Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why shop on Amazon
1  2  Next

ttbtbm

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 8:53 am
Convenience aside.
I found items that I almost purchased on Amazon for much lesson Target. I always thought you can get great prices on Amazon! Can someone explain Amazon shopping?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 8:58 am
ttbtbm wrote:
Convenience aside.
I found items that I almost purchased on Amazon for much lesson Target. I always thought you can get great prices on Amazon! Can someone explain Amazon shopping?

I compare before buying. If I can find the same product, or something comparable, for less somewhere else, I will get it somewhere else. But I generally haven't found that to be the case. The toys are usually more expensive at target, the shoes don't compare at all....

OOTBubby

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:28 am
I also always check prices and Amazon is usually either cheapest or the same as elsewhere. Plus it is much more convenient. Buy the item with a couple clicks on the computer and (with Prime) it arrives in 2 days. I've bought online from Target and the stuff takes forever to come. I order from Amazon several times a week.

lfab

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:33 am
I always double check to make sure that it's the best price before buying. If I find it cheaper elsewhere then I buy it elsewhere. For most items though I find that Amazon ends up being cheaper. Certain items (like diapers, wipes, some household cleaners, etc.) I know I can get cheaper other places if I shop sales/use coupons so those I don't buy from Amazon. Also, if I only need 1 or 2 small things and I know there's no way I'm making it to Target or another store to get it in time then I will sometimes order from Amazon even if it's a few dollars more to save myself the hour or 2 it would take to make a trip to Target with all my kids in tow.

observer

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 10:33 am
Prices on Amazon fluctuate greatly. If you don't just buy blindly but monitor the prices, you can often get better deals than elsewhere.

cm

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 10:37 am
I very rarely see higher prices elsewhere. It probably depends on what you are buying.

I do go to Target very frequently and use my Target card, which gives a nice discount, but I buy different things there (mostly consumables such as bread, milk, cleaning supplies, health-and-beauty).

LittleDucky

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 10:43 am
I am a Couponer. Most of the time I can get household goods cheaper than amazon but if I look carefully I have found amazing deals on diapers, wipes, canned food.... With free shipping to my door. Prices change all the time so there is no "it's cheaper at amazon" on anything. I don't think there is any one store that is the cheapest - it depends on how you shop and for what items.

OOTforlife

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 10:46 am
Saying "convenience aside" for Amazon is like saying "Other than that, how'd you like the play Mrs. Lincoln?" At least for me, convenience is far and away the main draw.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 10:57 am
1. Convenience. Much larger variety.
2. Free 2 day shipping (I have Prime)
3. Much larger amount of reviews on Amazon than other stores
4. Return policy/customer service is excellent

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 11:08 am
Their prices are not always the best (usually but not always) but convenience is definitely the main thing. I have prime and it totally pays off. Anything I need I click and ship two days later it is at my door. Diapers and wipes are on a subscribe and save, free shipping, discount and arrives at my door monthly, nothing can compare.
I spent a long time comparing this store that store and the next but amazon and prime worked out the best for my money.

Often I find items for cheaper elsewhere but shipping takes longer or is more expensive so in the end it adds up to just use amazon.

mille

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 11:29 am
My time is also worth something. It would have to be much cheaper at Target to merit a trip for me. Convenience is the #1 thing - we order on Amazon multiple times a week. Most of the time, the price is comparable or cheaper in my experience.

queenert

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 11:37 am
I'm surprised so many people find the prices on Amazon so good. I also find other stores to be cheaper (not by much that it would trump the convenience/two day shipping if I need it). Maybe because I'm also a couponer/saleser.

I do Amazon when my credit cards gives me points/% back, when I need something fast, or if I check out the prices and they are better.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 11:58 am
Pricing is competitive (not always cheaper), I don't have to search or shop around for items I need, don't have to think about what else I need in order to make a free shipping minimum which usually delays my purchase by days, I just click one button through my phone and item arrives in 2 days, and if necessary simple free returns with no hassle.
If you only have 2 minutes to think about what you need in the house (no time for searching, price comparisons, getting to a store), working and running a busy household too, then amazon is your best bet.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 12:15 pm
I'm guessing it depends where you live because amazon is expensive to me as well

going into a local store and choosing is easier than shopping on-line

if you don't have a target or walmart near you than you don't know how much cheaper it can be ...

and let's not forget to add the $100 amazon prime membership

sky

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 1:38 pm
Many times I find Walmart cheaper then Amazon, and walmart ships fast even when free, Amazon many times does not. (I don't have Prime)

Amazon's prices vary greatly, especially on popular items. You have to be careful when going back to your cart or reordering.

doctorima

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 3:14 pm
As others have said, the convenience of not needing to leave my house, real reviews (always check to make sure they didn't get the item for free to say nice things about it), competitive pricing, and quick shipping (Prime member) are more than worth it.

For big purchases, I'll do a quick check using Google's Shopping tool to see if it's cheaper elsewhere, or sometimes check SlickDeals for previous posts to get a sense of what's a good price.

There's also a wonderful tool called camelcamelcamel.com (weird name, but it's legit) that can show you the price history for any Amazon listing, so you can know if you're getting it for a good price or not, and you can also use it to set price alerts that email you when something you want has gone back down in price.

pause

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 3:21 pm
mille wrote:
My time is also worth something. It would have to be much cheaper at Target to merit a trip for me. Convenience is the #1 thing - we order on Amazon multiple times a week. Most of the time, the price is comparable or cheaper in my experience.

I have a Target RedCard (free), so there's no minimum purchase needed for free shipping. Plus I get 5% off my order. Plus free returns to the closest store. I don't like shopping on Amazon because many things are not returnable.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 4:10 pm
I just want to clarify. I don't use amazon for everything. I still make errand runs, grocery shop... I know pricing and still price shop on bigger items that are easily available elsewhere. I buy my children's clothes online elsewhere. But amazon is a wonderful tool I use often.

cnc

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 4:31 pm
pause wrote:
I have a Target RedCard (free), so there's no minimum purchase needed for free shipping. Plus I get 5% off my order. Plus free returns to the closest store. I don't like shopping on Amazon because many things are not returnable.

I have a Target red card too...I think there are actually free returns. The thing is that shipping takes forever- seriously.

I have Amazon Prime and most items are free returns. I can't think of any Prime items that are not returnable. I have a student email address so Prime only costs me $49 a year instead of $99.

I order from Amazon at least 3 times a week.

mille

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 5:00 pm
Also want to add that many purchases for me now are free same day shipping if ordered before noon, or free one day shipping otherwise. So often I can order on Amazon and get it before I even have a chance to go to the store!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics