Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
ISO Great Day Trip from Lakewood

sky

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 10:55 am
I'd love some ideas for a really great day trip within 2 hours of Lakewood for a family. We haven't done anything new in a while.

Also anyone go whale watching in Cape May or elsewhere during the summer? is it a major tznius issue? How are people dressed on the boats? I'm thinking maybe I should wait until the fall.

I'd like to share some of our ideas in exchange:

Fort Delaware - great day trip with ferry, tram, old fort
Cape may zoo
Atlantic City Recycling Center - Surprisingly a great family trip
Diggerland
Storybook land
Staten Island Ferry to:
- Batter State Park
- Governer's Island
- Rockefellar tram (train)
- American Girl Museum (train)
Holmdel Park - great top playground, small free zoo - with milking
Beach
Trenton Planetarium and tour the state house
Safari backpacks at Huber Woods Park (or a different Monmouth park) with a stop at Mount Mitchel Overlook: https://www.monmouthcountypark.....px?Id=3963
Allaire state park with a stop at Atlantic Farms(with biking, nature center, old village, train and picnic its a full day, no playground)
Popcorn zoo

sky

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 11:21 am
Also ISO of lazy river tubing

Growing up we had a place where you rented plain black tubes, hiked up a river trail and floated back down and it was pretty secluded and not crowded. You had to know about it to find it.

Anything like that around Lakewood?

rikki 1

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 12:56 pm
there's also Cape May Ferry- goes to Philly and back. it's a three hour round trip. I never did it but I would love to do it once.

farina

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 1:20 pm
The Pocono is only about 2 and half hours away. You can spend the day at Bush kill falls horseback riding and bumper boats. You can also go to seaside heights much closer and rent a pontoon for an hour or jet skis. Philadelphia is also under two hours u can go to the US mint (free) and lots of other attractions there.Ben Franklin mueseam.

sky

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 1:44 pm
Thanks for the ideas.

We recently went away and rented a pontoon with a tube and had a blast.
Any places that rent pontoons near Lakewood with or without a tube for slightly reasonable rates. I know its expensive, but are there places that are less than others. Not ready to spend over $150 - 200 on that.

Philly we've actually done a few times and enjoyed.

to add to my list:
Eastern state penitentiary - but can't take babies

mommyla

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 1:49 pm
Turtleback Zoo, there's an adjacent ropes course (with adult course, junior course, and zip line) and a mini golf course. Loads of fun (not that cheap, though, if a bunch of you will be doing the ropes course).

sourstix

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 2:28 pm
I'm trying to find some information about the recycling place. Can tell me which website to go to. I would like to get a feel for it before I tell dh about it?

sky

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 2:35 pm
http://www.acua.com/community-hub/tours/
We have only done the plant tour - not the windmill\water plant tour.
http://www.acua.com/content.aspx?id=4896
They are so nice and super accommodating and the entire thing is free. You have to make reservations in advance.
First they show you the sorting area - my kids loved and we returned after the tour to watch more.
Then they drive you in a company van around - see how they weight the trucks bringing trash, make compost, sort garbage, protect the local airport, control smells, there is a lookout tower in the center of the garbage dump.
There is a very different small playground made from recycled material with a picnic area and a small cute garden hike.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics