Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Bedwetting SMELLS

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 3:39 am
Hi Everyone!
I am just SO frustrated already!!! My 7 yo is still bed-wetting and refuses to wear diapers. I am really trying to stay relaxed and not add any anxiety there. I had this with one of my other boys until the age of 9. But the smell of his room is making me absolutely NUTS! I keep washing his linen but the room still smells. I have a mattress protector but I think some may have seeped onto the mattress.

How do I clean the mattress form the urine smell?

How do I clean the blankets from his smell (I wash the blanket cover but blanket itself gets wet too and doesn't fit into my machine)?

Thanks. Feeling so depressed from my own home...feeling like it is such a smelly place Sad embarrassed

salt

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 3:56 am
Hanging the blankets outside in the sun helps. I sometimes spray with perfume or deodorant and hang outside.

There are plastic covers for quilts but I never found a good one - they always tore or the quilt just scrunched up inside.

As for pijamas and sheets, splashing vinegar on them, before putting them in the washing machine gets rid of persistent urine smells.

As for treatments (even though you didn't ask) --
I tried 'moach echad' (don't know what it's called in English) - some form of kinesiology, and also Dr Sagie's Therapee treatment, and also some other type of alternative medicine, forgotten it's name - sacrocranial therapy. Also tried waking him, not waking him, no drinking before bed, etc, etc.
Gave up on all of them. Now he's 12.5 and maybe wet once a month, we're getting there.

Just patience and tefilla, and DON'T let your child know you're frustrated. And make sure he says 'asher yatzar' after he wets himself.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 7:30 am
If you wash it in a front loader it should fit. I also wash my ds blanket in non chlorine bleach. Great! The smell is horrible! They all outgrow it. I can testify as I bedwetted till 18 yrs old!

DrMom

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 7:34 am
We used a rubberized mattress protector -- a fitted sheet with rubber on one side, terrycloth on the other, that goes under the regular fitted sheet.

It 100% protects the mattress, is easy to launder (but don't put it in the dryer), and it doesn't make that crunchy sound that some plastic sheet protectors do.

I bought them at the GOLF linens and housewares chain in Israel. Not sure where you are located, but I assume there are equivalent products in other locations.

cbg

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 10:02 am
Are you able to take the mattress outside.
On the balcony if possible

Put down a plastic tablecloth to protect it
Stand up on its short side against the side of the house
Spray with white vinegar, a lot
After its dry repeat until you only smell vinegar, or nothing

Also wash everything with vinegar.
If the smell of vinegar is too much, then rewash with detergent.
Hang in the sun to dry.

Wash the floors in his room with vinegar as well.
Or even LIGHTLY spray the carpet.

Vinegar has a strong smell, but unlike urine, the smell doesn't linger for very long.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 10:09 am
amother wrote:
Hi Everyone!
I am just SO frustrated already!!! My 7 yo is still bed-wetting and refuses to wear diapers. I am really trying to stay relaxed and not add any anxiety there. I had this with one of my other boys until the age of 9. But the smell of his room is making me absolutely NUTS! I keep washing his linen but the room still smells. I have a mattress protector but I think some may have seeped onto the mattress.

How do I clean the mattress form the urine smell?

How do I clean the blankets from his smell (I wash the blanket cover but blanket itself gets wet too and doesn't fit into my machine)?

Thanks. Feeling so depressed from my own home...feeling like it is such a smelly place Sad embarrassed

You need a waterproof mattress protector. I think someone gave you some suggestions on that.

Get Nature's Miracle, or a similar product, from a pet store. Its designed to neutralize pet smells (urine, etc), and really works.

And take his blankets to the laundromat, and use a triple-sized machine.

SingALong

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 1:25 pm
I dust carpet deodorizer powder onto the mattress while linen is being washed. I let it sit there for a few hours then I vacuum it up.

Seaside note, a dr recommended I take dd to toilet about 1 hour after she falls asleep. I pick her up without talking, carry her to toilet put her on, she goes and when she's done I walk/carry her back to her bed. Works every time likes charm. And she goes right back to sleep.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics