Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
What to do with husbands yamulkas

florida1

Post Thu, Jul 14 2005, 8:13 pm
how do you wash a yamulka?
I tried puttin them in the dryer with a bouncy sheet but it didnthelp to get the smell out that gets there over time
any ideas

Tovah

Post Thu, Jul 14 2005, 8:15 pm
we just buy new ones.

tzivi

Post Thu, Jul 14 2005, 8:19 pm
hand wash them or put them in a hosiery bag in the washing machine on a gentle cycle - velvet doesn't really wash well, you can really only spot clean them

proudmom

Post Thu, Jul 14 2005, 9:08 pm
florida1 wrote:
how do you wash a yamulka?
I tried puttin them in the dryer with a bouncy sheet but it didnthelp to get the smell out that gets there over time
any ideas

If they are knitted, take a bowl and turn it upside down and let it dry that way so the shape wont be deformed.

Mommy912

Post Thu, Jul 14 2005, 9:12 pm
proudmom wrote:

If they are knitted, take a bowl and turn it upside down and let it dry that way so the shape wont be deformed.

This works with the velvet ones too.

proudmom

Post Thu, Jul 14 2005, 9:12 pm
that I didnt know.

miriam

Post Thu, Jul 14 2005, 9:33 pm
We also buy a new one.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Jul 14 2005, 11:23 pm
my husband wears it in the shower and washes it with soap!! (he does that with his tzitzis, too)

lucky

Post Fri, Jul 15 2005, 10:33 am
Some velvet ones are machine washable. Thats what I have for my husband and my sons.

technic

Post Fri, Jul 15 2005, 10:35 am
brachad I LOVE that idea - ive decided thats how well do the family laundry in future LOL LOL LOL

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Jul 16 2005, 11:56 pm
lol - well, I'm sure it would work with other clothing, but it'll probably take you more time. Smile
Btw, I do sometimes wash my support stockings while I'm in the shower because I was told it's better to hand wash - and what better time to do it then when you're washing yourself? (don't worry, I'm not WEARING them at the time)

supermom

Post Sun, Jul 17 2005, 6:04 am
brachad wrote:
my husband wears it in the shower and washes it with soap!! (he does that with his tzitzis, too)

LOL LOL
I am going to suggest it to my husband it is not a bad idea

chen

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 5:56 am
brachad, when my kids were younger, I once tried to save time by washing a garment in the shower while I was still wearing it. (the idea was to step into shower, wash self and garment, rinse self and garment, remove garment and hang in shower, step out of shower.) The wet garment felt so disgusting that I had to take it off right away. It was a good idea in theory, though.

RivkaS

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 8:33 am
solution
a) Hubby is afraid of me being rude and putting it into the washing machine and washes them by hand and in the morning I find my small salad-bowls all turned upside down with Kippas on - so that trick is ww-known.
b) I am rude and forget to take them out of pijama-pockets and they get washed in the machine once in a while and it is okay
c) I am even more rude and put them into the machine on purpose without asking - like after dirty work - and they also come out fine...
but hubby wears synthetic cloth - or is it cotton? - and not velvet, and the black is long out.
So you try what you think is best. Wink
Rivka

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 9:34 am
chen, I wash my maternity support hose in the shower. NOT while wearing them, though. It's just easier than finding the time to hand wash. You put on soap, scrub, rinse and hang, and at the same time your conditioner can be in your hair for the necessary time!

ElTam

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 12:59 pm
Just wanted to say for odor-y clothes, put a little baking soda in the wash. THe smell will come out. I found this out by my little ones because their burp rags smell so disgusting even after you wash them.

Tefila

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 1:17 pm
Now don;t gasp but you can wash them together with the baseball caps to retain it's shape in the DISHWASHER it works Yes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry