Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Wearing all white on Yom Kippur - do you?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, Aug 29 2007, 10:30 am
amother wrote:
newmom wrote:
amother wrote:
If you are wearing a white skirt and you are tahor, aren't you nervous?

I'd be more nervous if I was wearing a white skirt and had a period!

Well, I meant that if you see a stain you can become a niddah (we don't wear white underwear when tahor etc) Rolling Eyes

If it happens, it happens. But who wears white underwear under white clothing? That's what flesh-colored undies are for.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Aug 29 2007, 4:18 pm
I have never been told not to wear white underwear when tahor...

shoy18

Post Wed, Aug 29 2007, 4:23 pm
Ruchel wrote:

Even if you weren't why would you?

Its called a slip!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Aug 29 2007, 4:45 pm
shoy18 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

Even if you weren't why would you?

Its called a slip!

I don't understand?

ablevaybel

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 12:19 am
I think she means that since you are wearing a slip, it doesn't matter if the underclothes are white or beige.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 12:24 am
A slip is like what? a regular underwear? there are so many types and people don't use the same words for them, so I go a bit crazy LOL

newmom

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 9:49 am
A slip looks like a skirt, usually in a silky material. It prevents your regular skirt from sticking to you.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 3:22 pm
oooooh I see! I have a few skirts who have one.

ablevaybel

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 4:35 pm
Actually, the slip that is attached to a skirt is just called the "lining". What most women wear under a skirt is a "jupon" or "half-slip" or "petticoat" (which is what it was called in my family). If you wear a dress, or want a longer undergarment, that is what is really a "slip", I.e. has a top and a bottom with straps. I have seen it called a "combinaison" or something like that, but also think we called something else in my mamere's family - possibly, "chemise", which is probably not at all standard.

It is confusing, as for German speakers, a "slip" is something that only men would wear and refers to a different piece of clothing all together.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 4:46 pm
Do women still wear jupons and combinaisons? I didn't know!

I thought now it was underwear + bra + top/blouse + skirt (or dress instead of top and skirt), and tights/socks if wanted. That's very interesting, thank you!

I remember a dozen of years ago you could still find a few jupons, but I haven't seen them in years.

ablevaybel

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 6:38 pm
Wow! I don't know any frum ladies who don't wear half-slips/jupons under their skirts. Not only is it more modest, but it extends the wear of the skirt and saves on laundering. Most commonly, they are nylon or some synthetic material, but they also exist in cotton lawn, cotton broadcloth and cotton flannel (which are snuggly in the winter!). Which reminds me that I need a new one for Rosh Hashanah - so thank you for that reminder, Ruchele! ;^)

The full-slip isn't as common under everyday dresses, I think, but perhaps still worn under more formal dresses, unless they wear a camisole and half-slip. I tend not to wear them as I find the plethora of straps annoying. AV

ablevaybel

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 6:41 pm
BTW, if you need/want jupons, we have them here in almost any department store. Smile

justanothermother

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 6:41 pm
Here is a pic of a half slip, which is the slip in reference.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 8:06 pm
Fascinating! I don't think I have seen them worn or heard about them being worn.

ablevaybel

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 8:10 pm
That's amazing.. they are so much a normal thing for frum women to wear here.

miriamnechama

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 8:26 pm
in my community I see most of the bt's only wearing white including tichels. I wouldn't simply cus I donthave but I have light coloured suots so I wear those.

there is an minhag not sure if it's rh or yk not to wear all black cus I think tha black is the syble of aveiros or the yetze hara and we want Hashem to forget about the past so we wear white which sybolizes purity. btw I heard also that for a second marriage one shouldn't wear all black.

I grew up that one dosen't mechadesh new clothing rh and yk but instead on succos, so that our thoughts should be on our tefilos and not on one's new clothing. I still hold by that and know others who do.

the gold jewellary I understand is only on yk we don't wear it, agin I think it reminds of the egel hazahav when we don't want a reminder of so we don't wear gold. I don't think rh is a problem but not sure.

I remember an intersting story my foster mom told me 45 years ago when she was first married my foster father wanted her to wear her wedding gown to shul on yom kippur. ok they weren't as fancy as today, she fixed up the dress and wore it but everyone in shul knew. she didn't care she did retzon baal. (ok don't think any kalla will do that today)

ps I'm not so keen ona white skirt.... they get dirty very easily.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 31 2007, 8:33 am
Definitely no new clothing on YK for us either!

Don't people get married in a wedding gown even for the second marriage?

ablevaybel

Post Fri, Aug 31 2007, 7:59 pm
Nope, no new clothes for YK. However, definitely new clothes for RH. Not all new, perhaps, but something new. It symbolizes our intention to start anew with a clean slate. Heaven forfend one would wear clothes on that day that one might have sinned in!

In the US there was a strong tradition in most the 20th c. for a woman remarrying not to wear white, as that was considered too "maidenly". Earlier than that, you wore your best Shabbos dress, regardless of it being black or white. Color was based more on the season.

AV

miriamnechama

Post Sat, Sep 01 2007, 4:57 pm
most will wear a nice colourful 2 pice full goun if you know what I mean, my real father's second wife wore a purple lavender suit not to the ground and my foster father's second wife wore a gold suit, with a full skirt to the groung. it was really nice. she wore it to my nephew's wedding afterwards.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur