Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Would this be a silly thing to start a gofundme for?
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 12:41 pm
I work as an independent contractor, not for a company that provides any professional development. I think my work would really benefit from some good PD that might even enable me to expand my practice and be able to afford things like that, but right now my family's needs have been drowning out anything else.

With all the real needy causes out there, is this a ridiculous thing to even think about fundraising for this?

Right now I'm hankering after an intense course in social skills groups which I think is a real need in our community at large but it's $2300 which I need to reserve for frivolous things like rent and tuition. Sigh.

yenta2

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 12:52 pm
If you send it to people that know you and you clearly write why you need the money for I don't see what the issue is.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 1:33 pm
I can't think of many people I know who would be both able and interested in contributing when there are so many people who are sick or disabled or things like that.

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 1:41 pm
From the mother of a child who gets a lot of help with social skills its 1000% a needed service in the community. I think you can recoup your investment easily.

I am having a similar issue in my own professional development and I told DH that I want to use a small portion of the tax return that I put in savings to take a certification class next winter. I figure the more options I have for parnassah the better off we are in the long run.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 1:51 pm
Can you find an institution in your community to sponsor you in return for your services once you take the course?

MamaBear

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 1:53 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Can you find an institution in your community to sponsor you in return for your services once you take the course?

This is a more realistic idea.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 2:11 pm
I thought of that but I couldn't think of any. I'm not far from Brooklyn, anyone have ideas of an organization or company in Brooklyn that would want someone to run social skills groups in exchange for sponsoring the training? I would seriously consider doing it for an even swap. That's a lot of free services. I just don't know anyone looking.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 2:17 pm
I'd donate $10 seeker

myself

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 3:01 pm
The thing is, unless it's a serious cause, only those who know you, or those that are particularly pulled to such a cause, are most likely to sponsor.

That means that you need to be confident that people who know you would be willing to fund your endeavour.

You will also need to promote your gofundme page, can you do that? Do you have friends who would be willing to help it go public?

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 3:18 pm
Food for thought. Thank you. I'm not sure of the answers to those questions...I suspect they're not very promising though...

I'd say the only saving grace here is that the amount of money needed is not that huge. I can probably pin about half on the hope of getting enough paying clients to cover it (ie not aiming for actual profit for a while) but the full cost is too much to lay out.

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 3:31 pm
Do the organizers of the course offer any payment options?

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 3:46 pm
No. And I have some previous affiliation with them so I had whom to ask but still no :-(

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 4:06 pm
If you can't think of an organization to sponsor you, then what about a wealthy individual who has a child you could help? Or a group of parents who would sponsor you in exchange for free services once you complete the course for a certain period of time?

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 4:55 pm
Know anyone?! Maybe I'll start a new thread with a more targeted title...

gp2.0

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 5:39 pm
There are credit cards offering zero APR for 12 months so you can sign up for one of those, charge the $2300 and pay off $192 a month and you won't be charged interest at all.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 5:50 pm
mha3484 wrote:
From the mother of a child who gets a lot of help with social skills its 1000% a needed service in the community. I think you can recoup your investment easily.

I am having a similar issue in my own professional development and I told DH that I want to use a small portion of the tax return that I put in savings to take a certification class next winter. I figure the more options I have for parnassah the better off we are in the long run.

Does your kid get help from the dept of ed our health insurance, or do you pay for it? Curious what going rates are.

We had a bunch of bumps in our financial road last year so our tax refund all went to getting back on an even keel. The way things are now I'm too nervous to take on credit card debt for something like this.

A certification class for you is probably a great idea, though I don't know what I do. I'm already certified on my field, just looking to expand my skill set and hopefully be able to offer more in a broader setting. Especially since we are somewhat likely to move away from my main job within the next year and I'm not sure if an equivalent would be available wherever we end up.

Maya

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 5:58 pm
seeker wrote:
I thought of that but I couldn't think of any. I'm not far from Brooklyn, anyone have ideas of an organization or company in Brooklyn that would want someone to run social skills groups in exchange for sponsoring the training? I would seriously consider doing it for an even swap. That's a lot of free services. I just don't know anyone looking.

Maybe a school, especially one which deals with a lot of behavioral or social issues? Or something.

octopus

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 6:37 pm
Like a michelle garcia winner social thinking conference?

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 6:43 pm
A social skills group ran in my area with 5-6 year old boys this past summer. It was done by a licensed social worker. She charged 200 a child. My son gets talk therapy where they have been mainly working on social skills ($95 an hour) and an early childhood consultant in his nursery last year also did a group. That was free. My local Jewish family services has one and it costs between 300-400 iirc.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 7:23 pm
Wow. $200 sounds like a bargain. How many kids/sessions was that?

I hope you're not paying out of pocket for the talk therapy, $95 an hour must sting.

I'm glad your child is getting so much help. I mostly hear about people looking for help and not getting enough of it because it's expensive and not covered enough. Do you feel it's helping?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics