Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Aug. 27th NY meetup?
1  2  Next

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 12:42 am
Anyone interested in meeting on the 27th of August in Central Park?

Around 11 a.m. or 2 p.m.?

Would later be better?

Anyone?

shopaholic

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 10:22 am
Sounds nice, but the time & location are out for me. Have fun!

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 10:34 am
sounds FUN - too bad I'm so far away ...

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 11:03 am
Me either . . but enjoy it !

Yudit

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 11:39 am
how about if we all go out to eat together in bp or flatbush Question

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 12:04 pm
Well, I figured since some of us have kids and we don't all use the same hechshers, I thought having a picnic in Central Park was a good idea.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 12:13 pm
hey kmelion - it is a good idea ... the problem is with getting a bunch of imamothers to agree - I don't think anybody understand how hard it is to travel from out of the state or country - they feel it's a big travel from one borough to the next ... Scratching Head What

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 12:28 pm
greenfire wrote:
hey kmelion - it is a good idea ... the problem is with getting a bunch of imamothers to agree - I don't think anybody understand how hard it is to travel from out of the state or country - they feel it's a big travel from one borough to the next ... :scratching head :what

Yeah, I see that.

And as someone who spent most of her life living, learning and working in Brooklyn and Manhattan, I honestly don't understand the big deal of Central Park. Public transportation in 3 of the 5 boroughs is fantastic and getting around isn't the big deal people make it out to be.

Even with kids.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 12:33 pm
I'm only saying this because when I wanted to meet in brooklyn ... everyone from monsey or williamsburg or even boro park wanted to meet where they were ... and when I even schlepped to boro park for their convenience they didn't show ... so go figure ... especially after travelling 493 miles ...

not to negate the people that did "I LOVE YOUs" ...

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 12:39 pm
One of the reasons I try to do this is so I can either meet as many online only friends or get together with as many old time real life friends as possible, without spending my entire vacation just visiting with friends.

I figure those who want to meet me, will make the effort.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 12:42 pm
so you invited your irl friends too - that's sort of what I did ... I just said this is where I'll be ... whoever wants to come ... family or amothers ... I was with the kids and I figured if nobody showed - we still had our pizza and icecream too ... some showed ... others did not ...

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Fri, Aug 10 2007, 8:07 am
Kmelion, I would looove to meet you but it's the day of my sisters wedding so I'll be to busy to travel from monroe to Manhattan.. I wish I could make it.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 6:40 am
Ok, August 27th, 2 p.m. at The Dairy visitor's center (aprox. 65th Street, closer to the east side).

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 7:58 am
What about prospect park? I would have all of my kids with me since its going to be the time between camp. Central Park is a bit of a shlep with little kids especially if its hot but prospect park is very easy for me.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 8:02 am
kmelion is that a restaurant or an area in Central Park ...

GAMZu

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 8:38 am
Um, with one kid, it's not so bad to travel. But with more than one? Sure, go ahead if you don't mind leaving one child behind on the train or having one hop off at a stop while you tend to the other kids.
I've tried going on trains with kids. It's nearly impossible with more than one. Then factor in shlepping the stroller up and down millions of stairs... Yes, even a 3 or 4 y.o. needs a stroller on a long trip.

Quote:
Public transportation in 3 of the 5 boroughs is fantastic and getting around isn't the big deal people make it out to be.

Shows you haven't been here for some time. The metro system is one of the oldest, most decrepit and ancient ones in the world. Nowhere else is there a metro system that is totally unaccessible for people who can't walk (think wheelchair or stroller.)

So while I do travel by train if I must with one child, I'd NEVER even think of going with 2 kids unless I'm with another adult.

Have fun! Doesn't seem like many ppl can make it, though.

faigie

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 9:30 am
yeeeeeeeeeshhhhhhh.. I use the metro system all of the time. though it isnt user friendly if youve got kids,( stairs, a lot of them) if youre traveling alone its wonderful!
the "dairy" is an information center in the southern part of central park. I think.. I just got finished reading a book on touring ny, so id have to flip back to be sure. but im nearly 100% sure.

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 11:01 am
I think the public transportation here is great, but even from my neighborhood, I'd have to take a bus and 2 trains to get to CP, so no can do with a 2yo, a double stroller, and a toddler that can't even walk yet:(

if it's not walking distance or easily drivable (is that a word??) I can't do it.

but great idea! I wish I could make it, really, because my kids would probably love the park.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 1:50 am
Actually, we can have a meet on the 27th, but only if the meet happens in the wedding hall... in monroe.. I'll be there.. who else will show up.??

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 8:19 am
What wrong with prospect park? There are some really nice playgrounds in prospect park. There is also a zoo there too.

I have taken 3 kids on the train to central park and I wouldn't be doing that again anytime soon. My kids were very well behaved and it wasn't busy at all. BUT it was really hard. I had a toddler in a stroller with a 3 and 4 year old walking with me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics