Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Any ideas of what to do in Pittsburgh with little kids?

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 3:23 pm
I would like to make a stop in Pittsburgh while on our road trip- any suggestions of what to do? ( I thought I started this thread but don't see it so if I did already I apologize)

lattemom

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 4:33 pm
We were there about two years ago and had a great time at the science center. I'm not sure if this is around anymore but there was this awesome interactive sports exhibit with trampolines and a bunch of fun things. Enjoy!

miami85

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 6:30 pm
how long of a stopover? what age kids? budget? what day of week/time of day? There's lots to do, but these variables can affecr things

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 6:43 pm
a day stopover. monday. two kids. 6 and 2. would rather not spend too much but don't have a specific budget.

doctorima

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 6:44 pm
Another vote for the amazing science center! Also, a fun and unique Pittsburgh activity is taking the railcar up the side of the mountain. There's also a couple of kosher restaurants there that can fill everybody up.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 6:50 pm
my dd broke her leg on a trampoline this year. I think someone mentioned something about trampolines there? Also would it be appropriate for my 2 year old? The science museum is different then the children's museum correct?

miami85

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 7:20 pm
amother wrote:
a day stopover. monday. two kids. 6 and 2. would rather not spend too much but don't have a specific budget.

Ok, there's a lot to do. For those ages, I don't know if you want the science center, it's geared at "school aged" kids, that trampoline exhibit was probably only a "Seasonal exhibit" and probably not their anymore. They do have stuff for younger kids, but I think the children's museum is your better bet. If you have a membership to any of the following, they are great, and likely covered: children's museum, zoo & aquarium--it's a nice zoo that can be "done" in a few hours, or you can take the "quick route" to Kid's Kingdom, National Aviary--just birds and penguins. Otherwise these trips are all about $13 per person, the 2 year-old might be charged at the childrens' museum (I think she'd be free at the zoo and aviary)--but from experience in the past is that it' worth it. Might have to double check their websites for current prices.

If you are looking for something a little different, search you might be able to get coupons for the Gateway Clipper fleet, it's generally expensive (again about $13/person), but last year they had coupons for labor day weekend that made it a good deal. The Goodship Lollipop cruise is family friendly.

Another nice place to visit is Phipps conservatory, if you like flowers.

If you want the truly free route. There are several great playgrounds, 2 of which are within walking distance of the big Orthodox shuls if you need something to do during davening times.

For a Monday I'd steer clear of the "Downtown" area definitely around 3pm--that's when everyone leaves work. But as long as you avoid it during then, another great "trip" is to drive up mount washington and go on one or both of the "inclines" it's only costs the price of "a round trip bus" fare, and has quite a view at the top.

Aside from a pizza store, there's also a Rita's ices and kosher Dunkin Donuts (if not makpid on c"y) that's in the Jewish section (which is about 10-20 minutes from Downtown when there's no traffic, which is about anytime that's not rush hour or a baseball game)
If you'd like more info on any of these or where things are located, don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by miami85 on Tue, Aug 16 2016, 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

miami85

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:
my dd broke her leg on a trampoline this year. I think someone mentioned something about trampolines there? Also would it be appropriate for my 2 year old? The science museum is different then the children's museum correct?

Correct, there's a science museum and a children's museum.

FWIW, the children's museum and aviary are right near each other.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 10:58 pm
which would you recommend more the birds attraction or the flowers?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 7:03 am
if we will be going to children's museums on other stops should we just go to flowers/birds or is the children's museum really outstanding? We don't watch tv... if that makes a difference.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics