Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Poconos

amother
Black

Post Sat, Aug 06 2016, 11:11 pm
Where have to stayed? Ideally I would love a villa/home with a private pool. Where is there minyanim?

happy12

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 7:34 am
Bump

doctorima

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 10:10 am
For minyanim check godaven.com. For rentals check vrbo.com and airbnb.com. There's also the kosher Bushkill Falls hotel, which I imagine has separate swimming hours.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 10:45 am
If you are considering visiting bushkill falls, I was just there yesterday and not impressed. A very high entrance fee just to hike the trails and see waterfalls. There are other nearby parks where you can see waterfalls free. Calling it the niagara of pa is a bit of an overstatement.

sarahlieba

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 7:09 pm
jewish resource center in Stroudsburg might have a minyan. Rabbi Salkow is in charge. as for hotels, no clue. And there is nothing kosher there Sad Bushkill falls are nice, but in Poconos everyuthing is overpriced. There is Wolf Lodge (indoor water park), but no separate swimming. And they camel back water park.

sky

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 7:35 pm
amother wrote:
If you are considering visiting bushkill falls, I was just there yesterday and not impressed. A very high entrance fee just to hike the trails and see waterfalls. There are other nearby parks where you can see waterfalls free. Calling it the niagara of pa is a bit of an overstatement.

I didn't like Bushkill falls at all - very over commercialized. There are other falls in the vicinity that are much quieter. With kids Dingall falls (spelling?) is great because its an easy walk there with a carriage, its pretty, not crowded, clean bathrooms. and IIRC there were a lot of steps to climb for a great view of the falls. My kids enjoyed it.

Is this with kid - check out:
- Lackawanna coal mine
- Claws 'n Paws
- an old village "Quiet __" something or other

But as someone else said most attractions are very expensive and not a full day affair.

Is Scranton close enough for a minyan? I'd imagine you could find cheap homes for rent near there.

doctorima

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 8:15 pm
I believe sky is referring to Dingman Falls.

shanie5

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 12:49 am
the village is "quiet valley living history farm: (I think). The coal mine tour is very near scranton for minyan.
For a great falls and hike check out Ricketts glen. Im told its like bushkill but free. Ive never been to bushkill, and ricketts glen was almost 20 years ago, but my kids have done both and prefer ricketts glen.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 9:53 am
shanie5 wrote:
the village is "quiet valley living history farm: (I think). The coal mine tour is very near scranton for minyan.
For a great falls and hike check out Ricketts glen. Im told its like bushkill but free. Ive never been to bushkill, and ricketts glen was almost 20 years ago, but my kids have done both and prefer ricketts glen.

I agree ricketts glen is nicer than bushkill, but if you're coming from NYC or the Catskills it's a much longer drive. Technically it's not even the poconos it's much further west.

doctorima

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 9:45 pm
Yes, we love Ricketts Glen, but from Brooklyn it's 3.5 hours each way, and a very long day trip, and even from the standard "Poconos" it's still quite a drive. But if you can get there, it's well worth it - ~20 waterfalls along a beautiful and pretty easy 3.5 miles loop trail.

sky

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 8:41 am
I wish I would have asked about Rickett Glen - We were going to go, my kids can definitely do the distance, but they told me it was very difficult and not appropriate for kids so we skipped it - it was 1 hour from where we were staying but worth the drive. The trail they recommended for kids was not worth the drive.
Its about 1 hour from Scranton, which isn't crazy if using it as a base for minyanim.
OP never came back so not sure why putting in effort.
Knoebels is an amusement park we love that is about 1 hour from Scranton.

shanie5

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 8:57 am
Knoebels is 1 1/4 hours from scranton and is our favorite trip!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics