Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What seminary did you go to?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

sequoia

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 6:47 pm
None. Never had the chance.

I imagined going to Midreshet Lindenbaum, but of course nobody in my family saw any value in any such thing.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 6:50 pm
Shoshanim 06

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 7:11 pm
Shoshanim 09-10, there were things I didn't like but overall had a super great time and learned a lot of life lessons that I still carry with me today.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 7:37 pm
amother wrote:
I loved it. I hung out with friends, partied in town, smoked hash with people from all over the world, got on a bus and went to Eilat, tzfat, you name it. Stopped into a shiur once in awhile and doodled in my notebooks, had no job, no kids, total freedom. Good times! 👍🏼

Are you me? That describes my sentiments exactly. I do feel very guilty about the 10 grand my parents spent for this lifestyle though. Although in all fairness, they forced me to do a year in seminary. I had zero interest.

I won't give the name of the place because I don't think I'm a fair representation of the overall student body there.

Ruchy

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 7:54 pm
(Old) Gateshead Sem!!!! '07-'09
We know we know we know, Gateshead is the best sem!
Dancing
It really is and I miss it! I learned and grew so much there! I wish I could taste a little bit of that again!

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:03 pm
OP asks what sem everyone went to and people start expressing their bitterness, making the assumption that those who went to sem think that those that didn't don't stay frum? No one said that or implied it ! Why get so wound up about it ?

I went to sharfmans 98-99 and loved it!

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:21 pm
amother wrote:
Really because hadar was really frum in 01, my friends had a really early curfew.

Ye we found xcuses when ever possible to sleep out etc..

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:22 pm
amother wrote:
I was a couple of years later. You must've been the girls we were all warned about...were slews of men really drinking shots off of all of your collective belly buttons?

And I like to think I turned out just fine as well Twisted Evil

Nah, not at all. It was mostly sitting on the steps with English boys slugging wine out of the bottle, bumming cigarettes, and eating stir-fry out of a baguette.

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:29 pm
Ateres 00-01
It was amazing

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:35 pm
Bnos Yisroel, Bayit vegan. I think it was 1997-98.

I loved it!

Haven't seen any other Bnos Yisroel girls check in on this thread yet.... I am sure there are some on imamother! It was only a small seminary, like maximum 50 girls each year I think, and it only stayed alive for about 8 years I believe. I wish I knew why it closed down. It was a really great place with great staff.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:39 pm
It (Bnos Yisroel) closed for financial problems. I was supposed to go there when they decided to close and I had to find another sem fast - my principal took care of that. Anyway, when they gave a personal call to my home phone to tell us it was closing, they said financial issues...

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:18 pm
Darchei Binah 97-98. Pretty good overall. I was coming from a BY high school so for that stage of life for me it was very open minded.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:48 pm
amother wrote:
Nah, not at all. It was mostly sitting on the steps with English boys slugging wine out of the bottle, bumming cigarettes, and eating stir-fry out of a baguette.

Any of the following sound familiar? Eggon (the best hot chocolate btw!), Zalli's, Crack Square, Mike's Place....

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 10:01 pm
Nachlas '10

Amazing seminary! Loved every minute there!

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 11:33 pm
From talking to friends and neighbors of mine who work or teach in seminaries, the ones in which the girls experience the most growth are the ones with a bais Yaakov hashkafa, girls from OOT and non-bais Yaakov backgrounds, and not as academic.

What I've gathered from seminary girls in academic very frum schools is that they learned how to open a Sefer and learn inside independently.

For girls from "interesting" backgrounds, it can give a foundation and guide to how they want to run their lives. They have role models, vision, escape from the environment and so on.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 3:10 am
Beis Sara Schenierer (BSS) - Manchester. Loved it!
2002-2003

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 4:32 am
amother wrote:
Any of the following sound familiar? Eggon (the best hot chocolate btw!), Zalli's, Crack Square, Mike's Place....

Mike's Place! ❤️

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 6:55 am
Any tzioni sem girls here?! I went to midreshet moriah and it was the best year of my life. I miss it after all these years!

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 7:05 am
amother wrote:
Any tzioni sem girls here?! I went to midreshet moriah and it was the best year of my life. I miss it after all these years!
I wrote that I went to Orot. Thats pretty tzioni. It was a pure Rav Kook sem.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 7:08 am
amother wrote:
Darchei Binah 97-98. Pretty good overall. I was coming from a BY high school so for that stage of life for me it was very open minded.
I went to sem that year too. I had friends in sharfmans that year. I wonder if we ever met each other. I visited there a few times. I know its a lot of girls, but you never know Wink
Page 3 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics