Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Evaluation for giftedness

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 9:40 pm
My child is extremely smart. I hesitate to call her gifted, I certainly don't know what qualifies for that label, and don't really want to label her anything anyway. But being that I dont have any other children her age to compare her to, I am looking for someone to evaluate her. I would like to know what to do in term of her education. I am considering whether to put her up a grade or not. Or if she stays in her current grade, what extra things I or the teachers can do to encourage her to reach her full potential.

Is there such a thing as an evaluator for smart kids (as opposed to evaluators who see children with disabilities)? Does anyone know of such a person? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am at such a loss, I dont know what to do.

I am in Brooklyn, so anything in the area would be best. Anywhere short driving distance can work.

Ashrei

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 10:28 pm
A standard neuropsych eval will rate all parts of the IQ by percentiles. I think 99th percentile + is considered "gifted." It uses some of the standard tests on this website but you can check with the evaluator to be sure:

https://www.nagc.org/resources.....ments

If your child is strongly visual spatial than my meager understanding is that the tests need to be understood a little differently to recognize the giftedness. This is explained in Dr. Silverman's "Visual Spatial Learner."

You can call this number at NYU for an eval through insurance: (212) 598-6000

I know a child who was brought there because of some concerns to discover he was highly advanced in some areas, so I don't think the test discriminates based on your intentions of testing.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 11:51 pm
I am not sure a standard test can be an accurate assessment of a ultra chassidish child who has not been exposed to anything a secular child knows about. Unless the person administering the test comes is intimately familiar with the child's background. Correct me if I am wrong.

So I guess I am looking for recommendations of someone who can do an evaluation who is in or super familiar with the chassidish life.

Ashrei

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 12:17 am
I think pre-academic skills are just one part of the test where he might not do as well...? I know a private evaluator who is frum and might be sensitive to that but you'd have to talk to her about it and make sure you understand each other first. Plus it's a little expensive. PM if you want the info.

cbg

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 12:18 am
An educational psychologist will give her an IQ test.
The intervals are every 15 points.
A score of 100 is average
101-115 above average
116-130 gifted
131-145 genius
Most schools will put you in the "gifted" program only if you score 115 or higher on the IQ test, regardless of how well you do in school.
The score goes the other way as well
85 below average
70 cognitively challenged

A learning disability is when the child is not functioning at the level of their IQ.

So for example a child may have an IQ of 118, but has trouble reading.

On the other hand the child that has an IQ of 87 and has trouble reading can not be labeled learning disabled, because he s functioning at his full potential
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics