Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Lonely socks
1  2  Next

deedee

Post Wed, Jul 20 2005, 3:10 pm
what does everyone do with all those mis matched socks?
I just read an article that said to keep them around till the next wash if they dont appear then trash them. if u dont want to throw them away then u can use them for arts and crafts, like sock puppets. and not to save socks with holes cause u'll never get around to darning them.
I have a plastic bag filled with mis mismached socks. it has been around forever and keeps getting bigger. now that I read this article I'm just gonna trash them (after I play on final matching game Wink ).

stem

Post Wed, Jul 20 2005, 3:13 pm
I throw all the mismatched socks back in the wash, hoping that their pair will show up next time I'm folding laundry. It doesn't always work, and certain socks are constantly being washed. Confused

deedee

Post Wed, Jul 20 2005, 3:17 pm
thats funny:)
dont u wish laundry would fold its self in the dryer!!

momtomany

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 8:06 pm
I always save the odd socks b/c you never know when you'll end up finding the match. I've found the other half of the pair as much as a year and half later. thank G-D I saved the first one all that time.
under the couch and beds and behind the dryer are favorite places for socks to hide.

Tefila

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 9:18 pm
We never have odd socks since I dyed them all black, we do have mismatched sizes though Scratching Head

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 9:28 pm
throw out that big bag!
my mom has saved bags like that, too. And unless you're going to sit down one day and spend HOURs looking for matches, and even if you do, how many will you find? If you don't find the match within a certain amount of time -- trash them!

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 2:26 pm
I know someone who safety pins the pair together before throwing them in the wash. haven't tried it yet myself, though.

Tefila

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 7:39 pm
o613 obviously she doesn't have alot of boys right?!

queenie

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 1:47 pm
I have a box in the linen closet for extra socks. A bag marked for my husband and one for the kids. I do sometimes get them matched up after a few washes. I sometimes check in laundry hampers and around the hamper and the machines for fallen and forgotten strays.

Sometimes my husband gets holes in only one of his socks so I make him throw them out and then I get left with half a pair. Then I go and get a stray sock to match it up with. He basically has all the same white socks and all the same type of black socks. That keeps it easy.

Or, you could make all the girls wear tights and get rid of all the socks and the boys only wear black socks and then no one will see if they don't match!!

supermom

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 7:07 am
freilich wrote:
We never have odd socks since I dyed them all black, we do have mismatched sizes though Scratching Head

cute one. why bother dying them black just buy them black.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 8:49 pm
my husband also has a lot of the same pairs. He dyes them when the color fades, too!
Btw, I realized I gave advice the other day to throw out those bags of socks -- and then I realized...hey, I don't have a bag of socks, but I do have a DRAWER of knee-highs!! So today I sat down and matched them up. If I didn't find a match -- I tossed them. If ONE DAY I find the lost sock...well, too late....he'll meet him in the dumpster

lucky

Post Thu, Jul 28 2005, 2:03 pm
I now have only 11 stray socks!! Always remember the best way to find the 2nd sock is to throw out the first.

Crayon210

Post Fri, Aug 05 2005, 3:58 am
When my husband and I got married, he brought single socks into the marriage...it's been an uphill battle ever since, the bags getting bigger and bigger...I recently decided that I would start throwing out the single socks every Erev Rosh Hashana and Erev Pesach, since I seriously want to cut down on clutter.

If you find the sock a year and a half later, it may be very gratifying, but at the same time, there was all that agmas nefesh for the year and a half, so you have to weigh the price of agmas nefesh against the price of one pair of socks.

Last edited by Crayon210 on Sun, May 04 2008, 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tefila

Post Fri, Aug 05 2005, 1:42 pm
Quote:
why bother dying them black just buy them black
Super b/c the white 4 some silly reason is cheaper by the dozen Confused

Rivk

Post Fri, Aug 05 2005, 3:11 pm
This is a little strange but sometimes when I'm folding laundry I imagine in my head that each sock needs a shidduch. Sometimes it goes easily and quickly for some socks, but others end up sitting around for a while and waiting for their "bashert". Sadly, sometimes I end up with an old maid or a bachelor!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Aug 05 2005, 5:52 pm
good one!

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Sun, Aug 07 2005, 6:31 pm
There is s/thing you can buy prob. in pharmacies and discount stores, for a dollar maybe, it's specially made to hold socks together while washing/drying them.

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Aug 07 2005, 8:34 pm
something like a "net bag" Malks2005?

Mommy912

Post Sun, Aug 07 2005, 9:16 pm
http://www.sockpro.com/ try this

queen

Post Sun, Aug 07 2005, 10:33 pm
I use them allll the time, and it's great!
slip the pair through one of these things before putting socks into laundry at night.

(I don't use the brand just advocated for, however whatever I came across in the drug store at the time I bought them.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry