Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Changing over

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 7:24 am
Just curious when most people are changing over this year before or after shaboss? I'm usually a last minute person but I'm really trying to get done before shaboss so I can organize and cook early so I don't have to go into the seder exhausted. I'm going away for shaboss so don't have to worry about cooking this week but still have alot to do.

salt

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 7:29 am
I'm changing over next week Wed evening, and cooking Thursday.
It doesn't take me more than a day to cook for 1 day Yov Tov (Israel).
I hate having to wash dishes in the bathroom and eat on the balcony for days on end. Don't see the point in having 2 weeks of pesach instead of 1.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 7:39 am
Same here. Im also in Israel and need a day to cook so I will change over on wed night or thursday morning. I refuse to have Pesach before its actually Pesach. And we only have one table so to change it over earlier would not be possible.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 7:42 am
I'm cleaning the kitchen Monday and then kashering and turning over on Tuesday. I'm taking it easy for the seders and only making chicken soup and a crockpot roast so really I'd be fine turning over last minute if need be.

etky

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 7:58 am
salt wrote:
I hate having to wash dishes in the bathroom and eat on the balcony for days on end. Don't see the point in having 2 weeks of pesach instead of 1.

Me too. Though I hope to be pessadik late Wed afternoon and to do some cooking, or rather baking, already that evening. Having one day yomtov instead of two at the beginning makes all the difference. The two-day chag-Shabbat at the end of the chag are more intense cooking-wise but then there isn't the pressure of cleaning and turning over, there's a whole week of chol ha-moed to cook and freeze if I want and if absolutely necessary I can utilize the eruv tavshilin and cook for Shabbat on Friday (though I hate doing that...).
The worst is when the seder comes out on Sat. night. Then there's cooking pressure at the beginning of the chag too which is so much more difficult.

cm

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 1:00 pm
I generally do the kitchen Sat night and Sunday, as I have Sunday off from work. We are usually Pesachdik a few extra days, but we don't mind.

imasinger

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 1:06 pm
Today, iy"H. Chametz in the DR, but I will start cookng soon!

heidi

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 1:20 pm
We're only home for the first chag. I was feeling guilty not turning over earlier but can't really justify being pesachdik for longer than we'll actually be home on Pesach!
We'll stop using the sinks Wednesday morning and I'll turn over Thursday morning.
I usually make Shabbat in a couple of hours on Friday so why should this be any different?

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 1:30 pm
Sunday morning I plan to clean. I would like to be turned over on Monday. Based on how we eat the rest of the year no one will be deprived iyh.

SacN

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 1:35 pm
Turning over motzei shabbos. Live in Israel.

We'll eat chametz in the living room another couple/few days, but my husband works crazy hours and that's the only night I know he'll be home to help me. I can do the living room myself but turning over the kitchen is too big a job!

I plan to do my major grocery shopping Sunday and start baking/cooking pareve foods for Chol Hamoed Monday/Tuesday and cook for yom tov Wed, and prepare seder Thursday and have a relaxing Friday.

Shabbos yom tov is amazing when you keep one day. BH.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 1:55 pm
salt wrote:

Same.
I'm actually thinking of going to a hotel for Tues/Wed. The prices are good, the rooms are empty and we'd love to relax for a few days before Pesach.
I can cook for a Seder Friday night and lunch on Shabbat between Thursday and Friday morning.
But I'd only go if my shopping is done and the kitchen turned over by Monday evening.
I don't think that's a problem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics