Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Spinoff what's in style threads
1  2  Next

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 6:37 pm
I never get these threads. Every season people enjoy changing their look based on the decisions of the Fasion designers and society? Don't you have a certain idea of the colors and style lines that you like and look great in? I understand not wanting to look like you came from a different era. But if you shop in the stores around you chances are you wont have this problem. Why is everybody so busy making sure their clothing fit everybody else's taste?

Zehava

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 6:43 pm
I'm with you on this one

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 6:44 pm
amother wrote:
I never get these threads. Every season people enjoy changing their look based on the decisions of the Fasion designers and society? Don't you have a certain idea of the colors and style lines that you like and look great in? I understand not wanting to look like you came from a different era. But if you shop in the stores around you chances are you wont have this problem. Why is everybody so busy making sure their clothing fit everybody else's taste?

I haven't started such threads but enjoy following them as often links are provided to items that catch my eye.

To answer your question, what of the only stores around you are Walmart and the like?

Maya

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 6:54 pm
I agree. Besides, any store you're gonna go into is likely going to be carrying whatever has just come out for the new season. Just go by that and pick something that you like and looks good on you. End of story.

DrMom

Post Sat, Apr 09 2016, 12:57 pm
Maya wrote:
I agree. Besides, any store you're gonna go into is likely going to be carrying whatever has just come out for the new season. Just go by that and pick something that you like and looks good on you. End of story.

This. If you are so interested in what's "in style," close the computer, get off your tush, and go to the store and see what designs stores are peddling this year.

amother
Red

Post Sat, Apr 09 2016, 11:08 pm
Posted: Today at 11:57 am
DrMom wrote:
This. If you are so interested in what's "in style," close the computer, get off your tush, and go to the store and see what designs stores are peddling this year.

wow ... you speak so nicely.

ally

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 12:26 am
It's also very community dependent - fashion in crown heights is not fashion in Flatbush is not fashion in boro park...this is "in town" - let alone out of town

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 1:00 am
ITA. plus, I hate that now that FINALLY stores like macys have dresses long enough that I can comfortable cover my knees, people are saying that shells are 'out'.

People. Have pity on those of us who can't afford inflated prices in frum stores and bring the shells back 'in'. Please.

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 1:08 am
amother wrote:
Posted: Today at 11:57 am
wow ... you speak so nicely.

Thank you! And I use my screenname. Smile

Last edited by DrMom on Sun, Apr 10 2016, 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total

imaima

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 1:09 am
Even if you dont get off your tush, the editors of online stores put together many trendy looks!

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 1:13 am
ally wrote:
It's also very community dependent - fashion in crown heights is not fashion in Flatbush is not fashion in boro park...this is "in town" - let alone out of town

Wow. I am so fashion challenged. I didn't even know that there's a difference between Crown Hts and Flatbush fashion....and I'm from Flatbush! LOL
Btw, what IS the difference between Flatbush and Crown Hts fashion?

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 3:07 am
Are shells really on their way out? Sad

I don't really like the look- never have, but I can't imagine only buying clothes in jewish stores, which is what would have to happen if shells really went hopelessly out of fashion.

ally

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 4:00 am
amother wrote:
Wow. I am so fashion challenged. I didn't even know that there's a difference between Crown Hts and Flatbush fashion....and I'm from Flatbush! LOL
Btw, what IS the difference between Flatbush and Crown Hts fashion?

I don't live in either of those places so I may be off...but from what I see (overall), Flatbush is slightly more conservative and classical while Crown Heights-ers can be more edgy and can pull off things like grunge.

Of course on an individual level there are less rules. But the people asking "whats in fashion" are not looking for that.

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 4:14 am
1ofbillions wrote:

I don't really like the look- never have, but I can't imagine only buying clothes in jewish stores, which is what would have to happen if shells really went hopelessly out of fashion.

Maybe they're the ones spreading the "shells are out" rumors... Tongue Out

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 7:08 am
DrMom wrote:

I'm not the OP but actually enjoy these threads as I'm suffering from a chronic illness and cannot just get of my tush and go to the store... I'm mostly home-bound and the internet is the only 'store' I can visit.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 7:36 am
1ofbillions wrote:

Shells are neither in or out. They never were in or out. Someone thought of a great way to expand fashion choices for frum women and the idea caught on. Since then, (at least 15 years ago) people use shells for whatever outfits they need them for. Judging by the amount of shell stores that have business booming, you have nothing to worry about.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 10:01 am
I think its not what's in or out but what kind of clothing that I buy online or elsewhere is acceptable to wear in town where I'm more likely to be juged. Not necessarily do department stores (winter clothes you usualy see ivory and red) reflect the jewish store styles and if anyone has seen any cheap pretty clothes thats in style post a link to let me know

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 10:08 am
I agree with OP.
OTOH, if someone knows she needs a new outfit and has access to reasonably priced shopping, heimish or otherwise, why not find out what's in and if she likes it, go for it? Even the fashion articles and books that recommend getting classic, timeless pieces, or developing your own style will suggest updating with accessories, or one trend a season you might enjoy rocking, etc.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 10:09 am
amother wrote:
I think its not what's in or out but what kind of clothing that I buy online or elsewhere is acceptable to wear in town where I'm more likely to be juged. Not necessarily do department stores (winter clothes you usualy see ivory and red) reflect the jewish store styles and if anyone has seen any cheap pretty clothes thats in style post a link to let me know

I have a similar problem. With zero fashion sense of my own I can't rely on what's available online, even the "curated" stuff.

Regarding local stores, I was taught going in to a store with no intention to buy is wrong, and no way am I spending these prices. I have never posted such threads but I may soon if I don't fit back into my last year's summer wardrobe. Cool

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 10:15 am
youngishbear wrote:
I have a similar problem. With zero fashion sense of my own I can't rely on what's available online, even the "curated" stuff.

Regarding local stores, I was taught going in to a store with no intention to buy is wrong, and no way am I spending these prices.. Cool

What about if you intend to come back during a sale, or during end of season clearance so you want to have an idea of what was in stock?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics