Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Putting down a sleeping baby
1  2  Next

Seraph

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 2:29 pm
My baby often falls asleep in my arms, or while nursing. The second I put him down in his crib, he wakes up. (Ok, not every single time, but at least 7/8s of the time.) Last night, it was going on for at least 2 hrs straight. I nursed him, he fell asleep while nursing, I moved him to the crib, he woke up, nursed again, fell asleep, moved him, woke up. etc and on and on. the only way I got sleep last night was by nursing him lying down in bed and sleeping with him in my arms.

How do I get him to not wake up when I move him to the crib?

And the baby could not possibly have been hungry. It surely was comfort sucking, because how much can a baby need to nurse already? Within 2 minutes of nursing he was asleep. I have such a cheshek to get him a pacifyer already, because maybe I'd be able to rock him to sleep in the crib while he's sucking a pacifyer, but I don't wanna cause nipple confusion so dont want to introduce a pacifier before 6 weeks.

What do you suggest I do?

hila

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 2:35 pm
Welcome to motherhood.
I ended up eith my youngest in my bed. It was the only way we both could sleep.

cosleeping is accepted worldwide. Do what works for you.

And as for teh motsetz - plenty will say do and others say dont.

You need rest. you need sleep too. Do what you feel best about.

Some babies need to suck more than others. I became really Israeli and all mine had a motsetz(pacifier) . I got rid of it at about a year.

Sometimes all those theories have to go out the window in order to keep your sanity.

BTW my kids all nursed for long times - the youngest till he was 3 and they all had bottles from 5-6 months too.

Good luck.

suomynona

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 3:46 pm
You said that your baby cries when you put him down, not when you stop nursing. So how do you know a pacifier would even help? Maybe he just needs to be held.
I'm just speaking from my experience of having one child, but your post brings back memories. The first few weeks, my son would also wake up when he was put down. Sometimes it would take a full 1/2 hour for him to realize that he wasn't being held anymore and wake up. Every time I put him down after nursing, we would pray he wouldn't wake up. So for him, the issue was more being held than sucking. IN fact he didn't even really take a pacifier for the first while. Even when I found a shape pacifier he liked, it still kept on falling out of his mouth 'til he was at least 6 months old - but sometimes worked for the initial calming down - that's why we kept it at all.
I remember my sister had to keep her newborn in her bed all the time in order to get sleep, but that stage only lasted a week or two.
The newborn stage is the hardest, but it really does pass!

Twizzlers

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 8:43 pm
just a suggestion - instead of a pacifier, try your finger. I didnt really want to use a pacifier either and I tried my finger. it really worked. yeah, you'll have to stand next to his crib for a couple of minutes until he conks out, but then he's out where he belongs. good luck

Pickle Lady

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 8:45 pm
when you put the baby down, keep your hand on him for a few minutes until he settles. Also if he keeps waking up right after anyways then hes really not sleeping.

gryp

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 9:12 pm
I've heard of nipple confusion but never experienced it. And I gave each of my babies a pacifier just about from day one when they wanted me to be their pacifier.

I don't know why people say the newborn stage is the hardest. For me it's the easiest. Much easier than being 9 months pregnant and easier than 3,6, or 9 months old too.

Tehilla

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 9:34 pm
I did this with my second DD and it was a pain, but I really wanted to take no chances with nursing problems. The hospital messed up my nursing with first DD and I was wanting no questions this time...so...here's what I did.

Used my finger. No pacifier, no bottles.
Co-sleeping (still) love it.
For naps, until old enough to roll over I nursed her to sleep in bed and checked very very often on her. Also, our mattresses are on the floor not high, and I didn't use blankets. People will blast you about it possibly, but I was hyper-careful about it.
Once older she slept/sleeps in the stroller for naps.

But, DO WHAT YOU feel is best. Trust your instincts and find your own routine! and mazel tov again. Very Happy

justanothermother

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 10:11 pm
I keep my newborns in a sling during the day and in bed with me at night. I can nurse the baby in the sling, and when they fall asleep, there is no transition to another space.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 10:26 pm
I am writing this post with a 6 week baby sleeping over my shoulder. I am going to put her down in aminute but here is what I am doing.
I am putting her down on her tummy, I find that when shes on her back she wakes herself up with her thrashing and uncontrolled movements. She sleeps much more soundly on her tummy. Also I wait until she is in the 2nd stage of sleep, a deeper sleep, not when I can stil see her lips moving or shes making these sleepy smiles... I wait until shes out and then lay her down. Do you have a swing? During the day my baby sleeps in the swing, the rocking keeps her in a nice sleep for longer.

Also, most importantly, the baby has to be really tired to sleep well. How many hours a day does he sleep?

su7kids

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 10:37 pm
Swaddling the baby is an option.

What is also a good idea is to keep the baby in the same position that he fell asleep in, like, if he's on his left side in your arms, put him down on his left side, and keep him snug with your hand on him until he settles. He feels very secure in your arms, and when you put him down, it scares him.

cip

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 11:32 pm
sometimes to sleep in infant chair/car seat. it's cosy. also, a crib bumper is cosy. and transfer slowly. if crib on wheels, then rock a few seconds.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 12:41 am
I doubt he'll have nipple confusion over a pacifier. if you wait too long to introduce it he might not want it anymore. if he's nursing nicely I say try the pacifier.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 6:57 am
Is he really crying or just fussing? A baby can fuss for a minute or two before falling asleep and that's OK. No need to intervene. A screaming, crying baby is a different story. Get used to letting him fuss (not scream!) when you put him down and he will learn to fall asleep on his own - which believe me you will appreciate when he is bigger. Try not to train him to only sleep when being held.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 7:17 am
I tried putting Nati into his crib right away and it didn't work.

So for the first 6 weeks, I nursed him in bed until we both fell asleep and he stayed in bed through the night.

Then at 6 weeks, I moved him into his crib by nursing him while I was sitting up (so I wouldn't fall asleep) and when he'd be mostly asleep I'd put him into his crib. I partially blocked out a 'Nati-sized' area and it worked. Also at 6 weeks he began taking a pacifier (and I had to try several different styles before finding one he likes).

Everything takes time and getting used to and just when you think you've gotten it, he goes through a growth spurt or has a vaccination or you go away and it ends up messing up all your hard work.

Welcome to motherhood - the sleep deprived.

Nicole

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 10:32 am
Another point is, that in the beginning, it's normal for a baby to "cluster feed" for hours at a time. He'll nurse, then fall asleep, and wake up when you put him down wanting to nurse again. Is he "rooting" when he wakes up or just crying? If he's rooting it may be the cluster feeding- otherwise, see everyone's excellent suggestions above.
Cluster feeding is Hashem's way of establishing a good milk supply at the beginning.

cdawnr

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 1:58 pm
We are having hte same thing with our new one, last night was a mess until my dh took her into bed and slept with her--not a peep out of her from2-6 am.

We remembered this happened with dd also and what we did was put towels or blankets rolled up in the basinet to shrink the space. I think that the basinetts are too wide open and they feel the difference.

Anyway, we are gtoing to try that again ...and in general, just keep robotically going along until 6 weeks, when the baby usually starts to get more patterned.,..

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 2:06 pm
Breslov, your baby sounds like... a baby. He wants YOU: his extension, his comfort, his warmth, his love. You feel great, smell great, sound great and dispense the elixir of life. What's not to love? I would cry if you put me down too. It doesn't last till the bar mitzva, not even till 1st grade. You are going through a TINY part of your child's life. Go with the flow, don't fight him. If he wants you - then keep him next to you. Day, night - whenever. Give him what he needs so that as he grows, he will do so confidently, and you will know you gave him the best. I am not an advocate of pacifiers, but I know they work for some. If it doesn't work for you baby, just keep nursing. He's not taking advantage of you, he needs you!
I personally forgot all schedules and times with my babies - my life was theirs for the first few months. It goes away, sadly to say, but that is the normal course of things. You will see...
Mazal Tov and cherish every moment. It's gone in the blink of an eye!

Seraph

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 2:33 pm
Nicole wrote:
Another point is, that in the beginning, it's normal for a baby to "cluster feed" for hours at a time. He'll nurse, then fall asleep, and wake up when you put him down wanting to nurse again. Is he "rooting" when he wakes up or just crying? If he's rooting it may be the cluster feeding- otherwise, see everyone's excellent suggestions above.
Cluster feeding is Hashem's way of establishing a good milk supply at the beginning.

I'm not sure. I don't remember. Could be it is rooting, I dunno.
I'll try shrinking the basinet space- that could be it. He has no problem sleeping in his chair or in the stroller- I guess the wide open space scares him?

Tamiri, the only issue I have with him nursing this much... is I'm a little sore. And not because he has a bad latch- he has a great latch. But my nipples are spending more time in his mouth than out nearly.

I actually started him with the pacifier. It works, I think. He takes it, is content, but when he's hungry or something he spits it out and starts looking for my nipple. Guess it will work.

And b'h he is nursing well- he already weighs more than he did at birth, 5 days ago.

Nicole

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 4:50 pm
breslov wrote:
Tamiri, the only issue I have with him nursing this much... is I'm a little sore. And not because he has a bad latch- he has a great latch. But my nipples are spending more time in his mouth than out nearly.

This should get better soon. do not fear!

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 4:56 pm
if your nipples are sore. lansinoh is a great product for sore nipples. Also if the baby doesn't have a proper latch then it will make your breasts sore. make sure his lips are tucked out.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics