Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Spinoff what's in style threads
Previous  1  2

youngishbear

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 7:25 am
PinkFridge wrote:
What about if you intend to come back during a sale, or during end of season clearance so you want to have an idea of what was in stock?

Isn't it easier to post here than to
A - ask a shayla
B- get off my behind
C - get dressed up in clothes that don't fit
C - to check out a store crowded with actual shoppers
D - and still stay clueless about what's in for which age group - and don't get me started on what's weekday vs shabbos. Am I the only one who often can't tell?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 7:34 am
We're all so lucky to have these First World Problems. Count your blessings.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 7:39 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Absolutely. And I consider the source: you've paid your dues in so many ways so I take you seriously. But I can still have empathy for Youngishbear Very Happy

youngishbear

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 7:56 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Boruch Hashem!

I count imamother and online shopping as blessings. Wink

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 8:11 am
Fashion is an art. Some people really enjoy putting together outfits that are cool and current.

Some other people 'know it when they see it.' They want to wear outfits like that, but they don't have the time nor talent to look at all the runways and translate them into daywear, even if they love the idea. They ask others for advice and end up wearing chic outfits and liking it.

What is the problem?

P.S. For those who care, I completely disagree with the advice to get off your behind to see what's in style. There's no better place to get ideas from than online and in magazines. And so much easier than walking around shopping centers until your feet fall off.

Sadie

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 8:50 am
amother wrote:
Fashion is an art. Some people really enjoy putting together outfits that are cool and current.

Some other people 'know it when they see it.' They want to wear outfits like that, but they don't have the time nor talent to look at all the runways and translate them into daywear, even if they love the idea. They ask others for advice and end up wearing chic outfits and liking it.

What is the problem?

P.S. For those who care, I completely disagree with the advice to get off your behind to see what's in style. There's no better place to get ideas from than online and in magazines. And so much easier than walking around shopping centers until your feet fall off.

I definitely get asking for fashion advice, I just don't get asking "what's trendy now?" Because not everything that's trendy now will look good on everyone. Also trends really vary on location and age group and religious group. So I think it makes more sense to describe your body type, complexion, and community and then ask what things currently in stores people would recommend.

MadameX

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 9:12 am
In my experience, the BEST way to find out what's "in" is Instagram! There are dozens of tznius fashion bloggers ranging from different age groups and aesthetics. Not to mention that most, if not all, of the best stores have Instagram accounts as well. If you have a smartphone, this is by far the easiest and most convenient way to see all the varieties of what is trendy.

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 10:07 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Shells are neither in or out. They never were in or out. Someone thought of a great way to expand fashion choices for frum women and the idea caught on. Since then, (at least 15 years ago) people use shells for whatever outfits they need them for. Judging by the amount of shell stores that have business booming, you have nothing to worry about.

I thought that was the case by pencil skirts (wearing them under short dresses), but that's totally out of style these days... It could happen by shells as well.

juggling

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 10:36 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Shells are neither in or out. They never were in or out. Someone thought of a great way to expand fashion choices for frum women and the idea caught on. Since then, (at least 15 years ago) people use shells for whatever outfits they need them for. Judging by the amount of shell stores that have business booming, you have nothing to worry about.

Actually that is not the way I remember things. Shells under low tops, yes. Even in the non-Jewish world people would always wear shells under suit jackets or too-low tops, to make them more modest. But from what I recall, shells as sleeves came in style probably about 8 years ago, when the non-Jewish fashion world featured the "layered look" for a season or two. In the frum world the "look" served such a great practical purpose, that it stuck. I have to say, I have been seeing more and more dresses with sleeves in frum stores lately. I don't know if shells are "out", but they seem to be much less trendy this season.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 10:42 am
1ofbillions wrote:
I thought that was the case by pencil skirts (wearing them under short dresses), but that's totally out of style these days... It could happen by shells as well.

That was totally different. It looked horrible, and nobody with true fashion sense wore it. Nobody in the secular world wore that either. Everybody wears shells. No need to take my word for it. It's just the truth.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 10:46 am
juggling wrote:
Actually that is not the way I remember things. Shells under low tops, yes. Even in the non-Jewish world people would always wear shells under suit jackets or too-low tops, to make them more modest. But from what I recall, shells as sleeves came in style probably about 8 years ago, when the non-Jewish fashion world featured the "layered look" for a season or two. In the frum world the "look" served such a great practical purpose, that it stuck. I have to say, I have been seeing more and more dresses with sleeves in frum stores lately. I don't know if shells are "out", but they seem to be much less trendy this season.

I also like to buy things that already have sleeves. But shells were never trendy, just useful.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 10:52 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
That was totally different. It looked horrible, and nobody with true fashion sense wore it. Nobody in the secular world wore that either. Everybody wears shells. No need to take my word for it. It's just the truth.

What was nice was that by and large they were tzniusdik. I saw far fewer girls and women have trouble sitting down in them than in stam pencil skirts.
And unless we're talking serious business look, considering what many people wear now - so many different styles from eclectic to funky to trashy - no need to feel it was fashion senseless IMO.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 12:51 pm
MadameX wrote:
In my experience, the BEST way to find out what's "in" is Instagram! There are dozens of tznius fashion bloggers ranging from different age groups and aesthetics. Not to mention that most, if not all, of the best stores have Instagram accounts as well. If you have a smartphone, this is by far the easiest and most convenient way to see all the varieties of what is trendy.

Would you share a few of your favorites?

-clueless fashionista

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 1:14 pm
I live in town, where every season, there is a certain 'look' that must be cultivated and worn, so I totally get why people would be frantically asking online what constitutes the 'look'. Even within the Jewish stores, there are some styles which are must-haves, while some racks are there for those who dislike the 'look' and are looking for something more or less conservative or untrendy - heaven help those who accidentally peruse that rack - and some accessories which the fashion clueless would never think of matching together or picking up, but which absolutely must be worn to give off that 'trendy' vibe.

That being said, every season I routinely disregard all the subtleties and narishkeiten raging through my town. I look reasonably stylish and buy current styles in the department stores which look good on my figure and bring out my best features.

I think the whole style situation is a symptom of the general in-town need for conformity. We graduated high school uniforms, but some people sadly never graduate the compulsive need to wear uniforms.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 1:34 pm
amother wrote:

I think the whole style situation is a symptom of the general in-town need for conformity. We graduated high school uniforms, but some people sadly never graduate the compulsive need to wear uniforms.

There are still a fair amount of women out there who didn't have uniforms. Maybe that explains it Wink

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 3:08 pm
I live in Flatbush..I never buy what's in style..I always buy what makes me look the skinniest. If I buy something that is not black, I consider that a major accomplishment!

MadameX

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 5:19 pm
amother wrote:
Would you share a few of your favorites?

-clueless fashionista

Personally, I like frumeettaubenfeld, fabologist, eishesstyle, fashionisha, and such.a.betty. If those aren't to your liking, there are many more to choose from that have different styles.
Regarding stores, most of them have an account under their name.

livinginflatbus

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 5:25 pm
I don't know how so many people peruse the Jewish stores and walk out with a mountain of clothes. Who can afford that with one dress often costing more than a $ 100 dollars... Maybe I'm jealous: just saying
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics