Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Brushing teeth

suomynona

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 2:29 pm
How do I get my son to let me brush his teeth? He'll let me brush for about 2 seconds. Then he clamps his mouth shut and doesn't let me do it anymore. He only wants to do it himself. If I manage to brush for more than 2 seconds, he is almost gagging when I do the back teeth even though I'm no way going too far back. So far I'm not using toothpaste. He's about 21 months.
Luckily I'm getting him out of the apple juice habit, but still, I feel like I'm accomplishing nothing with the toothbrushing.

ohbaby!

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 3:15 pm
What I started doing to my daughter who also would not let me brush her teeth, is telling her:
"hmmm.. lets see what you have in your teeth..."and start naming all different kinds of food she ate on that day, this way she would join in by saying some other foods, and meanwhile I was able to lift her lips to get the toothbrush to rub her little teeth...it became like a game..
it took a while but we got there!! Wink

gryp

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 3:51 pm
Make sure you're using a toddler's toothbrush. I tell my kids to say "aahhh" and "eeee"and that pretty much does it.

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 5:10 pm
My daughter was doing the same thing...She insisted on 'doing it myself' every time I tried to brush her teeth, then she would just suck the toothpaste off and chew the bristles LOL ....

What worked for us was this:
I bought a separate toothbrush for her that only I use, and I let her keep the chewed-up one. I taught her that after she lets Mommy have a turn, she would get her turn with her special brush. She holds 'her' brush while I brush her teeth with 'mine', then I give her a tiny dab of paste on hers and let her have fun with it. Smile

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 5:16 pm
have you tried a kiddie electric toothbrush? they're fairly cheap, have fun characters, and will brush while your son bites. I got myself a kiddie one for a while, large brushes are less comfy for me. (ok, I felt silly using a spider-man toothbrush, but it worked well.) just don't turn it on until it's in his mouth, some kids are scared of them at first.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics