Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Charactor school bags.
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Mrs.Norris

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 5:44 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
Kids have a powerful attachment to their schoolbag, so I think it's important to keep them free of associations that don't match our chinuch values.

what? I don't even remember what school bags I had, I definitely had no attachment to them ... oh actually I think I once had a Toy Story lunch box.

And what on earth is this about the Thomas the Tank Engine? I actually genuinely have no clue what anyone is going on about, that used to be my favourite book/tv show and if the messages are so subliminal why am I not a raving Christian? LOL

mimivan

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 5:46 pm
I don't know if it is permitted to go into details about a Xtian mushal...

I don't actually know the details about Thomas or Lion, but about the latter, I'm 100% sure it was a Xtian mushal (the author was C.S. Lewis, a theologian)

BTW, Wizard of Oz is a political allegory, I thought, not a religious allegory. so maybe it isn 't so bad?

Mrs.Norris

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 6:07 pm
yeh but Thomas? It's a story about trains and the main one being the cute one, Thomas.
Of course if you read so much into everything you can find allegories in just about anything.

mimivan

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 6:09 pm
Yes, he is pretty cute...I'm not 100% sure about Thomas.

Maybe I'm just paranoid...(the Lion Witch and Wardrobe thing is a reason to be paranoid!)

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 6:56 pm
Not for me to say. Take it at what it is. Thanks, mimivan, for helping.

mimivan

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 6:58 pm
Yeah, CM, that's right. why take a risk? Better to stick with kedusha.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 7:20 pm
Is this what you mean, on page 3?:

http://www.thomasandfriends.co......html

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 7:39 pm
you guys are totally off the beaten path ... there is nothing saying be christian in any thomas or dora or cartoons ... if you're paranoid stay away from the world ... watch it ... there are other religions lurking about ... you might see one of them ...

don't get what you don't want ... but don't make it something it is not ...

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 7:42 pm
greenfire wrote:
you guys are totally off the beaten path ... there is nothing saying be christian in any thomas

just b/c you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, or that it's not intended. aboaut the train, anyway. I do not know about dora.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 7:53 pm
Ladies, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar....

gryp

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 9:35 pm
I didn't see anything on page 3 or any other page of the story that had to do with Christianity, except for that the guy who made it up being a Reverend.

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 9:47 pm
what is it ... like one of those records from the 70s if you listen backwards it has satanic messages ... Twisted Evil

bluesclues

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 9:55 pm
greenfire wrote:
what is it ... like one of those records from the 70s if you listen backwards it has satanic messages ... Twisted Evil

doesnt that only happen if your high Very Happy Exploding anger

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 10:01 pm
bluesclues wrote:
greenfire wrote:

doesnt that only happen if your high Very Happy Exploding anger

wouldn't know ... but I could experiment now ... with some pot and a bluesclues backpack and see Idea Nervous

Mrs.Norris

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 1:08 am
chocolate moose wrote:

just b/c you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, or that it's not intended. aboaut the train, anyway.

well I don't see how ANYONE could possibly see it, let alone the small children who the books are intended for ...

mimivan

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 8:03 am
Rivka:
Quote:
Didn't you know? The message in these kids things are so subtle...they don't actually exist except for in the minds of the mentally challenged and don't forget the schizos that think the world is out to get them and everyone is trying to make them christian, including muslims and buddhists.

The only reason some people here don't like Thomas is because the writer has a Rev at the front of his name, so instantly the prejudiced paranoia kicks in.
Thomas is a classic and my son loves it, as did I and my dh when we were kids

Wow, you really like The Reverend and Thomas more than you like some of us here, do you? So much for tolerance Rolling Eyes

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 8:11 am
mimivan wrote:
Rivka:
Quote:
Didn't you know? The message in these kids things are so subtle...they don't actually exist except for in the minds of the mentally challenged and don't forget the schizos that think the world is out to get them and everyone is trying to make them christian, including muslims and buddhists.

The only reason some people here don't like Thomas is because the writer has a Rev at the front of his name, so instantly the prejudiced paranoia kicks in.
Thomas is a classic and my son loves it, as did I and my dh when we were kids

Wow, you really like The Reverend and Thomas more than you like some of us here, do you? So much for tolerance Rolling Eyes

I don't think it's about that ... it's about reality ... not intolerance of non-existant issues - which create more chaos for some peoples ... stress them out later on in life ...

mimivan

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 8:15 am
Wear and read whatever you want ...I'd never call anyone here a schizo!

So much for sharing opinions!

greentiger

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 8:36 am
Yeah, I think people just like to imagine things. I mean, I totally believe in sumbliminal messages being in books, but if they are disguised so well that even when you are aware of the problem, you can't find it, then it must not be that bad.
I must say, I read 'The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe' as a kid and I enjoyed it very much, and it was only recently that someone pointed out it's Christian connection to me. So has it affected me?? Am I going to be any more open to J-garbage because I read this book? I sure doubt it... Especially if you aren't exposed to the obvious stuff then I don't know how the 'mashal's can affect you. All the same, knowing this, I probably wouldn't run to read it again, just because I'd be trying to find other meanings in the book.
About Thomas though?? Look, I don't mean to put anyone down, but WHAT is wrong with a tank engine with a face on it?? I still haven't gotten any clear answers, even though there seem to be many mothers here who would avoid seeing him in their house at all costs. I could even understand not reading the books to your kids, if you suspect there MIGHT be a slight problem, but if your kid doesn't evewn know who he is, it's just a drawing.... BTW this reminds me of a shiur (by R' Leff), my husband was just telling over to me, and the bottom line was that there is no problem of chukas hagoy for a yerushalmi to hang xmas lights in his succah, because IF he were to see an xmas tree, he'd think they took it from us, basicly even if you do suspect something wrong with the Thomas story, why do you need to go out of your way not to have him on anything in your house, if it's just a meaningless drawing to your kid?

I think way more focus needs to be put into not letting bad midos or lashon harah into our homes, than to waste time imaging negative effects of cartoon images.

Seraph

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 8:51 am
greentiger wrote:

About Thomas though?? Look, I don't mean to put anyone down, but WHAT is wrong with a tank engine with a face on it??

Because the stories teach good "Christian values". Never mind that for the most part, christian values are Jewish values, which they got from our torah...
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics