Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lakewood girls high schools

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 7:38 pm
I wanted to know how many classes of each grade the following schools have:

Bnos Bais Yaakov
Shiras Devora
Oros
Bais Kaila

Thank you!

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 7:56 pm
I can tell you bais Kaila has 2 or three classes in a grade ( depends on the year) with class size averaging 25-30 girls.

Don't know about the rest

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 9:46 pm
BBY has 2 classes of each grade

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 11:47 am
amother wrote:
I wanted to know how many classes of each grade the following schools have:

Bnos Bais Yaakov
Shiras Devora
Oros
Bais Kaila

Thank you!

Bais Kaila has 2 or 3 classes of each grade. Mostly 3. approximately 25 girls per class.
BBY has two classes per grade.
Shiras Devora has 4 classes per grade (perhaps not of 12th)
Oros has 3

As others have mentioned, check the class size as well. I've heard that in Shiras Devorah there are more than 30 girls in some classes. Don't take my word for it though - do your own checking.

proudema

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 12:25 am
How many classes does Bais Yakov have?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 10:43 am
proudema wrote:
How many classes does Bais Yakov have?

At least 4. With upwards of 35 girls per class.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 11:43 am
I heard shiras devora u have to be the studious type and fit the mold. Bais kaila im hearing has a great 9th and tenth grade and has really changed.

proudema

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:34 pm
Chayalle wrote:
At least 4. With upwards of 35 girls per class.

Wow! These schools are huge! My daughter wants to go to one of the more established ones such as Bais yaakov or shiras Devora but she also wants smaller class sizes. Don't know that that exists in Lakewood!

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 9:58 am
proudema wrote:
Wow! These schools are huge! My daughter wants to go to one of the more established ones such as Bais yaakov or shiras Devora but she also wants smaller class sizes. Don't know that that exists in Lakewood!

I think those two schools are the biggest. No smaller class size in either of those.

Hatzlacha to your DD!

ETA: This kind of makes me smile. I remember my oldest didn't want to apply to SD because she wanted an established high school, not one where there would only be a 9th and 10th grade. And now it's an established school! Amazing how quickly growth happens......

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 10:16 am
My family is considered very yeshivish, but we have an out of town type mentality... Low gashmiyus standards, accepting of all types/backgrounds, etc. We were recommended to apply to the most "yeshivish" high-schools for our daughter because that's our persona, but the more I'm hearing about Bais Kaila, the more attractive it's sounding...please give a really good description of what the incoming ninth grade will be. I'm totally happy with a mix of girls, BUT my daughters were once in a fantastic school (outside of Lakewood) that just did not attract the yeshivish crowd. Lots of nice, frum, balebatish families, but my daughters were almost the only girls in their grades with fathers in long term learning/ klei kodesh. It did start to make a difference as they got older, especially in gashmiyus standards. It was part of why we chose to move, for more options of similar friends (hashkafically and economically). We love all types of friends, but it's never healthy to be the "only one.". My question is, will my daughter have a nice percentage girls from very similar homes in her class if we choose Bais Kaila? I heard they are reinventing their student population, but what will that really mean? Tia!

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 11:06 am
I heard from someone that has a daughter there now that the 9th and 10th grade are excellent and that they really changed for the good. Definitely sounds like u would fit there.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 11:10 am
Ok, thanks, but if anyone knows very specifically, what percentage of girls with klei Kodesh type lifestyle would you say would populate a ninth grade class? Thank you

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 11:17 am
It's hard to know based on what you write. Where is your DD now? Where are her friends going? What are her aspirations? How does she relate to peer pressure?

There are definitely parents in BK who are learning or in Klei Kodesh (my DH is one of them!) but as in every school in town, there's a mix. Also, I find that in Lakewood being in Kollel or a Rebbe, etc...does not necessarily equate a low standard of Gashmiyus. I myself grew up simply and wanted a simpler lifestyle, but definitely have more gashmiyus than I grew up with or than I ideally want, to be perfectly honest..... Lakewood is not the simple community it once was.

I do think that there is less peer pressure in BK than in some other schools, but you might find like-minded friends in every single school in town, because there's quite a mix. DD has friends in BY, in Oros, in SD, everywhere...that are like herself. I don't know if she had gone to any other school if she would be different. She's the type that just finds friends like herself, and the hub that goes on around her doesn't bother her. But I have a relative whose child has a need to be in the center of things, and she's had some challenges in this regard.

I think it really depends more on you daughter, and her relationship to peer pressure, than anything else. Some kids are more confident and just gravitate to friends like themselves. They are comfortable with themselves and it doesn't bother them if there's an "in" crowd with peer pressure going on that they are not part of. Other kids have the type of personality where they tend to need more things, and be part of whoever is running the show, and look like them and dress/accesorize like them.... These are factors to consider about your child when choosing a school.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 11:45 am
Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. I'd rather not post the name of my daughter's school, but I will say it is considered prestigious academically, and most of her class wants to go to Oros.

To describe my daughter, she is extremely smart, academic, artistic, aidel, and reserved. Her teachers and principal love her maturity and respectful nature. She is "with it", has the right clothes, but not the amount or brands that some schools seem to require for social acceptance. She is not interested in a highschool with a prestigious name (although she would have no issue getting in), she is more reserved and wants a school that will draw her out, give her a chance to shine with her talents (not just academically) even though she'll never be a macher.

She would be very happy as long as she makes one or two close friends with whom, in her words, she can have a "real friendship.". As I mentioned earlier, we moved to Lakewood a few years ago, and my daughter has this out of town sincerity, it's hard to describe exactly what I mean...she finds the girls in her class, even the ones from very similar homes, to have a guarded quality to them...they might have beautiful middos, but they are very closed and guarded. She wants girls who are more open, " more normal" (her words). She is very respected and admired for her good qualities in her school, but does not feel close to any particular girl...she is hoping that will change in highschool...

Bais Kaila sounds like it might encourage a little less guarded mentality in the girls, a little more sincerity and confidence to be "real.". But I really want to make sure many of the girls in her class will also be from homes on the same page economically and hashkafically.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 11:45 am
R

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 12:56 pm
I hear. She might find that in BK - girls being open to friendships. It can take a few months but I do find that that is one of BK's strong points - the Achdus, the inclusiveness and warmth. My DD happens to have a good friend who moved to Lakewood from OOT and she really appreciates her refined OOT type. Also, BK really encourages the girls to get involved in all extra-curricular activities, and girls generally get accepted into the activities they are interested in - it's not an exclusive club. You like to sing and you sing well, you can join the choir. You dance, you can join the dance. It's not a closed circle. And they will gently push you to spread your wings and shine, if you are shy about it.

There will be girls who are into the brands and designers but I don't find it to be a big focus, at least not among the girls my DD's have gravitated to. My girls are the type that are put-together from inexpensive stores, and no one cares about that (they get tons of compliments for looking nice in clothes from H&M and the like).

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 1:05 pm
Thank you so much Chayalle! I found your post very encouraging, I'm going to share it with my daughter. Have a good Shabbos : )

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 1:15 pm
Good Shabbos to you too! Glad to help!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics