Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
"throwing things" stage

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 3:29 pm
My son, 2 yo, seems to have started a new stage. Normally he is very very well behaved and plays nicely. recently he started a shtick where he'll throw things. usually his toy cars that he's playing with. he'll start throwing one after the other and sometimes it'll hit me, once it hit the comp screen, I'm scared he'll break the candlesticks or knock s/t over on the table. so I take it away and say we don't throw, throwing gives a boo-boo. and he understands what I'm saying but he'll just pick up another one and then another. Also, it used to be he'd throw s/t, I'd say we don't throw and he'll pick it up and bring it to me to be confiscated and he won't throw a/t else. but help, now he is a little throwing monster and its esp a prob when we go to my sil.
what should I do?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 23 2007, 3:12 am
my 2 year old has been throwing everything too!
when I say to him "no throwing", it just makes him throw even more, because he probably just does it to get a rise out of me.
here's what I'm doing that is really helping.
when he throws something, don't say anything, just ignore it. when you respond to his throwing, he's just feeding off of it. just redirect him. I find that when my son has tons of toys around him, he'll just throw everything. so when I see him doing that, I just move him to another area of the house and set him up with JUST A FEW toys to work on, like a puzzle, blocks, and one book....make sure I explain to him what to do with them, and then he seems to be fine and not throw.
hatzlacha!

amother

Post Wed, Aug 29 2007, 10:02 pm
Have the same problem with an 18 month old. its quite annoying, especially since it means that the TODDLER stage has officially begun..

I just calmly tell my child-toys are for playing with, balls are for throwing. I let him throw the ball. if he continues to throw the toy, I say "I see you arent ready to play with it yet" and I take it away. then I try to distract him with a new toy...

wow, parenthood takes tons of patience...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics