Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Is cholent healthy?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

essie14

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 1:35 am
I hardly ever make cholent. I serve grilled chicken or grilled skirt steak or turkey, etc.
I consider it unhealthy. Once in a while I make it for my kids and company.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 2:49 am
There's a spectrum of foods, from processed, high salt, high sugar, low nutritional value junk food to raw vegetables. Many foods, like cholent, fall somewhere in the middle. Healthy bodies can handle some junk. It's not going to poison you on the spot. But it has to be a small part of a diet that is mainly made up of healthy foods.

Of course, healthy isn't the same for everyone. Whole wheat bread is healthy for most people, but not for someone with celiac disease. Leafy greens may be bad for someone who is taking blood thinners.

As with most things, use common sense.

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 4:41 am
I don't add any salt to my chulent and very little oil. It's still delicious because of the spices. I soak and rinse the beans several times to get rid of the excess gas. I even rinse them once they start cooking.

I use lean meat and barley. No one notices that there is no salt added to my chulent.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 4:48 am
Chulent at it's most basic is super healthy. There is nothing unhealthy about beans, barley, and meat. Unless, of course, you're actually allergic to any of them. Even a fatty meat is not so problematic if you're not worrying about your cholesterol, and eat a relatively healthy diet during the week.

What makes it unhealthy is the seasonings you put into it, like loading it up with soup mixes and bottled sauces. The other thing that makes it "unhealthy" are the sides that people serve with it, turning it into a relatively carb heavy meal.

watergirl

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 5:11 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Chulent at it's most basic is super healthy. There is nothing unhealthy about beans, barley, and meat. Unless, of course, you're actually allergic to any of them. Even a fatty meat is not so problematic if you're not worrying about your cholesterol, and eat a relatively healthy diet during the week.

What makes it unhealthy is the seasonings you put into it, like loading it up with soup mixes and bottled sauces. The other thing that makes it "unhealthy" are the sides that people serve with it, turning it into a relatively carb heavy meal.

Anyone who is truly concerned about the healthiness of cholent should really consult with a registered dietitian. I've only once seen a cholent without potatos, although on imamother I've read people dont include them.

This topic is so broad and impossible to answer because no two Jews make the same cholent. So while one person makes a "healthy" cholent, another person can read this and apply it to their own cholent, which is made with different ingredients.

I did consult with my RD when she made a plan for me and she allowed 1/2 cup of cholent when I told her we use kalchel, kishke, no beans, potatos, ketchup, onion soup mix, some weeks a few squirts of ketchup if my husband (who makes it) is in the mood. Some weeks a bit of honey... it varies. Lean meat in cholent tends to dry out and no one eats it, so its a waste. And kalchel is the cheapest and tastiest meat. Yes, I am very aware that our cholent is in no way considered "healthy", but all in moderation is ok.

Interestingly, my RD told me that one serving of cholent should be no more than 1/2 cup regardless of what is in it. Remember people, portion size matters. When you look at what is the recommended amount of meat, potatos, grains, etc, no one should be eating the typical serving size of cholent, no matter what you put in it. I did a quick google search of calories in cholent and found that for a 12 ounce serving, the websites I checked (myfitnesspal, weight watchers, etc) listed it at 600 calories.

Serving size matters almost as much as what is in it!

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 5:47 am
It really depends what you put in it.

Beans , lean meat, spices is healthy.

Coke, ketchup, Hot dogs, Kidhka, loads of oil is unhealthy.

dankbar

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 6:00 am
Depends what diet you follow & what you consider healthy.
For low carb diet....its full of beans, barley, potatoes which is a big no no.
If you consider saturated fats as healthy fats then you have a gold mine of marrow bones, red meat with the fats etc.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 6:03 am
I think that much of Ashkenazi Jewish cuisine evolved around a climate with long harsh winters where calories were burned to maintain body heat and food was at times scarce.
Cholent kept our ancestors alive but could be killing us unless we limit the quantity and try to get plenty of exercise.
Beans are one of the reasons that people living in blue zones have such extreme longevity and good health at age 100+. Much of the diet in those places is comprised of legumes but people there are constantly active.

keym

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 6:37 am
I make a Parve cholent for supper sometimes that I consider more healthful.
Cholent bean mix, parley, onions, garlic, a small amount of potatoes, spices and maybe a tablespoon of barbecue sauce.
With a fresh salad, I consider it a full and healthily balanced meal in moderation.
Of course eating the whole pot is not good for you, but a cupful with salad is good.

miami85

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 7:22 am
Meat=protein, beans= protein, barley is a carb, but probably a healthier than cake. Potatoes, depends which kind you put in.

One Idaho potato provides 110 calories, 26 grams of carbohydrates, 1 gram of sugar, 2 grams of fiber, and 3 grams of protein. They're also free of fat and cholesterol.
Sweet potato: 180 calories. Carbs: 41.4 grams.Protein: 4 grams.Fat: 0.3 grams.Fiber: 6.6 grams.Vitamin A: 769% of the Daily Value (DV)Vitamin C: 65% of the DV.Manganese: 50% of the DV.

Back in the heyday of Susie Fishbein, I once heard someone ask her mother "Why doesn't she do a cookbook of healthy foods?" And the response was "because what's healthy to one person, isn't healthy for another person depending on their restrictions whether it's fat, carbs, salt etc." (The "Lightens Up" cookbook came out several years after I heard this conversation)

Also keep in mind what else you are eating around your cholent. Fat is filling, carbs are fuel, if you are having a cholent then don't eat a ton more, don't have 10 dips so that you are also eating lots of challah. Our shabbos day meal, especially in the winter months is basically cholent and a side, sometimes its potato kugel, sometimes other things.

Last edited by miami85 on Tue, Dec 03 2019, 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 8:32 am
You can make it healthier or not as healthy.
Eg a fatty piece of meat a ton of potatoes and no beans or minimal beans, probably not the best for a low fat/low calorie diet.

Chicken instead of meat (pulkas are delicious in chulent), barley or quinoa or beans, and fewer potatoes , probably better for some.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 3:27 pm
This type of question makes me reconsider Jewish education for my children. I get we aren’t all experts at everything but this is more a matter of life IMO. There are so many nutrient tools and calculators. My grandmother had on paper charts in the 60s even.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 4:13 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
You can make it healthier or not as healthy.
Eg a fatty piece of meat a ton of potatoes and no beans or minimal beans, probably not the best for a low fat/low calorie diet.

Chicken instead of meat (pulkas are delicious in chulent), barley or quinoa or beans, and fewer potatoes , probably better for some.

We eat lamb belly, spices and no carbs. Very fatty. Very healthy. Very delish.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 7:20 pm
cholesterol is a grains and sugar issue (inflammation from insulin spikes), not a fatty meat issue.

I do navy beans, meat, sweet potato, white potato and I consider fairly healthy. even healthier would be, winter squashes, riced cauliflower, mushrooms, meat, but I think my family would rebel Wink

fwiw, in my current opinion, healthy food is defined as mostly plant based, grain free, lowish carb, healthy fats and nutrient dense

sky

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 8:28 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Help me figure please. Barley I should have very little because Im already eating challah and I must lose many many pounds.
Meat is cholesterol. I have high cholesterol. Beans are bad for my liver. Thats another diagnosis. My family has regular cholent. Its time to make my own again. Mushrooms? What else? Im not allowed too much callories and no food that makes gassy and no cholesterol.Only a little salt because of high Blood pressure. Maybe soy? How do I prepare? Carrots? I think turnip was OK last time

I’ve had with brown rice and quinoa it was delicious instead of the barley and beans.

I don’t use bones or khishka or fatty meat or add oil or fry my onions and my cholent comes out fine. So not a lot of fat. I do add some honey and ketchup which does add some sugar. Also a lot of salt so high in sodium.
But I don’t think it’s s really unhealthy meal.

watergirl

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 3:33 am
sky wrote:
I’ve had with brown rice and quinoa it was delicious instead of the barley and beans.

I don’t use bones or khishka or fatty meat or add oil or fry my onions and my cholent comes out fine. So not a lot of fat. I do add some honey and ketchup which does add some sugar. Also a lot of salt so high in sodium.
But I don’t think it’s s really unhealthy meal.

It is unhealthy as a meal. It is ok as a component of a meal when served an appropriate portion.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 4:06 am
Here in frozen Monsey, cholent is commonly also eaten Thursday night and restaurants, the gas station, etc sell it. People here do a lot of walking so maybe that offsets the calories.
I love Jewish food and it brings back memories of my maternal grandparents, who both died of heart disease. I am not sure how prevalent heart disease is in the frum community but because I like to read about blue zones, apparently diet and activity level can offset this.

happyone

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 4:08 am
in my theory, unless allergic, everything in moderation!

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 8:26 am
watergirl wrote:
It is unhealthy as a meal. It is ok as a component of a meal when served an appropriate portion.

I sometimes serve a cholent-like stew for supper as a full meal. And it's basically our full meal Shabbos day, especially in the winter. Beans, barley, potatoes and meat with onions, garlic, spices and a splash of ketchup. Why is it less healthy than meatballs and rice?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 8:36 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I sometimes serve a cholent-like stew for supper as a full meal. And it's basically our full meal Shabbos day, especially in the winter. Beans, barley, potatoes and meat with onions, garlic, spices and a splash of ketchup. Why is it less healthy than meatballs and rice?

It isn't but on Shabbos we eat a lot of other things.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking