Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Moving and Packing Tips

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 12:57 pm
What have you found worked or didn't work to prepare for the move?

Any moving tips regarding packing supplies, day to move, what to bring to the house before the move (food or smth) etc. would be appreciated.

The whole family is home on Sundays but most kids are out till about 3 on weekdays.
Should we aim for Tuesday?

Anon bec I don't want people to know yet about the move.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 2:10 pm
Have one box with the absolute essentials that you can't go the night without- some paper goods to eat from (even with takeout you will want water). Also a few spare diapers, wipes, comfort items (blankets, teddy) AND toilet paper.
Don't forget the TP.
That way even if the majority of stuff is still in boxes (because things always get delayed) you can still survive and get kids to sleep. I once slept the first night on a mattress of the floor with my coat for a pillow/blanket because nothing else was unpacked from the car (which wasn't home because it went to get something else emergency from the store ) and it was super late and was soglad I remembered the TP.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 2:17 pm
Thank you, ducky!
I haven't thought about tissues for sure!!

I thought to pack everyone an individual backpack with clothing and essentials for 2 days, like for a mini vacation. This way they have their camp stuff, pajamas etc. in one place.

I guess I'll add a "trip" box with paper goods, snacks, sandwiches. And diapers.

I've once read a tip here on imamother to remove everyone's bed linen with blankets, wrapped in a sheet and pack these into one box. Then you can unpack linen straight onto beds.

Looking forward to more ideas.

sunshine5

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 2:21 pm
Color code each room with colored stickers from the stationery store assign one color for each room and put a sticker on each box in which it belongs like that the movers will know in which room to put your box and you don't need to go searching for your pots in your bedroom or for your underwear in the bathroom. Or to have your whole entryway packed with boxes.
Good luck with the Move.

sunshine5

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 2:21 pm
Also pack all your silver jewelry and valuables separately and move back in your car or keep it at a relative's house until you're ready to pack it out you don't need your Movers to be handling those things.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 2:35 pm
sunshine5 wrote:
Color code each room with colored stickers from the stationery store assign one color for each room and put a sticker on each box in which it belongs like that the movers will know in which room to put your box and you don't need to go searching for your pots in your bedroom or for your underwear in the bathroom. Or to have your whole entryway packed with boxes.
Good luck with the Move.

Love this color coding idea- forgot about it! Totally do it!
Also label the boxes well- "kitchen, meat frying pans and pots". Not just kitchen...

More than Half the battle is the packing. If you get that right it is simple to unpack.

And I would definitely do a suitcase for each kid with 3 days of stuff (down to toothbrush, sheets, towel, camp stuff etc). The box with extras was in addition to it- more of a family box (don't forget one soap, toothpaste and one shampoo for the family. Kids need baths!).

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 3:51 pm
Yes, color coding is good.
I would even put a colored sticky note on each room door so that it's clear where each box is going. Plus I'd write floor # on the boxes.

What kind of paper to use as packaging for dishes? Other than newspaper, cause it leaves dirty smudges all over dinnerware.

Should I aim to finish packing on a Monday and move on Tuesday?
On Sunday all kids are home and while they can pack some time, it's still mostly child-caring and entertaining day. I could do some on a Sunday with kids as part of Sunday fun and do real packing the following day.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 4:33 pm
Check out the similar topics below for more tips.

Are you moving locally? It's great if you can stock your fridge before the move with easy to grab food and cold drinks. Otherwise, bring that sort of thing in a cooler.

Number each box and keep a master list of what each one contains so you don't have to rummage through multiple boxes each time you need something right away.

Make the beds first thing when you get there because you'll be exhausted by bedtime and won't want to start dealing with bedding then.

Make sure you have enough cash on hand to tip the movers. Check how they want to get paid as well. They'll appreciate if you have cold drinks for them as well.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 7:05 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, color coding is good.
I would even put a colored sticky note on each room door so that it's clear where each box is going. Plus I'd write floor # on the boxes.

What kind of paper to use as packaging for dishes? Other than newspaper, cause it leaves dirty smudges all over dinnerware.

Should I aim to finish packing on a Monday and move on Tuesday?
On Sunday all kids are home and while they can pack some time, it's still mostly child-caring and entertaining day. I could do some on a Sunday with kids as part of Sunday fun and do real packing the following day.

In addition to color coding, I wrote little descriptions on each box. It helped a lot when we first got there and were looking to unpack the important items first. When we were packing we didn't always know what would be important so the descriptions were helpful.

Use paper towels for dishes but it will cost a lot.

Aim to finished packing before shabbos. Packing always takes longer than you expect. Try to get invited out for the shabbos meals.

Make sure you have fresh linen on the beds before moving (you can change them before shabbos), roll everything up neatly on each bed and place in a garbage bag, and when you get to the new place, all you need to do is put on the fitted sheet and then lay out the comforter that's already encased in the duvet and covered pillows.

As your mover ahead of time if they will provide wardrobe boxes. This way you can leave all your hanging items as is and they will transfer to the hanging boxes and then to the new closets when you get there.

Keep a separate bag of items you'll need as soon as you get to the new home with windex, paper towels, hammer, food, etc.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 7:18 pm
Hire a reputable moving company with good insurance. Think national companies like bekins or atlas. It might be a little more expensive than local company guy with a hand truck and day laborer, but having movers that arrive on time and are capable of disassembling and reassembling furniture is important!
Also get a quote on having them pack for you, it might be worth it for you.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 11:55 pm
sunshine5 wrote:
Also pack all your silver jewelry and valuables separately and move back in your car or keep it at a relative's house until you're ready to pack it out you don't need your Movers to be handling those things.

Good advice, when we made Aliya my mother hid her jewelry in her closet and the movers stole all of it.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 6:54 am
If you have time and patience, buy bubble wrap and wrap your fragiles in there.

Wrap your plates in towels - you need to pack them anyway (use big towels and tuck it around the dishes). Bring over fragile stuff yourself that you care most about so you don't have to worry.

For glasses (wine and regular), get liquor store boxes with inserts (like what you get a box of wine in). Liquor stores are usually more than happy to give you their boxes for free. Use newspaper or paper towel to wrap and just stick them in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics