Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Do schools have to ask you before spreading your pay?

notshanarishona

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 8:32 pm
I recently started working in a school for a 6 week job (basically taking over for someone else).
We agreed upon a salary verbally and only a few weeks after I started the job did they give me some form of a contract or " at will agreement" in writing.
[side point but first complaint was that the salary in writing was a few hundred less than we agreed and the director's response was " sorry, it wasn't approved for that amount. " I guess next time I need to not trust anything]

My major complaint, is I just got my pay check for less than half the amount due for a month and when I inquired they told me they divide my paycheck into even amounts to give me a partial salary through August. Meaning instead of getting $1500 for a month, they are giving me approx $400 now, $400 next month, $400 July, $400 August, etc.

First question, is this legal??

Whenever I worked for schools in the past, we were asked if we wanted to get paid through the summer but it was self understood that we had the option to get paid each month?
It doesn't make any sense that for covering a job for 6 weeks, to split it into 4 months as if I had been teaching the whole year.

Second question, I took this job at a very hectic point in our life b/c we need the money now. If I had known it would not be available now, I would not have done it.

I have a better job starting in a couple of months and won't be tight that I would need to do such long hours and hard work for smaller pay than I will be getting then.

The school does not sign a contract but a "at will agreement" that either side can quit or terminate employment without notice.
Obviously , if I would quit without notice it would be very hard on the students and not ideal but I feel like the administration tricked me, are overworking me for what I am getting paid, and then are paying in a very not fair way by spreading it out.

Would that make me look bad for other employers or if they don't make me sign a contract it is their problem?

cm

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 9:12 pm
I don't work in a school setting, so I don't know what is standard re: spreading out your pay, but from what I have heard about Jewish schools (you did not mention whether or not this is a Jewish school), they often have cash flow problems and you might not get paid on time or at all if you don't take this arrangement.

About "at will" employment: in my area, it is very rare for anyone to have a contract unless you are a public employee or in a union. At will employment means you can be let go without cause. Technically, you could walk off the job if you wanted to, but it would be highly unprofessional. It certainly would raise a red flag for future employers if you did not give industry-standard notice...unless you had solid reason to believe you would not be paid, in which case you could explain your actions, if asked.

About the salary discrepancy - lesson learned. Always get the terms in writing. It does make me wonder how solvent this school is. Do you know if they have difficulty making the payroll on a regular basis?

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 6:56 am
Yes, it is a Jewish school, but I was told that they pay on time by several members of the administration. To me , calling it paying on time by spreading out your salary is not all paying on time.

As far as the at will agreement, I have seen in the one month I have been working here, they fired 2 teachers without advance notice so it seems that it applies in their direction.

baby12x

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 8:31 am
Many schools spread out payments, (as in divide salary by 12 instead of 10 but I've never heard this being applied to a short-term substitute.
Did you ask them if you can get paid.in full at the end of the month?.what did they say?

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 5:30 pm
I asked and was told no.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 5:45 pm
I'm sorry this is happening Sad

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 9:16 pm
So I guess I am being silly to consider quiting?

I just feel like if they are dishonest with me then I don't owe them anything and I have no reason to work if I am not getting paid when I need the money.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 10:41 pm
Something similar happened to my daughter. She was hired as a teacher in a Jewish day school. They asked for an official background search or criminal record or something similar which cost $50 that will be reimbursed.

After beginning to work they said she can only work as a substitute and the $50 refund is only for teachers. She reminded them they hired her as a teacher, so they reluctantly returned the fee. They only called her on crazy days, you know the ones that nobody wants to work. Then they wondered why she wasn't available.

Only when she pointed out another part time job was giving her steady hours and the teacher that filled her spot wasn't working out was she offered the original job back.

In no way should you put up with this type of unethical hiring and payment plan or lack thereof. Please notify them that you took this job with an understanding. In a 6 week arrangement getting paid even one time per month would mean you should get fully paid within 2 months.

Perhaps a Rav needs to get involved since you are relying on being properly compensated for your work in a timely fashion.

If you feel you must quit, send them a proper letter as to the reasons why so that you have that on record and proof for any future employment.

1) due to payment changes after hire
2) due to lack of timely payment

good luck !!!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 11:20 pm
greenfire wrote:
Something similar happened to my daughter. She was hired as a teacher in a Jewish day school. They asked for an official background search or criminal record or something similar which cost $50 that will be reimbursed.

After beginning to work they said she can only work as a substitute and the $50 refund is only for teachers. She reminded them they hired her as a teacher, so they reluctantly returned the fee. They only called her on crazy days, you know the ones that nobody wants to work. Then they wondered why she wasn't available.

Only when she pointed out another part time job was giving her steady hours and the teacher that filled her spot wasn't working out was she offered the original job back.

In no way should you put up with this type of unethical hiring and payment plan or lack thereof. Please notify them that you took this job with an understanding. In a 6 week arrangement getting paid even one time per month would mean you should get fully paid within 2 months.

Perhaps a Rav needs to get involved since you are relying on being properly compensated for your work in a timely fashion.

If you feel you must quit, send them a proper letter as to the reasons why so that you have that on record and proof for any future employment.

1) due to payment changes after hire
2) due to lack of timely payment

good luck !!!

The problem is with places like these, if she quits she won't ever see the money. Ever. She can call all the rabbanim she wants to, she can expend time, money, and aggravation taking them to a din torah, and yet she will not see the money. They will just delay, delay, delay, until OP will give up.
OP, since they have you roped in, I'd say you should just finish it. And lesson learned to get stuff in writing (although honestly, I don't think these places give a blank and would just as well violate a written agreement as well). Can you sense I don't think highly of frum businesses?

SRS

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 12:24 am
Hourly employees are to be paid hourly, not treated as salaried employees. I do not think the school is compliant. I think you have every reason to walk, but that choice needs to make sense.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics