oil, lemon juice, etc. will just replace what I use up. We buy just the minimum. Spices we save from pesach to pesach. It's just one week of food so we don't buy so much new for pesach. An then whatever else we need to replace after would be stuff we were almost out of anyway. And I don't replace it all at once.

I do the same. I still find it's a lot to buy all at once. And of course I continue to use the new stuff after Pesach. Still, during the year I normally spread out purchases of canned goods, sugar, cocoa, oil, etc. So my grocery bills average out to a certain amount. But with Pesach it's all those items on the same week. So my bills will be higher. I do get what you're saying about it not being "extra," though.

Where I live grocery items aren't much more for Pesach than during the year, except for specialty items. We do need lots of matza and wine, and we consume much more fleishiks (and much more cheese!) than during a normal week.

This is really the first Pesach I am trying to spend carefully. Usually I just buy what I think we'll need, and hope for the best. I am curious to see how much it works out to, in actuality.

real

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 4:41 pm
$1000 on just food

curlyhead

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 7:58 pm
I probobly spend as much on meat as fruit and vegies
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics