Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
BEST Corned Beef Sauce

Liebs

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 7:51 am
I like to freeze meats with sauces so when heat it up it is soft. What is a delicious sauce for corned beef. Nothing too unusual that kids won't eat. I know one with brown sugar/ketchup/mustard...anyone know if good and what exact measurements are?
Thanks

essie14

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 8:48 am
This is the one I make

5 T ketchup
1 ½ T brown or Dijon mustard
3 T vinegar
2 T margarine
1 C brown sugar
2 T honey (optional)

lfab

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 8:50 am
I make a really easy sauce using 1 jar of jellied cranberry sauce and 1 packet of onion soup mix. Just mix the cranberry sauce and soup mix together in a saucepan and heat until smooth. Pour over meat and done. Quick, easy, and delicious.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 9:00 am
essie14 wrote:
This is the one I make

5 T ketchup
3 T vinegar
2 T margarine
1 C brown sugar
2 T honey (optional)

This sounds good! Can you please post cooking instructions?
Signed, amother who only knows how to make traditional sephardic foods ans wants to learn

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 9:17 am
essie14 wrote:
This is the one I make

5 T ketchup
3 T vinegar
2 T margarine
1 C brown sugar
2 T honey (optional)

I do almost the same; but use apple cider vinegar -- it really makes a difference in the taste. I've also eliminated the margarine and just put in 1 T oil (it is necessary for the ingredients to combine well).

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 9:19 am
amother wrote:
This sounds good! Can you please post cooking instructions?
Signed, amother who only knows how to make traditional sephardic foods ans wants to learn

Combine everything in a pot, bring to a boil, lower to simmer and mix until everything is combined. Pour over cooked, pickled roast and cook uncovered for 30-40 minutes. Many people prefer to cook it covered which keeps everything soft, but we like it uncovered which makes the sauce into more of a glaze.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 9:36 am
mine is similar

1 c. brown sugar
5 TBS ketchup
1 TBS oil
2 TBS vinegar
1 TBS mustard

mix together and pour over cooked corn beef and warm up for 20 min. I don't cook longer or the cook beef gets hard and dried out

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 9:40 am
OOTBubby wrote:
Combine everything in a pot, bring to a boil, lower to simmer and mix until everything is combined. Pour over cooked, pickled roast and cook uncovered for 30-40 minutes. Many people prefer to cook it covered which keeps everything soft, but we like it uncovered which makes the sauce into more of a glaze.

Thanks! Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do I buy the roast cooked and pickled or is that something I also need instructions for doing?

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 9:42 am
amother wrote:
Thanks! Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do I buy the roast cooked and pickled or is that something I also need instructions for doing?

You buy a pickled roast, but it needs to be cooked. You either cook it in a pot of water on the stovetop or in a large pan covered with water in the oven until tender. How long depends on the size of the roast -- usually 2-1/2 - 3 hours. I just check with a fork.

I then refrigerate it overnite to make it easier to slice. I make the sauce and pour it over the sliced meat and the cook it the additional amount of time.

Liebs

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 10:56 am
Thanks! Going to try one of them!

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 11:26 am
Liebs wrote:
Thanks! Going to try one of them!

I've got 3 of them in the oven right now (with the sauce); I cooked them yesterday and sliced them this morning. It is very helpful to refrigerate overnight before slicing -- makes a big difference in how nicely it slices.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 12:27 pm
Here's mine which gets lots of compliments. Even my picky eaters ask for more. It is really good and easy to make.

15 oz can tomato sauce
fill can with water
3.5 tablespoons brown sugar (I usually do a bit more)
3 tablespoons apricot preserves (generous amount)

rinse off meat and put in pot with all ingredients. Bring to boil and then cook on low flame for 3 hours. Turn over once.

refrigerate before slicing.

You can freeze with the sauce in pan.

There will be LOTS of sauce so make a side that will go well with sweet sauce - like rice, farfal, noodles & cabbage.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 4:28 pm
Wait, I'm trying to figure this out. After boiling the beef, what do I do with the water it boiled in? Do I need that?

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 4:30 pm
amother wrote:
Wait, I'm trying to figure this out. After boiling the beef, what do I do with the water it boiled in? Do I need that?

If you're putting it in a sauce after, then you don't need the cooking whet.

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 9:36 pm
Do the glaze ingredients have to be cooked together? Not e/o mentioned cooking them so just wondering if this is always a must. Can I just mix, pour over slices and freeze and it'll cook a little when I reheat to serve?

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 9:37 pm
amother wrote:
Do the glaze ingredients have to be cooked together? Not e/o mentioned cooking them so just wondering if this is always a must. Can I just mix, pour over slices and freeze and it'll cook a little when I reheat to serve?

I think it'll be hard to get them combined well without cooking, but it might work. You won't know until you try it.

ice coffee

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 9:48 pm
Has anyone ever baked corned beef covered in sauce,instead of boiling it? I wonder why that wouldn't work?

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 9:49 pm
ice coffee wrote:
Has anyone ever baked corned beef covered in sauce,instead of boiling it? I wonder why that wouldn't work?

It would take too long and the sauce would cook and the meat wouldn't get soft enough.

I do cook it in the oven instead of boiling; I put it in a deep pan and cover it with water, cover tightly with foil and bake until soft (takes longer than boiling on top of the stove). Then I refrigerate, slice, put the sauce on and bake for it to absorb the sauce.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur