Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What seminary did you go to?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 5:54 pm
BYA 2012-13

anotherima

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 6:38 pm
Neve Yerushalayim 1979-1980 and 1980-1981. Was amazing! The teachers where excellent. Loved it. and yeah, I'm old. :}

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 6:41 pm
Moreshes - Staten Island. 1992 - 1993.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 6:47 pm
Bcr Gateshead 2002

amother
Red

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 7:09 pm
BCR - Gateshead new 2010-2012
It was great Smile

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 7:24 pm
Bais chana Tzfat 2008-2010

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 7:34 pm
I actually went to one of the seminaries it happened in before the scandal....and I had an amazing year and grew a lot and made friends that I still keep in touch today....

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:37 pm
none. going to seminary is not a given

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:45 pm
amother wrote:
I loved it. I hung out with friends, partied in town, smoked hash with people from all over the world, got on a bus and went to Eilat, tzfat, you name it. Stopped into a shiur once in awhile and doodled in my notebooks, had no job, no kids, total freedom. Good times! 👍🏼

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter
Me too!! I wonder if we were "in school" together.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:47 pm
amother wrote:
None. And by some miracle I still managed to stay frum, keep a kosher shomer shabbos home, and bring up children who do the same.

(Sarcasm alert. No miracle. Fourteen years of formal Jewish education and twenty-something of living in a kosher shomer shabbos parental home will usually accomplish that much.)

No need to be a hater. Girls don't go to seminary just so they can stay frum.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:48 pm
amother wrote:
I loved it. I hung out with friends, partied in town, smoked hash with people from all over the world, got on a bus and went to Eilat, tzfat, you name it. Stopped into a shiur once in awhile and doodled in my notebooks, had no job, no kids, total freedom. Good times! 👍🏼

I loved it too, but for the actual seminary experience. most people I knew took it seriously and weren't partying all day. Different crowds I guess.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:50 pm
amother wrote:
Moreshes - Staten Island. 1992 - 1993.

Wow, I never heard of a seminary in Staten Island. Where was it, and who ran it, how long was it opened, and why did it close down?

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:56 pm
MSY 03-04
I loved it, one of the best years of my life.
I went to a 'oot' school that was a real mix of people from all different backgrounds. Being one of the 'frummies' I didn't always feel like I belonged socially. Going to seminary helped cement who I am, gave me a sense of belonging.
Being so far from family and learning to be independent weren't the easiest things for me, but it was so good and important.
Not all the learning has necessarily stayed with me, but I definitely learned a lot and over 10 years later I can still see how what I learned (in class) did leave an impact.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:58 pm
amother wrote:
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter
Me too!! I wonder if we were "in school" together.

Ha! It was '99-2000. Let me guess - you turned out fine, just like I did? 💃🏽

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:15 pm
BJJ 02-03
I guess I liked it while I was there (though not for the first few months), but in hindsight, it really was not all it's made out to be. BJJ was, at least at that time, supposed to be very hard, very academic, etc... but I gotta say that I did not learn how to think until graduate school. There was just a lot more memorizing and more work than high school (which made it "hard"). True, there were friends (though most were not my type), there were trips (but who wants to go wading in the ocean in tights), and I did learn, but probably not enough to justify the 20k (or something) it cost my parents.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:26 pm
amother wrote:
Wow, I never heard of a seminary in Staten Island. Where was it, and who ran it, how long was it opened, and why did it close down?

It was only open for 4 or 5 years. It was in a shul in Staten Island, I think maybe a Young Israel, but I could be wrong, it was a looong time ago. It was run by Rabbi Lazar A"H and the principal was Mrs. Bursztyn. There was also a dorm a few blocks away, but I didn't stay in it, so I don't remember where it was located.

I don't remember why it closed, I think they had some issues the last year, or maybe he just couldn't get girls. The year I was there we had about 50 girls, and we loved it!

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
Ha! It was '99-2000. Let me guess - you turned out fine, just like I did? 💃🏽

I was a couple of years later. You must've been the girls we were all warned about...were slews of men really drinking shots off of all of your collective belly buttons?

And I like to think I turned out just fine as well Twisted Evil

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:41 pm
Hadar- partied all year it was before more seminaries opened so was more of a mix then..06'

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:44 pm
Bnos Sarah 06

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:46 pm
amother wrote:
Hadar- partied all year it was before more seminaries opened so was more of a mix then..06'

Really because hadar was really frum in 01, my friends had a really early curfew.
Page 2 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics