Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Help me figure out how to wear leggings fashionably
1  2  Next

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 12:32 pm
what kind of socks go with leggings? how do you hide the bump where the leggings and socks overlaps?

I have very thin ankles, and usually the material at the end is a little loose, so it looks bumpy with socks.

how does everyone pull off the look?
what kind of shoes do you wear?

do you match the socks to your outfit?

and finally do they make leggings for those of us with very thin calves and ankles? every pair I buy is baggy on me.

Thanks for your help! Very Happy

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 12:40 pm
You wear boots.

Or flats with no socks.

There is no way to make it look fashionable if you see the socks.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 12:40 pm
I mostly wear leggings with boots that come to mid-calf, if not almost up to the knee, so it hides the "seam" where socks and leggings met.

For some reason, the school I send my kids to has a strict "no leggings on kids OR mothers doing carpool" rule*, so I find that wearing leggings with boots makes them more indistinguishable from tights.

* if anyone can explain that to me, I would honestly love the enlightenment. I guess the problem is skin showing from the ankle down if you wear them without socks (in warmer weather, obviously)?

Miri7

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 12:48 pm
Yes - either no socks with flats or boots of some sort. You can wear the short books that just cover the ankle or taller ones.

animeme

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 1:06 pm
Can someone explain the whole "leggings no socks" thing? Leggings keep you warm. Then, no socks makes your feet cold. Or is that just me? Does anyone wear nude knee highs under the leggings for warmth?

gp2.0

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 1:25 pm
animeme wrote:
Can someone explain the whole "leggings no socks" thing? Leggings keep you warm. Then, no socks makes your feet cold. Or is that just me? Does anyone wear nude knee highs under the leggings for warmth?

Depends on how cold it is. In the fall, leggings with socks and boots are too hot. Leggings with no socks and shoes are perfect, or tights with shoes.

Shoes aren't warm enough in the winter, at least for me. So I wear tights with boots on balmier winter days or leggings+socks+boots on freezing days.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 1:39 pm
Ok. So let's say I wear boots. So you can't see the socks. When I am just home I don't wear boots so what kind of socks am I wearing then?

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 1:40 pm
At home I don't wear socks. Just warm slippers or flip flops

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 1:46 pm
amother wrote:
Ok. So let's say I wear boots. So you can't see the socks. When I am just home I don't wear boots so what kind of socks am I wearing then?

I don't wear socks at home, I wear crocs.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 1:49 pm
By the way, another trendy way to wear legging is with trendy sneakers and no show socks. That's my favorite look because it's super comfy but also trendy.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 1:52 pm
amother wrote:

Do you have to be fashionable when you're at home? Sometimes I change into slippers without socks. Sometimes I keep the socks on and pad around in them. I recommend pink socks. They look adorable. 😉

You can stick to neutral dark colored socks that are the same color as the leggings so they aren't as visible. Or you can just change into whatever you usually wear at home.

perquacky

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 1:53 pm
And buy fleece-lined leggings for super cold days.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 2:24 pm
So the only trendy way to wear leggings is by showing skin at the ankle?

No wonder leggings are frowned upon.
And here I thought short socks with leggings (slightly overlapping to not show skin) was a cool look.

So much for my efforts to be tznius and trendy at the same time. Oh well. Sad

Maybe I'll wear tights with short socks instead. At least I won't have the bump.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 2:26 pm
amother wrote:

And here I thought short socks with leggings (slightly overlapping to not show skin) was a cool look.

Maybe I'll wear tights with short socks instead. At least I won't have the bump.

If you wear boots, you won't show skin

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 2:29 pm
amother wrote:

You're wearing the leggings for warmth right? So why not wear boots with them?

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 2:34 pm
But then I come home and have people in my house that I need to be tznius in front of and want to look decent too, (guests etc)
I guess I could just keep doing what I'm doing and wear overlapping socks with the bump but I was hoping for a cooler look.
Maybe like this?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pini.....8.jpg

http://picture-cdn.wheretoget......e.jpg

Why don't they have a bump?

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 2:38 pm
amother wrote:
But then I come home and have people in my house that I need to be tznius in front of and want to look decent too, (guests etc)
I guess I could just keep doing what I'm doing and wear overlapping socks with the bump but I was hoping for a cooler look.
Maybe like this?

I was going to say whatever socks you want to wear at home, but if you really are concerned about being trendy for your guests you can wear slouchy socks, not such it would look good with a midi skirt though. You can get bootie slippers that will mimic the boot look at home.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 2:39 pm
amother wrote:
what kind of socks go with leggings? how do you hide the bump where the leggings and socks overlaps?

I have very thin ankles, and usually the material at the end is a little loose, so it looks bumpy with socks.

how does everyone pull off the look?
what kind of shoes do you wear?

do you match the socks to your outfit?

and finally do they make leggings for those of us with very thin calves and ankles? every pair I buy is baggy on me.

Thanks for your help! Very Happy

My socks are always hidden. Either covered by booties or they're the socks that go just over your heel and don't show past your shoes.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe like this?

Because the sock is over the legging, and the legging ends under the boot.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 3:06 pm
amother wrote:

Either no socks/hidden socks with flats, or anklets that don't reach the leggings (it isn't dressy but it's acceptable for being home).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics