Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
RUNAWAY!
Previous  1  2

ssbarnes

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 12:50 am
I thought I would never use a "leash" to tether myself to my child. However, the first time that I was bringing him to the US, we were going to have layovers in Madrid, JFK and MIA.

He was used to a community in which it was safe for him to walk next to me and talk to strangers.

I also thought about my own childhood.

I too was a "runaway toddler." Once while at the bank, my mother endorsed a check and I took the opportunity to leave. I didn't cross the street. I got on the bus and told the bus driver to take me home. My mother was only 2 seconds behind me, but what could have happened?

Then there was the time at Fortunoff's that I got away from her and was found admiring the Swaroski crystal.

There worst was when I was lost (I can't remember what building we were in), but my mother had security and the police looking for me. I was found asleep on the fire escape.

My mother was not neglectful. If anything, she was seriously overprotective. I was very curious and constantly looking for a way to get away from her. It only takes 1 second.

I was not willing to risk my son's life. He wore a harness nearly the entire time we were in the US. he still had to hold my hand wherever we went, but I knew that if he let go, I had a safety net.

Tefila

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 1:18 am
Actually to the amother who said she would never put a leash on her child well guess what I too said never and with my twins on occassion when walking in amusement park I did, and it was a lifesaver. Exclamation

Also my stroller comes with five pt harness though I have only had to use the three pt I have warned them that if they get out then the five pt would be used. And trust me no child likes the five pt one it is so restrictive Exclamation

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 9:05 am
DS only did it once, but it was so shocking, I don't blame any mother for a leash.

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 9:09 am
It's happened to all of us at one point or another. I can say it has happened to all of my kids at one point or another.

shopaholic

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 10:36 am
Happened to me with 2 out of 3 kids. I used a leash with my oldest. It may seem harsh, but as someone above wrote, it's better than losing a kid.

suomynona

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 10:56 am
GAMZu wrote:
I got it at Walmart.com
The company is Goldbug.

Thanks. Just ordered it.

gryp

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 10:56 am
I haven't seen the need for a leash myself, if my kid runs where I don't want him to I just stick him in the stroller screaming and kicking. It's embarrassing but after a while he forgets to cry and gets interested in something else.
I see the need for it in extreme cases but I wish it was called something other than a leash.

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 11:00 am
I had it with my 3 1/2 year old but something different. I flew llast year to london with him when he was 3.5 now he's 4.5 both times in the airport he ran away. in israel I was able to get someone in lime to watch mystuff till I got himand then stuck him in the stroller and gave him to eat. I used teh stroller there all teh time wasn't gonna take chances and decided to wait by the gate then, tough from london was worse he went for a walk and a security personnel was so mean that she said to me go with ou luggage and find him. them when he was found she said you sure you can take care of him?? I was disgusted!! only in england would you get that not in israel, as if I can't take care of my own kid!! in israel the non frum girl behind me was so nice as to watch my case. I was so upset and frustrated I called dh on the cell. he had been in uman and was back home. I decided it's teh last time I'm doing that with ds alone, in thsi sense even today at 4.5 he's difficult with streets. so I don't do now what is too much for me. he did that also by a chasuna in london 3 years ago. (that's partly why I didn'tr tke him this time round)

though ds1, got the message quicker and at age 2 even shabbos he was scared to go on the street , untill I told him shabbos he can. (no cars shabbos in israel)

GAMZu

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 5:33 pm
"I see the need for it in extreme cases but I wish it was called something other than a leash."

It's called a harness. Tongue Out
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics