Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What seminary did you go to?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 7:11 am
Iymnok wrote:
From talking to friends and neighbors of mine who work or teach in seminaries, the ones in which the girls experience the most growth are the ones with a bais Yaakov hashkafa, girls from OOT and non-bais Yaakov backgrounds, and not as academic.

What I've gathered from seminary girls in academic very frum schools is that they learned how to open a Sefer and learn inside independently.

For girls from "interesting" backgrounds, it can give a foundation and guide to how they want to run their lives. They have role models, vision, escape from the environment and so on.

Maybe in some circles. I know a lot of girls who grew a lot at mmy, michlalah, midreshet, midreshet Lindenbaum etc.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 7:13 am
amother wrote:
BJJ 02-03
I guess I liked it while I was there (though not for the first few months), but in hindsight, it really was not all it's made out to be. BJJ was, at least at that time, supposed to be very hard, very academic, etc... but I gotta say that I did not learn how to think until graduate school. There was just a lot more memorizing and more work than high school (which made it "hard"). True, there were friends (though most were not my type), there were trips (but who wants to go wading in the ocean in tights), and I did learn, but probably not enough to justify the 20k (or something) it cost my parents.

I went to BJJ 8 years before you, and it cost about 6K then. The price jump is unbelievable.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 7:18 am
Iymnok wrote:
From talking to friends and neighbors of mine who work or teach in seminaries, the ones in which the girls experience the most growth are the ones with a bais Yaakov hashkafa, girls from OOT and non-bais Yaakov backgrounds, and not as academic.

What I've gathered from seminary girls in academic very frum schools is that they learned how to open a Sefer and learn inside independently.

For girls from "interesting" backgrounds, it can give a foundation and guide to how they want to run their lives. They have role models, vision, escape from the environment and so on.
Your answer is very stereotyping. I personally only had friends who were in the more academic sems like mmy, michlala, midreshet harova and they all grew a lot. No offense but not all bais yaakov girls grew either. Its something that is each girl individually. Not sem specific.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:20 am
Bnos Chava 03-04
One of the best years of my life!
The learning was amazing. The friends were amazing. The land was amazing. The outside experiences (shabbasim..) were amazing. (I think I still sound like a seminary girl!)

But the truth is...I don't know if I'd go back there as it is. Mrs. Tarshish was the main teacher and she really made the year for me. Her entire learning curriculum made an incredible impact on me, like no other teacher ever has. And I've had some wonderful teachers over the years. But she took everything to a whole new level.

I thank my parents often for the the expense they went through to send me (though I did bring all my own spending money Smile )

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:39 am
amother wrote:
Maybe in some circles. I know a lot of girls who grew a lot at mmy, michlalah, midreshet, midreshet Lindenbaum etc.

I agree, I just don't know very many girls who went there. I can only be judgemental about what I've seen and experienced Twisted Evil Very Happy

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:01 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Your answer is very stereotyping. I personally only had friends who were in the more academic sems like mmy, michlala, midreshet harova and they all grew a lot. No offense but not all bais yaakov girls grew either. Its something that is each girl individually. Not sem specific.

There were some awesome, growing girls from Michlala in my Shana Bet year.

I agree that growth is individual, not seminary specific.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:56 am
BRKC 2008

Only year they had an american program and we had the time of our lives.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 12:13 pm
I went to yavne seminary in Cleveland
I didn't get into bnos sarah or bjj, when I originally applied.
I went for two years and got my BA.
I appreciated getting my BA in a torahdige atmosphere
it was very academic, but as much as I love to learn, I also like to schmooze, but most of the girls were more serious and weren't so into having a good time.
boarding has its plusses and minuses.
when I would speak to my friends who were in seminary in eretz yisroel I felt like I was having a much more grounded experience than them. they were busy with dorm life and tiyulim.
now I think, what difference does it make which seminary you go to anyway, because I grew so much after seminary so I wonder if it really matters.
I do think it is a shame that so many girls go because that is the thing to do, and parents shell out so much money that they don't really have because of the trend. yes, there are options not in Eretz Yisroel but many many many people go to seminary in Eretz Yisroel because of the trend.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 12:40 pm
BY Intensive in BoroPark 97
was a disaster of a year.
Life worked itself out bh.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 12:45 pm
amother wrote:
Bnos Chava 03-04
One of the best years of my life!
The learning was amazing. The friends were amazing. The land was amazing. The outside experiences (shabbasim..) were amazing. (I think I still sound like a seminary girl!)

But the truth is...I don't know if I'd go back there as it is. Mrs. Tarshish was the main teacher and she really made the year for me. Her entire learning curriculum made an incredible impact on me, like no other teacher ever has. And I've had some wonderful teachers over the years. But she took everything to a whole new level.

I thank my parents often for the the expense they went through to send me (though I did bring all my own spending money Smile )

I was there 04'-05'. I completely agree that Mrs Tarshish made Bnos Chava unique and I also gained so much from her teaching.

I didn't always like seminary,in fact sometimes it was really hard.
I do think that it helped me to grow and change.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 12:49 pm
Machon Rivkin 92-93
absolutely loved it

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 1:38 pm
no seminary here........

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 2:05 pm
I also went to BY Intensive 97-98. I wonder if we know each other. I can't remember which class I was in, I think it was known as the "out-of-town" class.

boysrus

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 2:09 pm
amother wrote:
BRKC 2008

Only year they had an american program and we had the time of our lives.

what is BRkc?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 2:20 pm
Anyone else here from EVO?

boysrus

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 2:21 pm
amother wrote:
Anyone else here from EVO?

what s that?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 2:27 pm
boysrus wrote:
what s that?

Emunah V'Omanut- small school, not the most well-known.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 2:32 pm
bcr gateshead new!
was fabyoulouss!

boysrus

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 3:15 pm
amother wrote:
Emunah V'Omanut- small school, not the most well-known.

oh yes, I did hear of it! just not with the abbreviated name! I know a girl who was there a few years ago...

achayl

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 4:51 pm
ok .... I'll be the oldest one here as far as I saw.....

JTTC Gateshead. 1986-1989. I believe it's called 'Old Gateshead' now.

Best 3 years...
Page 4 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics